Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 05:05 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,785,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Typically when a police force is instructed to remove the "bad apples" from the neighborhood, they focus on the "darkest" apples instead, because there isn't an objective and foolproof way to look at people and tell who is a "bad apple" and who is not. The result is racial profiling.
This is especially true when a cottage industry of "race hustling" has emerged, in which there is a view that the "authentic" behavior of "darker apple" people in said inner cities *is* to behave like thugs and criminals, and those of us who are "lighter apples" (Golden Delicious? Fujiis? Granny Smiths? Jonathans? Winesaps?) have some kind of "privilege" that makes us behave like decent citizens. This is known as Turning Crime Into A Civil Right.

A favorite tactic used here is better known as The Big Lie, in which thugs and criminals are magically transmuted into "gentle giants" by gullible (charitably) or disingenuous and frankly treasonous (more likely) media hacks.

Emphasis is put on superficially factual, but utterly misleading, terms, like "unarmed". News flash: thugs who are muscular and large can--and do--beat a person *to death* or something close to it, and yet they were/are still "unarmed".

Quote:
That being said, there is already a lot of low-income housing in Del Paso Heights and North Sacramento. And the reason why concentrating low-income people into particular sections of town is a bad idea is because it creates a ghetto--which is a major reason why Oak Park and Del Paso Heights/Old North Sacramento (which are two adjacent neighborhoods of what used to be an independent city) look the way they do now
There is also a lot of low income housing around Stockton Blvd and Florin Road, yet that area is starting to take off. Could it have something to do with the temperment and industry of the recent residents?

Quote:
(along with freeway construction, which cut traffic to their commercial streets.).
Thru Traffic does not want to be subjected to a slow crawl through commercial streets--who knew?

Yet somehow, many commercial districts still thrive despite having a freeway that goes nearby, but not through, them. Who knew?

Could it be that the commercial district has to be at least somewhat *appealing*, like the area in the vicinity of Stockton and Florin has become?

Quote:
Gentrification works best as a bottom-up process that comes from the neighborhood and the people in it, not a top-down official decision that "this area shall be officially gentrified by mayoral decree."
Quote:
A lot of those "empty, vacant plots" are places where something used to be, and an investor is sitting on them hoping that the price will go up a suitable amount. They are typically unconcerned with how those vacant plots or vacant buildings affect the city around them, because their main concern is their own economic bottom line, not how it's going to affect the rest of the city. The city could enforce codes regarding abandoned buildings and vacant lots more strictly, but that wouldn't be "business friendly" so they don't--and often the city is a poor example of property stewardship in that regard.
Are you advocating "a bottom up process" to extort and harass property owners??? That is its own form of "top-down", frankly....

Could it be that the property owners are simply reacting to a historical city-sponsored "redevelopment" pattern, and that if it was made clear to them that such a pattern was *not* going to happen anymore, they might behave as did property owners in Midtown, who didn't expect any subsidies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 09:48 PM

8,680 posts, read 17,217,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeJeH View Post
There's the SJW
I guess that makes you the NIMBY, then?
Quote:
I mean, you said concentrating low-income housing in certain areas creates ghettos and that's why it's a bad idea. The areas I'm talking about are already ghettos!
Often they were not ghettoes until they became the de facto destinations for the poor during the redevelopment era, when they were still prohibited from moving to the suburbs. And just because an injustice exists doesn't mean it's just fine to make things worse by continuing the injustice on the basis that people were already doing it.

Quote:
Why create little pockets of poverty in brand new neighborhoods (think North Natomas), or have little pockets of ghetto spread out all over the city when all of that housing could be concentrated in neighborhoods that are already bad?
Because economic diversity within a neighborhood creates opportunities for the folks who make the least money, and reduces the need for long-distance commuting by allowing those who work service jobs to live in closer proximity to their workplaces.

I suppose if you subscribe to the questionable social theory that some people are just bad, and you can tell who is bad because bad people are poor (maybe because God hates them and punishes them by making them poor), and those people have to be segregated away from the rest of society or maybe gotten rid of entirely, then you could justify your position (or NickB's.) I don't agree with that social theory.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:03 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,785,256 times
Quote:
I suppose if you subscribe to the questionable social theory that some people are just bad, and you can tell who is bad because bad people are poor (maybe because God hates them and punishes them by making them poor), and those people have to be segregated away from the rest of society or maybe gotten rid of entirely, then you could justify your position (or NickB's.) I don't agree with that social theory.
I will bet I am "poorer" than you. But I get up, go to work, and do what I need to do. Some people, however, *don't*.

I realize that is anathema to your ideology that some people are just perpetual victims who have no responsibility for themselves, but those people exist nonetheless.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:29 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,464,632 times
I don't know. Not knowing Sac well I perused a location or two in the aforementioned "bad" hoods but as far as I could tell from Google Earth the latest one I looked at just appeared to be a normal, newer suburban neighborhood (around Valley Hi and Franklin as mentioned above). I guess you just have to be there to know.

Old 09-27-2014, 02:08 AM

660 posts, read 1,077,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
I don't know. Not knowing Sac well I perused a location or two in the aforementioned "bad" hoods but as far as I could tell from Google Earth the latest one I looked at just appeared to be a normal, newer suburban neighborhood (around Valley Hi and Franklin as mentioned above). I guess you just have to be there to know.
Lol that neighborhood is even worse.

All of Sacramento looks like a normal, suburban neighborhood, for the most part. Most of the homes in Sacramento are ~40 years old or newer. Looks can be deceiving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento