Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2014, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,249 times

Advertisements

Hi I am starting at Davis this fall 2014 and need some ideas on the best locations to live. I heard that downtown is a good area but it seems that apartments are going quick. Can anyone provide good places to go check out in the downtown area? I am looking for a 2x1 or 2x2 (as well as a roommate) as it seems most 1x1 are $900+. The max I could afford for 2x1 or 2x2 is $1400 but that’s pushing it. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 01:36 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
Downtown Davis or Downtown Sacramento?

Old 03-18-2014, 04:42 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,651,150 times
Most Davis students live in Davis. Lots of options for student housing, and housing around the city. Grad students tend to live a little farther from campus, but not exclusively. You can definitely live in Sac but the commute is obnoxious, particularly if you're not on a normal (by which I mean, if you have a 3 hour break in the middle of the day, it's not really practical to come home, but if you're in Davis, you can just bike home and hang out for a while if you want). If you're working or going to school in Sac though, definitely look at Sac.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:02 PM

154 posts, read 691,427 times
Have you checked the ASUCD Community Housing listings (chl.ucdavis.edu)? Davis is not so huge that the areas you live in will make a big difference. Avoid the Olive Drive area, though, and some parts of East Davis around the shopping center at E. 8th St and Pole Line Road are pretty seedy.

Your rental $$ will go farther in Woodland, but it means a 10 mile commute and being kind of out in the boondocks.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:05 PM

49 posts, read 83,175 times
You will have plenty of options that fit within your budget. I highly recommend you live in Davis. It's much nicer than the surrounding areas. Despite what the poster above mentioned I don't think there are any parts of Davis I would consider seedy. Less desirable perhaps, but nowhere in Davis is really seedy.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:43 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misaligned View Post
You will have plenty of options that fit within your budget. I highly recommend you live in Davis. It's much nicer than the surrounding areas. Despite what the poster above mentioned I don't think there are any parts of Davis I would consider seedy. Less desirable perhaps, but nowhere in Davis is really seedy.
Agree, unless things have dramatically changed since I lived there. You can live anywhere in Davis and easily bike to campus. Also, all the buses are run by the university, and all end up at the university - or at least they used to all be run by UCD.

The town is flat, so biking is a breeze, plus lots of bike lanes everywhere, and the town is really bike friendly, as in they're used to sharing the road.

I agree you should check out the UCD off-campus website, and Craigslist, if you didn't get any on-campus options.

Enjoy your time in Davis. It's a nice town.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:58 AM

57 posts, read 115,890 times
I would suggest contacting your program to see if there's people looking for roommates. They might be helpful in helping you find a spot with some friends.

Regarding the seedy areas mentioned above--the Olive drive area is near the railroad tracks and not really what you'd want. The 8th St./Pole line area has some apartment buildings that are a bit run down--nothing threatening, again, just probably not what you'd want.

Downtown (Davis) is nice, but way overpriced. Anything within a few blocks (or sometimes more) of the university is often ridiculously priced for the condition of the building, apartment size, etc. Just get a bike and live anywhere in town. You can live three miles out and get to campus in 15-20 minutes without much effort.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:19 PM

379 posts, read 785,438 times
I lived on Olive Dr. for a year and didn't have any problems. The worst you might encounter is hearing the trains. That said, like what others said, pretty much all of Davis is nice, and you can live anywhere. It's easy to get around via bike and transit. I'd avoid anywhere immediately by campus, particularly frat row just North of campus, as it'll be loud and dominated by undergraduates.

I like downtown a lot, it's adorable and has tons of local businesses clustered together, but it is the most expensive place to live. West Davis is quiet, has a lot of graduate students, and gives you more bang for your buck. Along with traditional apartment complexes another thing you could look into is renting a room in a house with other grad students. You can find these options on craigslist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento