Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 12:59 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,236,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityx View Post

Sacramento - Hot, sunny, arid and very smoggy, horrendous drivers, crumbling infrastructure, urban sprawl run amok, questionable safety, rude and trashy people, politically backwards and socially conservative (especially in the suburbs).
I don't know about everything else, but the hot and sunny applies to 3 maybe 4 months. You make it sound like the Mojave Desert.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:29 AM

151 posts, read 397,413 times
This past year I would have applied it from May to November.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:14 PM

771 posts, read 1,581,268 times
But we are really only 'unbearably' hot 3 weeks or so during the summer when the Delta Breeze isn't blowing. Most of the days during the Spring and Summer its blowing my mid-afternoon and mid 90s doesn't feel that bad, and you can open the windows for sleeping at night.

Both Portland and Sacramento have their pluses and minuses.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:14 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
Like so many other things, "unbearably hot" is a matter of degree and personal opinion. Some folks used to cool Bay Area climates, or, say, Portland, seem to consider anything higher than 80 degrees to be an inferno. Personally I'd take a 100 degree Sacramento day over a humid Midwestern summer at 85 degrees, especially in the older neighborhoods where the trees provide shade (and actually cool the air around them by absorbing light) and the river cools things off in the evenings.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:03 AM

771 posts, read 1,581,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Like so many other things, "unbearably hot" is a matter of degree and personal opinion. Some folks used to cool Bay Area climates, or, say, Portland, seem to consider anything higher than 80 degrees to be an inferno. Personally I'd take a 100 degree Sacramento day over a humid Midwestern summer at 85 degrees, especially in the older neighborhoods where the trees provide shade (and actually cool the air around them by absorbing light) and the river cools things off in the evenings.
I've gone home to Des Moines in the summer and ran 3 miles 9-10 am and I'm dripping sweat from the humidity within a half mile. Its miserable to run in. Here, its still relatively cool most days that hour of the morning in summer.

Old 12-22-2009, 03:44 PM

151 posts, read 397,413 times
I totally concede that on this point, I'm probably off the norm. I've got friends out here that just love to soak up the summer sun, and when it dips down to 40 they come in with their teeth chattering. Growing up in the mountain west, I can't stand it when it's up over 90 so much in a row, and the cool season just isn't long enough.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:16 PM

18 posts, read 53,284 times
I would choose Sacramento!
theres a actually summer
unlike Portland
9 months of consist rain and drizzle
then 3 months of Sun

Old 01-09-2010, 10:20 PM

Okay Cityx
Portland is doesnt have any seasons
possibly the two main seasons are 9 months of consist rain and drizzle then 3 months of Sun
while Sacramento has a actually Summer and it Not Arid
I dont why everyone thinks Sacramento is Arid
I know it gets down right hot in Summer but it actually rains quite a bit in winter and more of a Mediterrean Climate
and Sacramento Is Green and Lushes well only during the wet season

Old 01-09-2010, 10:24 PM

Sacramento!!!!!
Winter-Rainy, Foggy, Cool
Spring-Sunny and Warm. Windy at times. Some Rain is possible but not as much as winter
Summer-Hot, Dry, Sunny. Pleasent Nights. Rain is rare thought you may get a sprinkle in August from Monsoon Clouds
Autumn-Sunny and Warm early then Cool and Rainy. Windy at times. Not As Rainy as Winter

Old 01-12-2010, 02:11 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
I agree. I left Sacto for Kansas, then back to Sacto, then to Minneapolis. Let me tell you-the humidity in the Midwest is absolutely insane. It causes extremely cool summer thunderstorms (although the typical Californian would probably cower under the bed with the thought of the Apocalypse going down ) and it rains at a minimum of once a week during the summer. Let me rephrase that; it absolutely downpours. But the humidity is unbearable. For those of you unfamiliar, imagine being in a sauna for days on end. Being indoors, in the shade, nothing works. You cannot get away from it. The only way to escape is to be in air conditioning.

The humidity builds and builds and builds until the air becomes so saturated with moisture that it causes a thunderstorm. Cool relief. Then you have a few days of nice weather until the humidity builds back up and repeat.

Funny thing is that if it was not for the humidity, Minneapolis would have perfect summer temps. The actual air temp. only goes above 90˚ F on average of three days a year.

Take a shower or go swimming, dry your self off and two seconds later you are wet again with sweat. I kid you not. Sweating b*lls when it is only in the 70s and you are not being active is not a pleasant feeling. Especially when you are trying to sleep. There were many summer nights when I could not get to sleep it was so humid and uncomfortable.

I'll take Sacto's 100+ degree F summer days anytime over one more of these humid Midwest summers! Besides, it might be 100+ during the day, but it cools off considerably at night. I remember many times wearing shorts and a t-shirt during the day and then donning a hoodie at night. Going from 105˚ F to 70˚ F in a few hours is a considerably noticeable difference.

By the way, this thread is two years old.

Last edited by K-Luv; 01-12-2010 at 02:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento