Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 10:01 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times

Advertisements

I'm a native of Northern California but my husband and I have lived in Reno for the past 14 years. We want to move to the Sac area this year to be closer to family and not have to shovel snow =/. We are in our late 60's, and actually welcome neighborhood diversity and prefer it over cookie cutter subdivisions. We have two dogs and want a yard large enough for them to romp in. We enjoy being able to walk to restaurants, shopping etc. and since we don't want to move again we are trying to be realistic in thinking that as we get older, we may need to rely on public transportation. I don't expect to find a "crime free" area, I just don't want to have to dodge bullets when I walk my dogs. (I spent most of my life in Richmond, CA - so I know about crime and gangs). And we are trying to avoid mandatory flood insurance and mello roos.

We love Tahoe Park but it looks like it would be tough to stay within our budget there, we don't want to carry a mortgage over 100K, so we are trying to find something for around 200K or under. Any suggestions on decent areas that might be cheaper than Tahoe Park? I found a cute house in East Del Paso Heights, but just the name "Del Paso" makes me want to run away from that one as fast as I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 02:14 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,651,150 times
Heh, feel you on "Del Paso". I also like Tahoe Park, and you can always continue your search in that area. How big are you looking for? You might find something in that budget in Tahoe Park and UC Davis Med Center/North Oak Park area if you're open to the 2/1 or 3/1 places common in that area. We're two (albeit younger) folks in a 3/1 and it's plenty of room, though it gets tight with more than a couple overnight guests. You might also search around Hollywood Park/City Farms (basically anything west of 99, in between Sutterville and Fruitridge). There's also Pocket (likely to be pricier and add flood insurance) and other small areas south of Fruitridge that might be okay, like Reichmuth Park and maybe Mangan Park. These areas keep you fairly close to light rail, decent bus access, but not incredibly walkable.

Others areas slightly further afield to consider are Carmichael, Fair Oaks, and maybe some spots in Rancho Cordova. I don't know enough to be specific about those though.

Just to throw out another option, you might keep an eye on West Sac. It's pretty spotty, but your money goes a bit further, and it's very likely the city will continue to improve in the coming years, with further infill and possibly streetcar. You might check out the "state streets" (bound generally by business 80, the shipping channel, Park and Jefferson). There suburbs south of the shipping channel are also pretty affordable, but very cookie cuttery.

Good luck on the search, and let us know how it goes. I think that if/when we ever decide to have kids, my mom will decide to move up here and will probably have similar considerations as you do, so I'm curious where you end up.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:54 PM

Thanks for the response, I will check the areas you mentioned, I hadn't looked at some of them at all. I know we can do nicely in something with 1,000 sq ft, 3 bedrooms if possible, but two might work. Having a fairly large lot is important to us because we spend a lot of time playing with our dogs & I need room for a vegetable garden. And while we would prefer a garage, we could live without one if we had a storage shed. I will check the areas you mentioned, I hadn't looked at some of them at all. =)

Old 07-15-2014, 10:04 PM

I'm back..we are about 2 weeks away from listing our house and still haven't decided where to move. The RE market is pretty fast right now in Reno so we might well be moving before the end of the summer. Fortunately the equity in our house has increased to the point where we can consider houses for around 300k. We still like Tahoe Park, but now we are considering Fair Oaks. Here are my questions. On Redfin, Tahoe Park is divided into 3 sections: Tahoe Park, Tahoe Park East & Tahoe Park South, is there a significant difference between them? And, within our price range, is that enough to find a decent house in Fair Oaks, or should we just look elsewhere? And, my last question is how would Arden-Arcade compare to the two areas I mentioned? Would it be wise to look around there?
Thanks in advance!

Old 07-15-2014, 10:20 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
I don't know the home prices but I thought old Roseville was nice. It's definitely a mini-version of the East Sac/McKinley Park- type of neighborhood. Really cute & unique houses near Royer Park. Looks like they are doing a lot work in the old downtown Roseville strip.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:32 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,260,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
so we are trying to find something for around 200K or under
you already missed that boat. Houses in the ghetto are selling for near 200k now.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
you already missed that boat. Houses in the ghetto are selling for near 200k now.
In my latest response I indicated that we will be looking for something for around 300k

Old 07-15-2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
I don't know the home prices but I thought old Roseville was nice. It's definitely a mini-version of the East Sac/McKinley Park- type of neighborhood. Really cute & unique houses near Royer Park. Looks like they are doing a lot work in the old downtown Roseville strip.
thanks, I will take a look in that area

Old 07-15-2014, 10:47 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
Quote:
Fortunately the equity in our house has increased to the point where we can consider houses for around 300k.
Very good news as that is pretty much the minimal you have to spend to get a decent house in a decent neighborhood now.

Quote:
We still like Tahoe Park, but now we are considering Fair Oaks. Here are my questions. On Redfin, Tahoe Park is divided into 3 sections: Tahoe Park, Tahoe Park East & Tahoe Park South, is there a significant difference between them?
IDK, Hopefully someone who actually lives in Tahoe Park will respond.

Quote:
And, within our price range, is that enough to find a decent house in Fair Oaks, or should we just look elsewhere?
What is your definition of decent? From your OP, you specified the following:
neighborhood diversity and prefer it over cookie cutter subdivisions- FO meets
a yard for 2 dogs - FO meets, this is an older neighborhood w/bigger yards, some neighborhoods are more rural
able to walk to restaurants, shopping etc - probably not going to find this in FO unless you are close to old FO, or close to Fair Oaks Blvd (east of Sunrise). Not sure if you will meet your budget here.
avoid mandatory flood insurance and mello roos - see SAFCA :: Sacramento Regional Flood Control Agency
1,000 sq ft, 2- 3 bedrooms - probably can find this, although house in FO tend to be bigger.

You might want to take a look at Orangevale. It's more rural. And I believe prices are more inline with your budget.

Quote:
And, my last question is how would Arden-Arcade compare to the two areas I mentioned? Would it be wise to look around there?
Thanks in advance!
You should definitely look there, as we don't know your tastes. It is probably more affordable than FO, but at a price. It's more run down. There are nice areas, like near Whole Foods.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:09 PM

Thanks, I will check out Orangevale. I know it's tough for anyone to speculate about what we would be interested in, but we can't make it down very often to house hunt because of my husband's job (he's on call quite often) so we try to narrow down the places that we think we would be interested in before we drive down. Just to give you some idea of what we both like, if our house was sold we would be driving down to look at this one & make an offer on it if the area is ok 5331 San Francisco Boulevard, Sacramento CA For Sale - Trulia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento