Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 11:46 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,799,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
From the San Antonio Riverwalk history website:

"Marco Engineering Company of California, major designers of Disneyland, complete a report, funded by the City and the Chamber, on the commercial potential of the river. The plan suggests that all buildings which back up to the river be developed in an early Texas or Mexican colonial style, and that as many as possible be rehabilitated to provide basement space that would open at the River Walk level to accommodate retail and entertainment facilities".
But did Walt himself have anything to do with it? The Contractor is just coincidental.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 07:44 PM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times
Quote:
From the San Antonio Riverwalk history website:

"Marco Engineering Company of California, major designers of Disneyland, complete a report, funded by the City and the Chamber, on the commercial potential of the river. The plan suggests that all buildings which back up to the river be developed in an early Texas or Mexican colonial style, and that as many as possible be rehabilitated to provide basement space that would open at the River Walk level to accommodate retail and entertainment facilities".
Walking around it feels like you are in a Disney designed attraction. Before taking the tour, while walking around the "river" I said to my partner "this feels like a man made creek - like a Disney attraction".

Then, the next day, the San Antonio native tour guide said the place was "designed by Disney"!

Old 04-24-2014, 08:38 AM

624 posts, read 905,762 times
Quote:
Walking around it feels like you are in a Disney designed attraction. Before taking the tour, while walking around the "river" I said to my partner "this feels like a man made creek - like a Disney attraction".

Then, the next day, the San Antonio native tour guide said the place was "designed by Disney"!
Part of it is man made two extensions were built. One is the section that leads to River Center Mall and from there to the Lila Cockrell Theatre. This section is an off-shoot of the river bend or loop through downtown which is all original. I guess the tour guides need to be better informed, while on one of the barges a tourist asked does the SA River flow to the Gulf he replied no. Wrong answer its 240 miles long and flows to the Gulf of Mexico.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:40 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
Thought this was interesting given this discussion:

Entrepreneur doubles down on vision for Old Sacramento - Sacramento Business Journal

Quote:
But Lanyadoo said that’s just the start. One of the other buildings he’s hoping to buy would house a concept he calls Chelsea Square, with dining, entertainment and retail, and he’s also hoping to boost residential living within Old Sacramento.
“Everything around here can be used for residential,” he said. “We need more people living down here.”
Of course, sticking to Business Journal pravda that nobody should live downtown, they call this developer "eccentric" based on the idea that people might actually want to live in Old Sacramento. I'd like to meet this guy!

Old 04-24-2014, 02:20 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,429,912 times
Quote:
Walking around it feels like you are in a Disney designed attraction. Before taking the tour, while walking around the "river" I said to my partner "this feels like a man made creek - like a Disney attraction". Then, the next day, the San Antonio native tour guide said the place was "designed by Disney"!
This is very interesting, as I have often wondered the same thing. And as I walked around Knott's Berry farm a while back, it was like Deja-vu....

Old 04-24-2014, 05:56 PM

660 posts, read 1,081,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post

Entrepreneur doubles down on vision for Old Sacramento - Sacramento Business Journal

Of course, sticking to Business Journal pravda that nobody should live downtown, they call this developer "eccentric" based on the idea that people might actually want to live in Old Sacramento. I'd like to meet this guy!
Well right now nobody wants to live in Old Sac. Why would they? It's a tourist trap wedged between a freeway and a relatively inaccessible river (with some railroad tracks thrown in). There's always homeless people around, and there aren't any amenities to make it comfortable for local residents. The closest grocery store is 20 blocks away, and it's completely dead after the tourist traps close shop for the night. Unless you want to hang out at Fannie Anne's or Gallagher's.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:

Also you should probably read the article again because the word "eccentric" doesn't appear in it at all.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:20 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
It did but they seem to have edited it out--note the article URL: bizjournals.com/sacramento/news/2014/04/22/eccentric-entrepreneur-vision-old-sacramento.html

Old 04-24-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
It did but they seem to have edited it out--note the article URL: bizjournals.com/sacramento/news/2014/04/22/eccentric-entrepreneur-vision-old-sacramento.html
That makes sense. Perhaps they used eccentric first and changed it to excitable? Either way I think the word was used to describe this individual's personality and not necessarily the idea of housing on The Grid.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:42 PM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyH View Post
Part of it is man made two extensions were built. One is the section that leads to River Center Mall and from there to the Lila Cockrell Theatre. This section is an off-shoot of the river bend or loop through downtown which is all original. I guess the tour guides need to be better informed, while on one of the barges a tourist asked does the SA River flow to the Gulf he replied no. Wrong answer its 240 miles long and flows to the Gulf of Mexico.
The SA river in SA, feels like the many rivers and creeks of Southern California or the dryer valleys of NorCal. Such as the Guadelupe River in San Jose, LA river, etc. etc., name the town in SoCal along the coast and it has a tiny river like the SA River in downtown SA. Californians are not fond of Disneyfing it's rivers, they like to keep them has natural as possible, except the LA River was turned into a giant concrete viaduct because of the torrential Pacific winter storms flooding.

I like SA's Riverwalk, they did a good job and it is a bonfide tourist attraction. It get's old fast though; it's like walking around in circles at a Disneyland attraction. It's horrible in the summer; it's make Sacramento weather feel like a cool breeze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento