Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2014, 10:17 AM

2 posts, read 1,873 times

Advertisements

I sold a car almost 2 years ago to a co-worker who buys cars and flips them. so last week I went to a lender for a home and to my suprise I had 2 parking tickets on there. I called the next day and they said the tickets were for no tags 6 times and one for not stopping at a 4 way stop. went to dmv to try and fix it. they said that car was not registered to me. but when I told them the license plate number they found the vehicle info and it was destroyed in October. the parking ticket place said im responsible for them and I have to pay $900. ever since I sold it never received renewal notice for it, never recieved letters of getting tickets so i had no knowledge of them and I thought this car was history . I mailed the bill of sale to Sacramento but dmv says they have no record of it. only info I have is person I sold it too. is there anything I can do to prove I sold it without a copy of bill of sale?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 02:11 PM

688 posts, read 1,101,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan4life View Post
I sold a car almost 2 years ago to a co-worker who buys cars and flips them. so last week I went to a lender for a home and to my suprise I had 2 parking tickets on there. I called the next day and they said the tickets were for no tags 6 times and one for not stopping at a 4 way stop. went to dmv to try and fix it. they said that car was not registered to me. but when I told them the license plate number they found the vehicle info and it was destroyed in October. the parking ticket place said im responsible for them and I have to pay $900. ever since I sold it never received renewal notice for it, never recieved letters of getting tickets so i had no knowledge of them and I thought this car was history . I mailed the bill of sale to Sacramento but dmv says they have no record of it. only info I have is person I sold it too. is there anything I can do to prove I sold it without a copy of bill of sale?
If you run a carfax on the car, would it show the sale? Or are you suggesting that your co-worker and whoever he flipped it to never registered the vehicle, leaving you holding the bag?

What were the dates of the tickets? Was it for sure after you sold the car?

Not an answer to your question, but I have always removed the plates when I sold the car to an individual, and I immediately notified the DMV, car insurer, and local property tax authorities of the sale.

I am curious: how could you have received a ticket for failure to stop if you weren't the driver? - the driver is ticketed, not the car, right? Or was this a photo red deal? If so, how did they track it to you if there were no plates on the car?

Old 02-09-2014, 02:45 PM

2 posts, read 1,873 times
im almost positive he never registered it. I was wondering the same thing on the 4 way stop ticket. I been reading blogs and that is where I messed up by not taking the plates. according to the guy who I spoke to about the tickets said they were issued in august 2013, vehicle was out of my possession since late 2012. when I sold vehicle I signed it over to him took bill of sale, sent it through mail to dmv and I thought I was done with it. is there anything I can do about this. or did I screw up.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:54 PM

688 posts, read 1,101,574 times
Without a copy of the bill of sale, I am not sure. Since the car was not re-registered, as far as the DMV knows, you still owned it at that time.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:56 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,455,557 times
Notice of Release of Liability.

Did you do one? If not, do one now, completely filled out, and make copies of it before you turn it in. Or do it online and print it out before you transmit it.

Then respond to whoever issued the tickets with a copy of the release and a statement that you did not own the car at the time it was ticketed.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:21 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Who signed the ticket? Why call the court that issued the ticket and get a copy of it? If you didn't sign it, but the person who was driving did- then I would assume that is who would be responsible. Parking tickets do create a lien on the vehicle, but moving violations go to the driver, the don't attach to the vehicle. I am not sure what DMV meant when they said that you don't own the vehicle..who owns it then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
View detailed profiles of: