Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2007, 10:36 AM

2 posts, read 4,505 times

Advertisements

I lease an older home in Sacramento. My lease states that the landlord is responsible for maintenance and repairs and includes a provision for a washer and dryer to be included in the lease (which they were). I have had ongoing problems with water pressure throughout the house; and the dryer has been going on the blink. 3 weeks ago the dryer stopped working and the water pressure was so bad that we could not use the 2nd floor bath or flush the toilet. We have continuiously notified our landlord...he had previously been receptive to our calls...but he has never corrected the problems! Now he has resulted to hanging up on us! When we call now we leave messages and he never calls us back. He did request a plumber to come out. The plumber has set appointments, but has flaked on us 7 times....! Now when we call the plumber he refuses to come out unless the landlord requests him to come out and agrees to pay for the repairs....?

Should I have the repairs done...deduct from rent? What should I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 12:19 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
It certainly is an option, but I wouldn't do it unless you notify the owner in writing by certified mail of your intentions.

The problem is... that you are in effect making the problem yours by telling the owner you will "Repair and Deduct"

Be aware that you might have to explain your actions in court if the owner disagrees with the amount deducted and starts an unlawful detainer action against you for non-payment of rent.

My advice is to document everything fully for your own protection and use only licensed contractors.

The last thing you want is for the owner to go after you if your repair person causes damage. Note: On large repairs that are not emergency in nature, the court likes to see 3 estimates and usually will go with the low one.

Could it be a maintenance issue? It's not uncommon for sediment to clog the fine mesh screens or valve ports in older homes or when the water company is working on the supply pipes under the street. Usually, it is only necessary to clean the screen and reassemble. If it isn't working at all, I would check for a tripped circuit breaker or blown fuse

Clothes Dryers usually work or they don't. If electric, it is probably the heating element and if it is gas it is probably the flame ignitor. Both are not expensive.

If the Dryer still heats, but not as well, the first thing to check is the exhaust vent for a kink or blockage. Several times I've found a blocked lint screen or no lint screen that allowed lint to block the bent... again a maintenance issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento