Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2022, 08:24 AM

747 posts, read 442,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
So the golden age didn't happen until after you left?
Who left? I'm still here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2022, 08:41 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
Golden ages were never golden ages for everyone, they often get decided on in retrospect.

Old 09-23-2022, 10:33 AM

580 posts, read 514,457 times
Sac never had a golden age. We got close and there was a lot of good momentum, but Covid just destroyed Sacramento.

Old 09-23-2022, 10:52 AM

For very small values of "destroyed," perhaps. The city's still growing despite the assumption of people who choose to wear blinders when they come downtown lest they see evidence to the contrary of their assumptions.

Old 09-23-2022, 03:24 PM

6,907 posts, read 8,279,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Boy View Post
Sac never had a golden age. We got close and there was a lot of good momentum, but Covid just destroyed Sacramento.
Some recent descriptions of Sacramento by Southern Californias

"Where the Capital is in the Plains"

These two are oxymorons:
"The North Desert above Vegas" and they think Sacramento is further inland than Vegas.
"Where our water comes from...the Colorado River",
they don't even know they get water from the Sacramento River, tool"...its all the same to them, "we need it, we will take it".

Old 10-19-2022, 09:42 AM

10 posts, read 8,696 times
My wife and I moved from Los Angeles back in 2019 right before covid hit. I say that because even though most people would consider Sacramento boring (and to be honest it probably is) we've never had a problem with that. I think for the most part we're homebodies but we do enjoy the natural beautify that surrounds the region and even our own neighborhood. There's many restaurants to go to and many things to do put on by the community. Half the time we don't know what going on but we an event happening here or there and while we may not attend, it makes it feel like we live in a lively city. We also have a dog so we're usually at the dog park or walking along the river being amazed at the wildlife.

Old 10-19-2022, 10:31 AM

If a lot of events happen in your area and you don't have a chance to attend, it doesn't just make one feel like you're in a lively city, it means you do live in a lively city. Most of the people who consider Sacramento boring don't live here, or they have been so convinced by others who don't know better that Sacramento is boring that they never bother going out and finding things to do. But if one is inclined to be a homebody, then we're no more or less boring than Los Angeles or New York City: if you stay home instead of going out, you're just as bored/not bored in Sacramento as you are in those cities.

And for those seeking the suburbs, whether it's the suburbs of Sacramento or those of Los Angeles or New York City, boredom isn't a down side, it's a net positive--one of the most important things a suburb can do is be extremely, consistently boring.

Old 10-19-2022, 05:28 PM

10 posts, read 8,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
If a lot of events happen in your area and you don't have a chance to attend, it doesn't just make one feel like you're in a lively city, it means you do live in a lively city.
You're right, but for some reason it feels like we're still trying to convince ourselves of that! Or at least having to defend against those (often imaginary) critical voices talking trash about the city. I downloaded TikTok for a couple hours and searched "Sacramento" expecting to find pleasant videos appreciating life up here but instead I found pure negativity. Like c'mon people have some pride.

Old 10-19-2022, 10:14 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Over the years we caught many Striped Bass, catfish, etc from the Sacramento River (released most). We camped along the river. Day & night fished. Our favorite bait is Pileworms, & a small baitfish we caught along the canals.
We spent a lot of time fishing, camping, exploring around the CA Delta, Lake Camanche south shore, (Black Bass), Delta/Mendota Canal, CA Aqueduct, O'Neill Forebay, Pajaro River, Stanislaus River, San Luis Res, Lake Oroville.
We have had many good times, great memories.

Old 10-19-2022, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadigofla View Post
You're right, but for some reason it feels like we're still trying to convince ourselves of that! Or at least having to defend against those (often imaginary) critical voices talking trash about the city. I downloaded TikTok for a couple hours and searched "Sacramento" expecting to find pleasant videos appreciating life up here but instead I found pure negativity. Like c'mon people have some pride.

Oh, you're not wrong about the critical trash talkers--there is a certain sort of local who, when people announce that they like Sacramento and that there are lots of interesting things to do here, enjoys telling them that they are in fact wrong, and that Sacramento is, and will always be, boring and terrible. Doesn't make any sense to me! But I'm glad you're enjoying yourself, let the trash talkers wallow in their misery I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento