Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 07:59 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times

Advertisements

The question is, what does "revitalize" mean in this context? About 3 million people visit the six-block area of Old Sacramento every year, and they generally seem to like it a lot. It's our #1 tourist destination by quite a stretch. There are multiple weekend-long festivals and street fairs that draw around 50,000 people each.

As to L Street across from the Capitol, it already is a retail shopping/entertainment area: on that stretch you have jewelry, men's clothes, a few places for cookies and candy, specialty services like shoe repair, a cigar bar, a hotel, a big theater, and toward the east end, three restaurants and two nightclubs. Sure, there are already plenty of offices--being the administrative hub of a $2 trillion economy requires a lot of office space. Who says it's a profane notion to use that street for entertainment and shopping?

Could there be "more" in either area? Sure, there could always be more. But businesses require customers, and there you have two basic choices. You can make parking cheaper and more plentiful (which is expensive and very bad for foot traffic) and hope you can get customers to come there from the suburbs, or you can add more residential units to the neighborhood and create a customer base for those businesses. You don't even have to add that many--just enough to turn downtown back into something resembling a residential neighborhood. People already want to live there--the problem is one of supply, not demand, and the local development community would rather build offices downtown (perceived as more profitable and less trouble) and build suburban developments on the urban fringe. And when people do start talking about living downtown, often they end up talking about building new housing in existing residential neighborhoods near downtown, not in the CBD itself--or in far-off industrial areas like Township 9, which is about as far from downtown as East Sacramento.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 11:35 PM

290 posts, read 544,521 times
No reason to tear it down but considering Sacramento is the capital of California you would think we could have something more impressive. It could use a bit of a revamp. You go to a place like San Antonio Texas and you see what can be done with a river front.

I do agree with moovin though. The city has really screwed up its opportunities to take advantage of all the river front areas. That's one of Sac's best assets. Sac has been been public sector for so long and it shows.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:59 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,670,445 times
Some people (OP) just don't have an appreciation for history, I guess. IMO, Old Sac is one of the coolest places in the entire state (assume that it hasn't been neglected since last I was there in 2007; if it has, then indeed it should be revamped). The frontier festivals/Old West Days have an authentic backdrop that makes them more fun and meaningful than most other festivals where parades and living history performances take place on paved roads in front of modern storefronts. I've had so much fun visiting Old Sacramento many times over three decades (as a tourist, maybe--but unsuspecting? Hardly ).

Old 04-11-2014, 08:34 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
We had some good times and have some great memories about Old Town, especially of taking grandchildren there for some of the festivals such Frontier Days and the Pacific Rim event and back in the day, Jazz Festival venues. They have good memories of it too and that's what really counts. While not likely feasible from a business perspective, it would be nicer if some more upscale establishments replace some of what I've always referred to as tourist junk stores but by-and-large, there's something for almost everyone there if they take to time to look for it. I strongly favor continued historic renovation over demolition. If we were still in Sacramento I wouldn't mind living there in retirement.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:54 AM

771 posts, read 1,581,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
We had some good times and have some great memories about Old Town, especially of taking grandchildren there for some of the festivals such Frontier Days and the Pacific Rim event and back in the day, Jazz Festival venues. They have good memories of it too and that's what really counts. While not likely feasible from a business perspective, it would be nicer if some more upscale establishments replace some of what I've always referred to as tourist junk stores but by-and-large, there's something for almost everyone there if they take to time to look for it. I strongly favor continued historic renovation over demolition. If we were still in Sacramento I wouldn't mind living there in retirement.
Old Town is a mixed bag. If they ever get a good ped bridge connection over to stuff that West Sac is doing to beef up its waterfront, it will be a really cool area.

However, a few years ago a good friend of mine was in town, staying on L Street, and needed some tourist stuff to take home for the kids... there's really nothing on K Street/core - its all over in Old Town - the tacky has got to be *somewhere*.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:25 PM

6,904 posts, read 8,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdev View Post
You go to a place like San Antonio Texas and you see what can be done with a river front.
The thing about San Antonio's river, it's basically a creek and it is very easy to control, manipulate and design a Disney like atmosphere around it. San Antonio's river is extremely small compared to the Sacramento River.

San Antonio's riverwalk was designed by Disney. In it first few decades, even after Disney designed the riverwalk, it was a stinky, overbearly humid-hot area to walk around.

But once they devoted funds to keep it clean and less stinky with the help of AT&T funding and donations,(corporate headqrts in San Antonio), and because it is so small, they were able to make it a bonafide tourist destination.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:45 PM

141 posts, read 534,914 times
My post wasn't a troll post but I'm not a public works planner, builder, or anything like that, so you need to consider my use of hyperbole and metaphor to make my point. One thing I have done is traveled extensively and have seen the beauty and draw of riverfronts. What works in one city may not work in another but I am confident that Sac is at the bottom end of its potential of a thriving riverfront. It may draw numbers of tourists as it is but so does the giant ball of yarn (wherever that is). Its cheesy. If you like old West towns then you should go to Universal Studios. My point is I will never go there or advise any business associate, friend, or decent human being to ever visit that location in Sac. I would always point to mid-town or mid-town/Capital area. It may be successful but it could be much more successful.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:34 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moovin View Post
What works in one city may not work in another but I am confident that Sac is at the bottom end of its potential of a thriving riverfront. It may draw numbers of tourists as it is but so does the giant ball of yarn (wherever that is). Its cheesy. It may be successful but it could be much more successful.
I agree. Sacramento's lack of riverfront has been discussed for years, even on CD.
I've only been there probably less than 5 times since I moved to Sacramento in 2005. It IS touristy. The stores are touristy. There are some good restaurants, unfortunately, I haven't been to The Firehouse yet. Everything else I tried was, let's say, not worth a repeat visit. I'm not into festivals. I would like to go to the underground tour and visit some of the Museums if I go again.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:19 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
Problem is, the only solution I hear is "bulldoze it!" and they don't seem to notice any of the riverfront we have besides the 1000 or so feet of Old Sacramento. I can only assume that they prefer the bulldozed part, and just want to sabotage the city by destroying a part of it that people not from Sacramento actually like to visit. Or they just hate old buildings. Obviously if you live way out in the sticks you're not going to find yourself in Old Sacramento that often. And if you're not into festivals, then Old Sacramento isn't for you....or Midtown/Downtown for that matter. Or Old Folsom or Old Roseville, or Old Auburn or Old Placerville, either. They seem to have quite a few festivals.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:21 PM

290 posts, read 544,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
The thing about San Antonio's river, it's basically a creek and it is very easy to control, manipulate and design a Disney like atmosphere around it. San Antonio's river is extremely small compared to the Sacramento River.

San Antonio's riverwalk was designed by Disney. In it first few decades, even after Disney designed the riverwalk, it was a stinky, overbearly humid-hot area to walk around.

But once they devoted funds to keep it clean and less stinky with the help of AT&T funding and donations,(corporate headqrts in San Antonio), and because it is so small, they were able to make it a bonafide tourist destination.
You are right it is smaller. I guess some of us feel it would be nice to touch up our riverfront boardwalk. Ironically the Disney thing isn't too far off from the idea.

Last edited by webdev; 04-15-2014 at 11:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento