U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2014, 12:41 AM

5 posts, read 19,548 times

Advertisements

I feel I have to post a message about mosquitos in the Sacramento, CA area because I used this website for years to research moving to Sacramento, CA from the East Coast Mid-Atlantic States. I even researched the mosquitos; I think the thread I used talking about mosquitos may have been deleted because I couldn't find it.
We came here from Maryland; a typical Mid-Atlantic State.
Mosquitos are pretty bad in SO many States! All you need is human disturbed land with an unbalanced ecosystem and a sprinkle of rain and these bugs thrive! I was surprised reading posts about how bad they were in the Sacramento, CA Area.
People whining about mosquitos in that old thread must have had little experience being in any of the following States during June, July, August, September: all the States on the East Coast South of New York AND all the States on the Gulf. Or maybe they went to a place like Disneyland who pays big bucks for their customers to have the benefit of a constant mosquito control system. I just don't think the mosquitos here are that bad in comparison. Feel free to respond!

There ARE mosquitos here during the rainy season. Right now we are in a drought year, so we only had them in February. They are more if there is more rain or if you live right next to a little body or stream of fresh water or if you have a big area that is wet and doesn't drain after the rain.
The mosquitos here look big and different compared to all the other ones I've met but they are slow, easy to kill, and their bites don't hurt as much. They do not swarm or attack like they do in most of the states I mentioned above who have bay or ocean coasts. There is just naturally less of them here, and they are way less aggressive!! If you are allergic to the bites, sorry, you will still be annoyed here but bug spray without DEET actually seems to work here, so you might be happier here.

Background: I finally just moved to Roseville/Rocklin CA and I work in Sacramento. I have a young son , and I wanted to research EVERYTHING before I moved the family; even the mosquitos! I love this website, it helped so much! In Maryland we had 4 seasons with all kinds of crazy weather and at least 3 months of relentless mosquitos ( we are nature-loving people , we didn't live in a neighborhood where they organized and sprayed like crazy killing every amphibian known to live there). We also couldn't afford the $500 propane mosquito magnet unit and the monthly costs it takes to run the thing. We tried everything else and the $250 one but it didn't work. I used to clip the OFF fan to my kid when he played outside in his sandbox instead of spraying him with products and that helped him play outside during the 4 months of mosquitos. My 6 year old son freaked out when he saw they were also here until he was able to kill a couple and then he felt less threatened by them.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 08:19 AM

1,917 posts, read 2,204,391 times
You are correct. While they do abound in the Delta swamps, California as a whole is remarkably bug-free compared to the Midwest, East Coast or South.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:18 PM

3,724 posts, read 8,840,722 times
The bad news is that if there is even 1 mosquito in a 5 mile radius, it will find me.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:22 PM

5,101 posts, read 8,338,187 times
funny you should mention this, last Sunday I went for a walk in Folsom. It was beautiful out. The next day, I started itching. I had bites all over my legs. I was dinner!! Guess it's time to pull out the insect repellent if I want to walk outside.

Quote a few neighborhoods in the Sacto/Placer region are sprayed annually as there have been many cases of West Nile. You can follow the mosquito activity on www.fightthebite.net

Old 03-04-2014, 09:44 AM

529 posts, read 725,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
The bad news is that if there is even 1 mosquito in a 5 mile radius, it will find me.
Same. They seem to love me. When I lived in higher mosquito zones, I was bitten left and right.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:58 AM

3,367 posts, read 5,193,067 times
Hmm... I lived in a rice growing county and I can count on one hand the bites I get each year. Maybe I don't taste good.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:11 AM

5 posts, read 19,548 times
I created this thread on mosquitos because I used city-data so much to research a move across the country. My husband and I lived in Maryland (DC Metro area) for 13 years. We had our son in Annapolis, MD- he is 6 years old now. Over the 5 years I lived there with a young kid, I became very frustrated with the lack of ability to have my kid outside in the DC Metro Area unless we went to a City park. In the city parks on the East Coast, there was less mosquitos and usually another kid or two. In the suburbs, the parks were often loaded with mosquitos and NO KIDS. The constant flux in weather (during the months when you could take a little kid to the park) made it so hard to arrange playdates in the suburbs due to always needing a back-up-plan due to a possible sudden weather change.
We lived in a tiny townhouse and we needed to get out for a little bit everyday!
It wasn't just mosquitos that made me move, but it played a role.
Moving across the country to a better weather area (Sacramento, California) was rough; we had to leave a lot behind. Also, it costs a decent amount of money to get yourselves and your stuff across country.
But, for us it was worth it, California is an outdoor-state. Most days of the year have a time of the day when you can easily go outside to play. We still have "seasons" in the Sacramento area and rain or extreme heat does happen occasionally. But, we can always find other kids in the parks and there is always something to do to burn extra energy (even indoors!).
The non-fast food restaurants with outdoor play areas or the fast-food restaurants with super huge indoor play areas was a bonus we discovered out in California!
I've heard other states like Ohio and Indiana have large indoor play areas that don't cost a fortune to visit year-round with your kids. The Mid-Atlantic States need to find ways to create more active spaces (outdoor or indoor) where kids can play together and burn extra energy (ideally, these place spaces would be without a ton of mosquitos and not require you spend $7 or more per kid!)!! If you can afford a large house with a rec room for kids to be active in, then you should consider yourself lucky, but consider the rest of us when your town wants to build a subsidized safe-play area for kids that you might not understand the need for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento