Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2014, 06:13 PM

2 posts, read 2,150 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I am new here! I will have a 3rd grader and preschooler starting 2014-15. I want to do home study through a charter school to try it out, and if our first year goes well then possibly file as a private school and homeschool exclusively on my own. I have been looking at Visions in Education, South Sutter, and Horizons. If you have used any of these schools what are your thoughts, opinions, and advice. They all look great but I don't know which one to go with! I heard South Sutter was more flexible with curriculum but online have only read negative reviews. I have a friend who loves SS but I can't seem to decide between the three. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 08:18 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,999,504 times
Rescue Union has an on-line learning program where the parents/students have access to curriculum and other resources as well as weekly teacher support for parents that prefer to home school. Not sure if it's the right location for you, but perhaps other closer schools have the same time of program for you to check into.

https://rusd-ca.schoolloop.com/cool

The COOL School, which stands for Collaborative Opportunities for Online Learning, is a public, tuition-free independent study program offered through the Rescue Union School District. The certificated teachers for the program are employed by the Rescue Union School District and are highly-qualified as defined by the No Child Left Behind Act.

The Rescue COOL School is an online, full-time independent study option for students in grades 3-8. This independent study program, offered through the Rescue Union School District, provides alternative learning options for students in El Dorado, Sacramento, Placer, Amador and Alpine counties. Learn more about the program options here ...

Enrolled students experience innovative, relevant and personalized learning plans that will prepare them for the digital world of the 21st century and beyond.

Odysseyware, a standards based learning management system (LMS), guides students through the California standards-based online coursework, assesses students and redirects instruction allowing for re-teaching and acceleration. The LMS allows instructors to manage distribution of materials, customize and create content, and administer communications with the student and the parent. Learn more about our curriculum and LMS here ...

Old 02-20-2014, 02:22 PM

6 posts, read 8,351 times
consider SS first. If you attend SS you must be in a county that borders the county of Sutter. Visions would be a possibility as well-they have a good website and lots of opportunities for enrichment. Horizon has a more time consuming process for documentation and their website is much less user friendly than that of Visions in education but is not to be avoided per se.

avoid the programs offered through the individual school districts and county other than the three charter schools you mentioned this due to the fact that you will have little flexibility it seems of no benefit to educate at home in this fashion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento