Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 10:20 AM

154 posts, read 691,586 times

Advertisements

That's rich coming from someone in Davis; since Davis WAS the 'aggie' UC school. It still has the highly regarded Vet school, etc. In fact, I believe (if I remember correctly) that is WHY UC-Davis even exists-b/c of its proximity to agriculture and SAC.

UC Davis was originally the "university farm" for UC Berkeley. For some reason while I was there in the 80s and 90s, they were mildly embarrassed by this and tried very hard to shed the Aggie image. There was even an administrative attempt at one point to do away with the Aggie Mustang mascot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 05:15 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,651,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrubin View Post
That's rich coming from someone in Davis; since Davis WAS the 'aggie' UC school. It still has the highly regarded Vet school, etc. In fact, I believe (if I remember correctly) that is WHY UC-Davis even exists-b/c of its proximity to agriculture and SAC.

UC Davis was originally the "university farm" for UC Berkeley. For some reason while I was there in the 80s and 90s, they were mildly embarrassed by this and tried very hard to shed the Aggie image. There was even an administrative attempt at one point to do away with the Aggie Mustang mascot.
Yeah, I'd wager UC Davis's biggest impact is in agricultural technology (the first EVER genetically engineered food was from a Davis company), brewing and viticultural, and veterinary medicine. All of which are ag and cow related. Their med school, probably their largest department outside of the ones mentioned, isn't even located in Davis, but is in the "cow town" of Sac.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:18 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,651,790 times
Not sure if the OP is still paying attention, but in terms dating pool for gay couples, Sac apparently has the fourth- or fifth-highest gay population per capita at around 9%.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:24 PM

51 posts, read 76,868 times
Default CA native

Raised in So Calif and lived in the North Sacramento area. Sacramento might be cheaper than LA or SF, but there is a reason. High crime areas and hard to determine where those are without being there. Lot's to do as in ANY big city and a Liberal would find most any place in CA comfortable. NO seasons in hardly any places in CA, not like you are used to and Sac is VERY hot in the summer. Easy drive to Lake Tahoe or any place in Gold Country. I would move back to the northern area if we could afford it, but then CA is "home" to us.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:08 PM

6,892 posts, read 8,265,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Actually, those boomers did embrace a walkable urban core--the population of the central city went up 10% from 1970-1990 and that's when "Lavender Heights" first emerged. The first infill was built during that era--including the first mid-rise condo housing. It was mostly the pre-Boomer generation who was dead set on finishing the job of demolishing downtown, the Boomers were the first ones to start reversal of the trend. But downtown developers got too greedy in the 1990s and choked off a wave of residential development to build the rebranded Downtown Plaza and Sutter Galleria, and the GenX generation was too small to keep the trend going.
I think you are giving the Boomers to much credit regarding living in denser living environments and returning to the core of cities, especially in the west. The boomers were mostly hypocritical when it came to development. Once they bought their brand new 3,000 sq foot home, depended on freeways to get around; they were the first to cry fowl when the next development or roadway was going up, and the first to deplore any type of dense urban living. Given the huge explosion of growth in the last 35 years in suburban, low-density environments where exactly did boomers build more density than less?

Exactly where in the west, did Boomers embrace urban living in dense urban cores, shy of SF. A nod to Berkeley or Venice(LA), maybe.

Last edited by Chimérique; 03-13-2014 at 07:51 PM..

Old 03-13-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbound and Down View Post
Parts of every city with a population greater than, say, 200k, are ghetto-ish.
The coastal folks will alway trash-talk Sacramento. (Not intended for mystictiger). As if the Bay doesn't have its ghettos: Richmond, SF's Tenderloin, 1/3 of Oakland, parts of east bay cities. Huge parts of LA and Orange County and Inland Empire.

Truth is, California is aging all over from suburbs to cities to freeways. This just means more opportunity for renewal, and it's happening in the central cities and will extend to the older suburban areas too.

Last edited by Chimérique; 03-13-2014 at 07:26 PM..

Old 03-13-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbound and Down View Post
If that is your definition of the "cow town thing" then I believe your fears of Sacramento are misplaced. I didn't get any "cow town" vibe, even though I had talked to a friend who lives in Davis who looked down her nose at Sacramento and used the term "cow town." I didn't see it at all...YMMV.

Mind you, I am not from there, and I don't live there (yet), but I did visit for a few days on a job interview, and I found Sacramento kind of charming; I definitely came away thinking that I could be very happy living and working there.

At some point, you have to get off the internet and actually visit places - as much valuable info as one can get from forums like this, there are real limits to those opinions, too. You are at that point right now. Go see for yourself.
Good advice. Sacramento is charming, maybe not in a knock your socks off kinda way, and it takes walking around, biking, hanging out at bars and restaurants, excepting that it's not some perfect, clean, newly built manacured suburb, nor an ultra rich cool dense large city, with fortune 500 companies, venture capitalists, and trust fund gen-Xer's pumping money into the economy(SF). Would be nice though.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Actually, those boomers did embrace a walkable urban core--the population of the central city went up 10% from 1970-1990 and that's when "Lavender Heights" first emerged. The first infill was built during that era--including the first mid-rise condo housing. It was mostly the pre-Boomer generation who was dead set on finishing the job of demolishing downtown, the Boomers were the first ones to start reversal of the trend. But downtown developers got too greedy in the 1990s and choked off a wave of residential development to build the rebranded Downtown Plaza and Sutter Galleria, and the GenX generation was too small to keep the trend going.
The Plaza was very successful for 15 years, what killed it off it is the worst recession(depression) in the last 80 years, in conjunction with a brand new mall in Roseville, and a major upsurge in internet purchasing, costco and bigbox retail. You can thank the plaza for bringing folks back to downtown that would never have thought of it before.

The population went up 10% in Lavender Heights(LH), but it went up 50% in the suburbs. It went up 10% in LH in the 70-90's because it was cheap, dirt cheap. Likely the population will surpass the 10% you seem to cherish, 2015, 2020 will be big numbers.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:07 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,279,161 times
Downtown Plaza's reboot was in 1993, America Live closed within 3 years and Roseville Galleria opened in 2000--people were already writing about how dismal Downtown Plaza was getting by the late 1990s. I don't really think it made a bit of difference in terms of people moving to the central city--what drew people (and prevented further out-migration) were the cultural institutions those Boomers and GenXers made in Midtown, from art galleries, music venues and local businesses to fixing up old houses. And we have gained 1000 new housing units since 2010, so theoretically we're probably back up to 31500-32,000 central city population again. That's great, and there's more coming--but the idea that nothing happened in the central city until the Millenials came along is just ridiculous.

The Metro Chamber, the same one sponsoring that "emerging professionals" event, have never been particularly enthusiastic about people living downtown--they were the ones trying to push even more office buildings downtown in the 1990s, with no thought at all to downtown residential. Even now, they're still pushing a "regional economy" approach, with job centers and new suburbs farther out, with the central city as a place to work and play but not to live.

And yeah, the OP probably doesn't care much about our opinions on the matter, other than to let him know that the main competitive sports in Sacramento are basketball and politics. Often they become very interrelated.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:33 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
...29 year old gay Italian male
Yes, you would. But...you might get annoyed after the 100th time you hear someone call someone else "fa***t.

Quote:
...who has lived in Connecticut my entire life.
Nope. You'll hate Sacramento unless you grew up in New Haven...and loved it.

Quote:
I have a master's degree in accounting, and specialize in corporate tax (non-client work, non-CPA).
You'd probably be better off somewhere around the Bay.

Quote:
I also have about $50K in cash, no debt, no dependents, no spouse and my lease ends in May.
Well hey, everybody loves cash.

Quote:
Some things I am looking for in a place to live:
  • relaxed pace of life, but not excessively slow Check
  • preferably four seasons In Sacto? Nope. A very slight drizzle is enough to call for serious umbrella action and most think Armageddon is coming every time it rains. Despite the cold and snow a few hours away in the Sierra's, people love to live in California because it lacks weather. Expect a very slow decline into winter and an equally as slow ascent into summer.
  • plenty of greenery Check
  • significant gay population Check
  • reasonable cost of living By Californian standards, check. By Connecticut standards, double check
  • liberal/progressive politics Check, sort of. California in general is a very strange hodgepodge of politics. Sacramento is no different.
  • I'm an atheist, so no religion in my face Check. Like New England, no one is going to ask about your spiritual preference or what church you are a member of
  • Not too sophisticated; I prefer simple, normal people Simple people, check
Would I like Sacramento based on the above?
And would it be any culture shock for a New Englander?
For the most part, yes. By the way, I left Sacto for Maine, then later Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento