Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 09:48 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,942,476 times

Advertisements

I've been to California for a visit back in 2012, but spent the entire time in SoCal. It was a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't quite want to live there, for various reasons. Anyway...I'm thinking of Sacramento maybe. On paper it sounds nearly perfect for me, but I want to hear the opinions of those who actually live there.

A little about me...29 year old gay Italian male who has lived in Connecticut my entire life. I have a master's degree in accounting, and specialize in corporate tax (non-client work, non-CPA). I also have about $50K in cash, no debt, no dependents, no spouse and my lease ends in May.

Some things I am looking for in a place to live:
  • relaxed pace of life, but not excessively slow
  • preferably four seasons
  • plenty of greenery
  • significant gay population
  • reasonable cost of living
  • liberal/progressive politics
  • I'm an atheist, so no religion in my face
  • Not too sophisticated; I prefer simple, normal people
Would I like Sacramento based on the above?
And would it be any culture shock for a New Englander?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 09:55 PM

6,892 posts, read 8,265,684 times
Sacramento sounds perfect for your criteria, but it still likely will be culture shock coming from Conn/NYC.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:02 PM

762 posts, read 2,030,415 times
Of course sac would fit that description

Old 03-12-2014, 10:06 PM

Yeah it really sounds great on paper. Only thing is that I'll miss the quaintness of New England and the extreme greenery, humidity and snow. But there's no such thing as a perfect place!

Old 03-12-2014, 10:17 PM

I'm posting this to give you an idea of the energy in Sacramento. It's a young adult (millennials) conference called The Emerge Summit.

"SACRAMENTO MILLENNIALS BUCK THE TREND"

Marcos Breton: Sacramento millennials buck the stereotype - Marcos Breton - The Sacramento Bee

In contrast to the reputation of disaffected techno-geeks who rarely look up from their handheld electronic devices, it seems millennials in Sacramento really do care about their community and being connected.

On March 21, the city will host a convention of young professionals – perhaps as many as 500 – from across the region at an event called The Emerge Summit. It will be hosted at the California Musical Theatre by a mosaic of groups, from the young professionals subset of the Sacramento Metro Chamber of Commerce, called Metro Edge, to the American Planning Association Young Planners Group and many others.

“It’s about how we keep talent in Sacramento while building a sense of community and bonds within the community,” said Emilie Cameron, chair of Metro Edge and a senior public relations manager for 3Fold Communications. Millennial professionals within Sacramento care about sustainable communities and have their own twists on traditional aspirations of youth, said Cameron, 32.

“It used to be the big house and the big yard, but now it’s connectivity,” Cameron said. “One of our issues is a thriving urban core – to work, live and play within a 5-mile radius. It’s the new American dream.” These millennials in Sacramento love local traditions, but not the stereotype of Sacramento as the place where progress is too slow.

“Our generation says lets just do it,” Cameron said. “Lets not keep talking about something until an idea dies.”

The new downtown arena is very popular with this group. It’s viewed as new chapter in a Sacramento this generation hopes to shape. They hope the Emerge Summit will be an event that sets the tone for community involvement. They hope it will inspire attendees to realize that they are part of something bigger – and to feel pride about being part of that.

They hope young minds coming together can help create economic opportunities that move Sacramento beyond being just a government town. They hope it’s the beginning of big things in a town they don’t want to leave but make better.

“That’s what’s so exciting about being in Sacramento now and being on the ground floor of defining a region,” Cameron said. “I can’t wait for it to be 20 years from now and look back (with attendees of the first Emerge Summit) and say, ‘Do you remember when?’ ”

Read more here: Marcos Breton: Sacramento millennials buck the stereotype - Marcos Breton - The Sacramento Bee

Old 03-12-2014, 10:25 PM

Nice information there....

So is Sacramento an up and coming city? Not declining?

My gay friend who lives in L.A. said that Sacramento is "ghetto and dumb." Does it have a negative perception from the rest of CA people?

I mean, it must be cheaper for a reason, right?

Old 03-12-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Yeah it really sounds great on paper. Only thing is that I'll miss the quaintness of New England and the extreme greenery, humidity and snow. But there's no such thing as a perfect place!
Your post is confusing, why would even consider Sacramento if extreme greenery, HUMIDITY AND SNOW are important to you. Sacramento certainly is the greenest large metro in California, but it's not as leafy as New England.

After living in New England you certainly won't find it humid, and you'll have to drive 1hr to get to mountains of snow, literally.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Your post is confusing, why would even consider Sacramento if extreme greenery, HUMIDITY AND SNOW are important to you. Sacramento certainly is the greenest large metro in California, but it's not as leafy as New England.

After living in New England you certainly won't find it humid, and you'll have to drive 1hr to get to mountains of snow, literally.
Well that's why I said there is no perfect place. I'd have to give up the good things I like about New England and trade them for the positive things I would like about Sac.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:38 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,930,240 times
You might like Sacramento, but also consider Eugene, Salem, Portland/Vancouver, Olympia (sacrificing snow generally on these three), Denver if you can sacrifice the green.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
You might like Sacramento, but also consider Eugene, Salem, Portland/Vancouver, Olympia (sacrificing snow generally on these three), Denver if you can sacrifice the green.
I've been to Denver and didn't like it. It was too brown and depressing and too isolated. Also, it kind of felt like a cow town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento