U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2014, 11:38 PM

306 posts, read 662,302 times

Advertisements

From what I can tell, south Natomas is supposedly south of the I-80 and the "bad" part of Natomas is south of I-80 and east of I-5. I have been considering living right outside of downtown Sac in Natomas. So, that'd be west of I-5 and south of I-80.

Specifically, I've been thinking of the area off Garden Hwy -- I'd be just two exits from downtown and there are a ton of gated communities that are only a few years old and have very nice amenities for affordable prices, especially compared to living in midtown or downtown. It looks pretty nice. I've gone around and looked at places and ran to a couple stores and saw some sort of unsavory people, I guess -- from homeless people to people who just seem to be hoodlums/thugs -- but I am seeing a mix of kinds of people everywhere I go. It seems any areas that is strictly only upper class is probably way too far from downtown Sacramento for my commute. The short commute downtown is a selling point of Natomas. Things do seem to turn quickly by the next exit (Richards Blvd) but I thought Garden Hwy seems basically fine.

Is it really that bad if I choose a gated community in southwest Natomas and keep my wits about me? Or should I really add a few extra minutes to my commute and go further north. I am a young single female.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 01:58 AM

2,965 posts, read 5,932,165 times
I like south natomas better than north natomas

Old 01-12-2014, 02:39 PM

5,136 posts, read 9,192,102 times
west of I-5 and south of I-80 would be better than the area btwn 5 & Capitol 80. Did you check the crime stats?

Old 01-12-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
west of I-5 and south of I-80 would be better than the area btwn 5 & Capitol 80. Did you check the crime stats?
I glanced, but then I checked other areas and it frankly just seems like the Sacramento has a lot of crime everywhere compared to other places I've lived. It kind of feels like I can't get away from crime, but looking for some thoughts from locals who know the areas.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:03 PM

2,199 posts, read 3,960,205 times
I moved to that area in the late 80's when everything was brand new for the same reason. The commute was wonderful and it was so much nicer than midtown where I'd been living.

In the few years I lived there, my apartment was broken into numerous times, and my little pickup was literally being parted out during the night--stereo, tailgate, side mirrors.

But the commute was nice.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:14 AM

Here's the thing, when I look at crime maps, midtown and downtown are way worse than Natomas. I was going to live in midtown until I was unsatisfied with the housing offered within the timeframe I need it. Natomas definitely isn't worse. I've asked on other websites and people seem to think the area I'm looking at is fine.

Consulting crime maps, there is crime nearly everywhere in Sacramento. Safest area seems like "The Pocket" in southwestern Sac, west of I-5 where the river creates a little bubble. The area between I-5 and The 99 looks awful. Downtown and midtown look awful too. Maybe I'll go to Natomas short-term before I can find a spot in The Pocket. This thread wasn't very helpful, but thanks anyway.

For the record, I've never worried too much about safety in any of the cities I've lived in, but Sacramento has a lot of homeless people and mentally disturbed people walking around everywhere I go. Never seen anything like it. Even in DC, NYC and Chicago. This city desperately needs some help.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:57 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,487,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffincake View Post
Here's the thing, when I look at crime maps, midtown and downtown are way worse than Natomas. I was going to live in midtown until I was unsatisfied with the housing offered within the timeframe I need it. Natomas definitely isn't worse. I've asked on other websites and people seem to think the area I'm looking at is fine.

Consulting crime maps, there is crime nearly everywhere in Sacramento. Safest area seems like "The Pocket" in southwestern Sac, west of I-5 where the river creates a little bubble. The area between I-5 and The 99 looks awful. Downtown and midtown look awful too. Maybe I'll go to Natomas short-term before I can find a spot in The Pocket. This thread wasn't very helpful, but thanks anyway.

For the record, I've never worried too much about safety in any of the cities I've lived in, but Sacramento has a lot of homeless people and mentally disturbed people walking around everywhere I go. Never seen anything like it. Even in DC, NYC and Chicago. This city desperately needs some help.
But homeless people don't actually commit that much serious crime. They tend to create some of their own problems, but gang wars aren't generally one of them. If it was, that area off Richards would make Aleppo, Syria look like Anaheim.

Keep in mind that the crime you're probably looking at in those crime maps is mostly petty stuff. It sucks and all, but at least getting your car broken into isn't life-threatening. NYC is an incredibly safe big city by US standards, but Chicago has a murder rate 2.5 times that of Sacramento. United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In any case, perception is important, and you want to be able to feel safe wherever you go. That section of Natomas should be fine.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:00 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,487,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffincake View Post
This thread wasn't very helpful, but thanks anyway.
This city desperately needs some help.
You got a funny way of expressing gratitude.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:32 PM

660 posts, read 1,013,110 times
The big difference between crime in South Sacramento/North Sacramento and crime in Downtown/Midtown is that the majority of the crime that goes on on the grid is property crime. Everything from petty vandalism to auto theft and whatever. There is certainly SOME violent crime in Downtown/Midtown but the majority of it is centered around nightife. People from all over the region come down to drink on weekends and holidays, so as a result you have bar fights. Occasionally these bar fights do turn violent, but given the amount of people down there it is relatively rare. Downtown/Midtown is not a gang neighborhood by any means, but it is the center of a large city so you should always keep that in mind especially at night.

However, North Sac and South Sac have real, serious gang problems. Homicides have gone down pretty significantly over the last 5 years (according to a recent article in The Bee there were only 34 homicides in Sacramento and 77 total in Sacramento County last year, both of which are low given our history), but the majority of them occur in South Sac or North Sac. Downtown has a handful every year, which is unfortunate, but that is to be expected in a central location in a city of half a million people.

Basically, crime maps don't always paint a clear picture. Just because there's a lot of activity on the Grid doesn't mean it is particularly dangerous or violent. Also, you're never more than a couple of miles away from a really bad neighborhood in Sacramento: The Pocket is right across the freeway from Meadowview, which is one of the most violent neighborhoods in the city, the Fab 40s are only a mile or 2 away from Oak Park, North Natomas is near South Natomas and Del Paso Heights; that's just the way it is here. It doesn't mean you're constantly in danger, it's part of living in a big city.

The neighborhood you're looking at is no different. On it's own, it's a decent neighborhood for the most part, but there's still crime. There is still property crime and violent crime will spill over there at some point. You're close to some relatively violent areas over there, but that doesn't mean it's going to look like a scene from Training Day.

Lastly, comparing Sacramento's crime/violence/crazy people to places like NYC/DC/Chicago is hilarious and makes me question if you have actually been to these places. Yes, crime in NYC is down significantly, but there are still large sections of NYC that make the worst parts of Sacramento look like Disneyland. Chicago was one of the most violent large cities IN THE WORLD these last few years, and for a long time DC was the undisputed Murder Capitol of the United States. All of these cities typically average as many murders in a month or 2 as Sacramento does all year.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:50 PM

I typed a whole long response and lost it. In short, yes I have lived in NYC, DC and Chicago and while they have bad areas, there are good areas where you could feel very safe as well. Sac doesn't follow the patterns I have observed in other places for two reasons. 1) The downtown city center isn't very busy. I found myself walking around as the only person on a block often in Sac. That never happened in those other cities I mentioned. Downtown and midtown Sac are just really quiet and almost desolate at times. If there's other people around, in downtown there's a high chance it's homeless people or some sort of unsavory character. Midtown is just more on the empty side than the side of having transients. 2) In other cities, especially smaller cities, it was a safe bet that a suburb that looked nice attracted certain types of people and felt/looked very safe. In Sac, no matter how nice the houses are, you see plenty of rough types and I have people telling me of car thefts and apartment break-ins in very nice, high-end-looking apartments in gated communities. I saw a homeless guy wheeling a cart filled with all his stuff down a road that was a business park and nice apartments. It was rather jarring. Usually I could just spot the safe areas to live that were filled with families and professionals, but it's not so easy in Sac. I think people who have only lived in Sacramento and have never lived in places like NYC, Chicago or DC don't really understand the comparison, quite frankly. FWIW, I was looking specifically at the Sac PD's "serious crime" map on their website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento