Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 11:03 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,999,386 times

Advertisements

On December 21st and probably January 10 I'm driving from Reno to Los Angeles, and then back (the Reno board is dead so I figured I would ask here).

I'm doing the drive myself with my Border Collie/Australian mix and hoping to do it in 1 day with just stops and no motel.

I really do not want to do the 5 or the 395.

What are some fun stops along the way both for my dog and I?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 11:20 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,348,992 times
Fun? Along the 99? I know the route quite well at least between Wheeler Ridge and Fresno because I drive it regularly and honestly, I can't think of anything that could be considered "fun".

Most of the route is rural and passes through farmland save for Bakersfield, Fresno, and a number of small and medium sized towns along the way.

About the only thing even remotely interesting might be Bravo Farms, which is in Traver about 15 min north of Visalia (Hwy 198 Jct). It's kind of a neat place with all sorts of locally produced cheeses, candies, assorted fruits, nuts, gifts, etc. It's definitely a tourist trap no question about it. But still not a bad place. The BBQ tri-tip sandwiches ARE pretty good though.

Outside of gas or bathroom stops, that's about the only place off the top of my head that I can really suggest.

Since it appears that you will be heading southbound, you really have to watch out for the signage leading to it. It's on the east side of the highway and it's very easy to blow right past it if you aren't paying attention. It's about ten minutes south of Kingsburg. You will have to exit the freeway, cross over it, and make a right turn. Because of how it and the adjacent roads are laid out, access to it and getting back to the freeway is much more difficult going southbound than north.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Fun? Along the 99? I know the route quite well at least between Wheeler Ridge and Fresno because I drive it regularly and honestly, I can't think of anything that could be considered "fun".

Most of the route is rural and passes through farmland save for Bakersfield, Fresno, and a number of small and medium sized towns along the way.

About the only thing even remotely interesting might be Bravo Farms, which is in Traver about 15 min north of Visalia (Hwy 198 Jct). It's kind of a neat place with all sorts of locally produced cheeses, candies, assorted fruits, nuts, gifts, etc. It's definitely a tourist trap no question about it. But still not a bad place. The BBQ tri-tip sandwiches ARE pretty good though.

Outside of gas or bathroom stops, that's about the only place off the top of my head that I can really suggest.

Since it appears that you will be heading southbound, you really have to watch out for the signage leading to it. It's on the east side of the highway and it's very easy to blow right past it if you aren't paying attention. It's about ten minutes south of Kingsburg. You will have to exit the freeway, cross over it, and make a right turn. Because of how it and the adjacent roads are laid out, access to it and getting back to the freeway is much more difficult going southbound than north.
See I've been told that the 99 has more stops along the way the 395 and the 5 which is why I want to do it. I've done the drive with the 5 and 80 and there's NOTHING.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:23 PM

17,653 posts, read 22,721,103 times
I don't remember anything special on 99, except maybe 1 or 2 cheese tasting rooms.

On I-5 AT Santa Nella, take the off ramp... to the right is Taco Bell, Denny's, McDonalds (McD has nice restrooms & an area to walk your dog). To the left is Split Pea Andersen's, Truck Stop, Carls Jr, etc

Drive Safely.

Have a FUN Adventure...

Old 12-08-2013, 03:33 PM

3,252 posts, read 6,330,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
See I've been told that the 99 has more stops along the way the 395 and the 5 which is why I want to do it. I've done the drive with the 5 and 80 and there's NOTHING.
There are many places to stop since you will be passing through many small cities and towns.

Examples:

Elk Grove Dog Park

Elk Grove Dog Park - Elk Grove, CA

Texas Roadhouse to go - your dog would love the Cowboy Cut sirloin! Call ahead to save time on the road.

Modesto, California - Steakhouse - Family Restaurant - Texas Roadhouse Locations

Tulare Outlet Mall - close to 99 but not much fun for your dog!

Tulare Outlet Center :: 1407 Retherford Street, Tulare, CA

Petsmart in Bakersfield for some dog treats!

PetSmart in Bakersfield, California - Bakersfield (Ming Ave)

Last edited by capoeira; 12-08-2013 at 03:42 PM..

Old 12-08-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
There are many places to stop since you will be passing through many small cities and towns.

Examples:

Elk Grove Dog Park

Elk Grove Dog Park - Elk Grove, CA

Texas Roadhouse to go - your dog would love the Cowboy Cut sirloin! Call ahead to save time on the road.

Modesto, California - Steakhouse - Family Restaurant - Texas Roadhouse Locations

Tulare Outlet Mall - close to 99 but not much fun for your dog!

Tulare Outlet Center :: 1407 Retherford Street, Tulare, CA

Petsmart in Bakersfield for some dog treats!

PetSmart in Bakersfield, California - Bakersfield (Ming Ave)
Sounds like a fun day

Old 12-09-2013, 11:53 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,661,295 times
Just an FYI. Given the dearth of excitement along 99, you might seriously consider taking 5. I take 99 to get from Sac to my mom's house in Tulare, and it's a really obnoxious trip right now. Lots of construction. Even if you avoid major slowdowns from the traffic, it's still a lot of fairly thick traffic, narrow driving along construction barriers, and a ton of semi trucks hopping in to the passing lane occasionally and generally slowing everyone down. 5 is *much* less stressful for a long trip like you're proposing. If nothing else, you can always take it just one direction and not the other.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuns View Post
Just an FYI. Given the dearth of excitement along 99, you might seriously consider taking 5. I take 99 to get from Sac to my mom's house in Tulare, and it's a really obnoxious trip right now. Lots of construction. Even if you avoid major slowdowns from the traffic, it's still a lot of fairly thick traffic, narrow driving along construction barriers, and a ton of semi trucks hopping in to the passing lane occasionally and generally slowing everyone down. 5 is *much* less stressful for a long trip like you're proposing. If nothing else, you can always take it just one direction and not the other.
the main reasons i want to take this road this winter is because
1. i've been told the roads are easier to drive than 395 and 5 in the wintertime (assuming there is ice and some snow on the road).
2. there's more stops on the way... i'm a single woman doing the drive alone and would feel safer knowing in 2 miles is a gas station and mcdonald's than on the 5 where you are lucky if there is a truck stop every now and then.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:08 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,661,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
the main reasons i want to take this road this winter is because
1. i've been told the roads are easier to drive than 395 and 5 in the wintertime (assuming there is ice and some snow on the road).
2. there's more stops on the way... i'm a single woman doing the drive alone and would feel safer knowing in 2 miles is a gas station and mcdonald's than on the 5 where you are lucky if there is a truck stop every now and then.
Your choice--just adding my perspective that 99 is pretty tiring driving these days.

For what it's worth, weather conditions on 5 and 99 are basically identical. There's sometimes snow on I-5 at the Grapevine pass before you get to LA, but that's after 99 and 5 merge, so there's no good way to avoid it. Definitely skip 395 in the winter.

Not sure that more small towns would actually correlate positively with safety. I'd be willing to bet that the traffic and construction on 99 would increase your chances of something bad happening far more than any potential safety issues during your stops. Besides, I believe all of I-5 has decent cell phone coverage.

Just adding my 2 cents. I have a serious distaste for driving 99 and relish the opportunity to turn on the cruise control out on I-5 once in a while.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:41 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,240,863 times
Whichever route is chosen, weather can be a big factor in the winter. If 5 or 99, the mountains going west from Reno on 80 or 50 can be snowy or icy. Not mentioned yet is the killer winter fogs that envelop the Valley each year. Seems like every year there is a horrible crash on 5 or 99 that involves up to as many as a hundred vehicles. On 395 there is, of course, the threat of snow. Were I to make this trip, would check the forecast for snow, and if clear, would choose 395. Not that remote or isolated, several small towns along the way to gas up or eat, or to take a break. As a bonus, there is the magnificent scenery of the Eastern High Sierras along the way, not the utter drabness of 5 or 99. Second choice would be 99, last 5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento