U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 11:23 PM

1,342 posts, read 1,805,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Why, how unusual...a city in the middle of the most bountiful agricultural valley in the nation with a large construction trade seems to have a lot of working-class white people in it, who, oddly enough, dress, talk and act like working-class white people!

Of course, they are far from alone--compared to Portland and Denver, Sacramento is far, far less Caucasian. Heck, those two cities are positively bleached. And as FentonForche has pointed out, when people talk about Sacramento they are often actually referring to places near it that aren't actually in Sacramento, but he's guilty of it himself--the concentration of trucks (with or without nuts) gets higher as you get out into the suburbs, while the city itself is more Volvo/Prius country.

Sacramento' farm country was always pretty culturally mixed--Italians, Portuguese, Chinese, Japanese, Mexicans, Indians and so on, from the late 19th century through the present day. We got a large influx of Southern/Midwestern working class white folks in the 1930s during the "Dust Bowl" era--hungry "Okies" looking for work in our fields and factories, and an influx of African Americans during World War II seeking factory work and jobs near our military bases. The result is a cultural melange that is uniquely American--if you compare the cultural mix of Sacramento to the cultural mix of America as a whole, they're a pretty close match. Portland, on the other hand, is really, really, really, REALLY white. Part of its passive-aggressive mealymouthed liberalism is its distinct shortage of the sort of grumpy soul that a city acquires when it has a diverse population. But, of course, when a lot of people ask on Internet forums for "nice neighborhoods," what they really mean is "white neighborhoods," so they don't get a lot of positive answers about Sacramento....but its far more caucasian suburbs are another matter entirely.

One thing about Sacramento-area rednecks is that there is also a subset of redneck hipsters. Some of those tattooed motorheads at the auto shop spend their nights being part of Sacramento's rowdy brand of sixties-punk rock & roll/rockabilly scene, or hanging out at tattoo studios or dive bars. Instead of a primered Camaro in their driveway they're likely to have an art car they built to show off at Burning Man (or both!) Musically the ones into country are likely to be into old-school Western Swing or bluegrass, while some who grew up as suburban metalheads got ahold of a Black Flag tape at some point and are now the musicians and audience for local sludgy noise-rock bands like the Mayyors, mutant psychedelia like the Ganglians or crazed funk expatriates !!!.

I guess some of us poor benighted rednecks just like it here. I consider myself a fairly educated guy, not immune to culture, but I'd rather go to the midnight movies than the opera, and a burger and fries sounds more appealing than a gourmet meal. I guess I live in the perfect place for that, because if I want to pay a bunch of money some arugula on a stick or feel a dire need to see a performance artist hop around in a circle while yodeling, I can pretty much walk to that if I want to.

I don't own a set of truck nuts, because they'd drag on the ground if I tried to attach them to the rear axle of my Volvo.

If this is the type of redneck that exists in the Sacramento area, thats definitely not as bad a thing as say the Dale Earnhardt/Nascar/jacked up Ford crowd. I can definitely live with this or maybe the redneck type who is like Neil Fallon from Clutch. These types exist in Portland as well so, if this is the case, I look at it more like a progressive hillbilly kinda thing.
And I know where I live, the redneck hipster types as you so called say feature girls who are in the roller derby scene as well but that crowd is a minority in South FL. In South FL, its mostly the Nascar watching Natty light drinking crowd.

I think I will like Sacramento better myself when I get to the area.
Rate this post positively

Old 02-13-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
I don't know about everything else, but the hot and sunny applies to 3 maybe 4 months. You make it sound like the Mojave Desert.
Yea or South FL/Arizona lol. Sacramento in pictures looks like a hot kinda climate, but looks to have a nice mix of that and rain/cold. Not as bad as FL/AZ, not as warm as SD/LA and just its own deal going on.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
BTW, I've been to Portland. Sorry to say, but I was not impressed. I think the Sacramento area has far greater diversity in cultures/cuisines/lifestyles/neighborhoods/climate/topography.
Your the first I seen to say how Sacramento beats Portland in culture AND in restaurants. You lived there, you know better than me so.. Does Sacramento have some of those type foodcarts that Portland does? Brewpubs?

I have Portland on my list mostly, but am moving to Sacramento area soon (long story) and may even make my life there if I find Sacramento is to my liking enough or depending on who I meet. Has to beat South FL anyhow for sure. Sac could be my new home, but either way it could be an inbetween point from here to get me to Portland since I been fixated on Portland for awhile since I visited there. Either way..

Also yes, I think the most severe rednecks one will find is in the south or parts of the midwest. In Sacramentos conservative areas I suppose I could see it like a Christian non redneck conservative kind of deal or live and let live conservatives rather than the paranoid gun fanatics.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:41 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,562,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post
Your the first I seen to say how Sacramento beats Portland in culture AND in restaurants. You lived there, you know better than me so.. Does Sacramento have some of those type foodcarts that Portland does? Brewpubs?

I have Portland on my list mostly, but am moving to Sacramento area soon (long story) and may even make my life there if I find Sacramento is to my liking enough or depending on who I meet. Has to beat South FL anyhow for sure. Sac could be my new home, but either way it could be an inbetween point from here to get me to Portland since I been fixated on Portland for awhile since I visited there. Either way..

Also yes, I think the most severe rednecks one will find is in the south or parts of the midwest. In Sacramentos conservative areas I suppose I could see it like a Christian non redneck conservative kind of deal or live and let live conservatives rather than the paranoid gun fanatics.
Well, I didn't say that Sac beats Portland in "culture". I said it beats Portland in "cultures", meaning that it has more diversity in cultures. However, I would suffice to say that the median level of education is probably higher amongst the residents of Portland than Sacramento. Portland is probably a bit more hip as well, although Sacramento is quickly catching up and becoming a lot more vibrant.

Also, Sacramento's food truck scene is sorely lacking because of a very regressive and stupid local government which is very hostile to this important staple to a lively dining scene. However, with that said, I think Sacramento has a better overall restaurant scene than Portland precisely due to the diversity that we enjoy. We have a multitude of ethnic foods and restaurants from Persian to Ethiopian to Sichuanese. Hope that satisfies your questions.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:40 AM

323 posts, read 905,876 times
Sacramento's food scene is not on the same level of Portland's or SF, although we are in a "New restaraunt opening every week phase."

Portland's food scene is insane, we don't have anything on that level here, yet.

Portland has over 400 food carts we have....like 5 and law repressing them.

Another great thing is Oregon has no sales tax, everything is cheaper.

Just typing this makes me want to visit again, but don't get me wrong, I'm glad to live in Sacramento over Portland.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:02 AM

956 posts, read 1,813,739 times
I enjoy Sacramento too. I'll take it over Portland, but Portland is a decade ahead of Sacramento in everything i.e.- mass transit, urban development, green tech, food and culture.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:23 PM

8,375 posts, read 15,215,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post

Sacramento does have some food carts, although they are strictly controlled--it is food trucks that have a recently-passed ordinance that threatens to severely limit their ability to operate. However, there are plenty trying to turn that around--and the fact that the main supporter of that particular ordinance is no longer on the City Council may aid in its repeal. And there are events like this planned:

SactoMoFo

There are brewpubs here, and a growing beer culture--brewing has roots here going back to the Gold Rush. We're not as microbrew crazy as Portland, but we have our moments--one of which starts next weekend:

Sacramento Beer Week. Home of the Sacramento Brewers Showcase, and The Capital Beerfest at Cal Expo

You can read about a bit of each in this local paper:

Midtown Monthly

A friend who is a food critic recently unloaded on a New York food reviewer's article about banh mi--they apparently very much shorted California's role in Vietnamese food culture. We don't have quite the level of San Jose, but there is a significant Vietnamese presence here, and a "Little Saigon" neighborhood, and some darn fine banh mi. You can read her blog here:

heckasac

As to the color of people's necks...let me repeat that "Sacramento" and "the Sacramento area" are two different places politically and culturally. The city of Sacramento is a comparatively liberal place--the mayoral candidates of the past 20 years tend to be a very liberal Democrat vs. a slightly less liberal Democrat. Outside Sacramento, things get very conservative, especially going eastward into Placer and El Dorado County. Truck tires get bigger too. Sacramento is very, very ethnically diverse--the suburbs, foothills and mountains to the east, far less so. The other exception is the college town of Davis, about 10 miles east--in part due to the fact that it is a college town, in part because some of the faculty and student body hail from the Bay Area and tend to act as though Davis is a far outpost of the Bay Area rather than part of the Sacramento metropolitan area.

Last edited by wburg; 02-14-2011 at 01:32 PM..

Old 08-08-2011, 06:58 PM

Ok, months later I am replying to this thread again.. I been in Sacramento over a week now or a week exactly.

I am in East Sacramento. Walking distance to a good deal, although it takes longer to walk more into the city downtown. It has a Leave it to Beaver feel to it. It reminds me of many areas near Boston actually. I didn't get to check out a lot of the night scene yet, but I did check out a coffee shop or 2 not naming any of the chains. I currently don't have my car here yet and I am just waiting for it so I can go even more places and apply to even more jobs. I walk it pretty much from 48th street area to Folsom or even toward Alhambra at times.

Pros.. safe.. little crime and appears like an area where very few robberies go on of any kind. Kid friendly, family friendly. Cute restaurants and shops depending on where you go. Nicely laid out city on the whole.

Very cool in morning and night.

Cons.. Interracial relationships at the maximum.. Much more than anywhere I've ever lived. I even explored this mentally at a time, but realized it was just flat out.. ugh and whenever I see it, I always ask what possesses these people.

Lack of distinctive neighborhoods (ie seperate cultures/segregation). This brings out more diversity whether you know it or not. It takes away diversity when more people racially mix.

Its still too hot in the daytime

All the cons pretty much have to do with the mixed culture here or at least by my eyes and some of these people who tend to have multicultural friends seem to be douches that I want nothing to do with at the same time, so all the more reason not to like them.

Overall outside this factor, I like what I see, but Portland is where I truly want to live STILL. I planned it for awhile, Sacramento I feel is more a stop along the way.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:40 PM

8,375 posts, read 15,215,320 times
Idaho sounds like it might be more appealing to you.

Aryan Nations -- Extremism in America

Old 08-08-2011, 07:57 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,567,534 times
Dude just leave the forums no one wants to hear your **** about interracial relationships anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or