Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 04:52 PM

762 posts, read 2,031,272 times

Advertisements

DUH obviously the
1. Abundance of trees
2. The American river bike trail
3. the wide open spaces and driving in to the city over the yolo causeway, the surprising tuft of tall buildings in an otherwise vacant, vast skyline.
4. The deep water channels that access our city from the pacific
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 04:47 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,067,573 times
Trees, nice parks, nice place to raise a family, proximity to things, nice roses everywhere, many restaurants and appears to be good chinese food here.

All the positives considering the negatives I listed before.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,336 times
The only thing about Sac that is nice, is the weather! Sacramento is nothing but a hick town with no culture! To many old men/women in the capital making old decisions for people who want to see change! Sacramento will remain the same because the boring people who live here don't want change! Born and raised here! San Francisco here I come, a true city that embraces life, and people!!!

Old 02-13-2012, 12:13 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
The folks in the capitol building have pretty much nothing to do with the rest of the city, that comes from the people who live here. If you're not contributing to the city's culture by your own actions, it's your own fault, and you almost certainly won't be contributing to the culture of whatever city you leave Sacramento to inhabit. Good luck in your travels, and don't let the causeway hit you where the good lord split you.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:16 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post
Finally someone had the balls to say it!
Why would such an admission require 'balls', as if that is news? All close-minded "birds of a feather flock together". Should white folks be any different?

Old 02-14-2012, 01:19 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,652,565 times
I kinda don't know what it is that all the haters would have me dislike the place. I wish the air were a little cleaner. Crime--well, I wish there were less, but it's pretty localized and I don't ever feel in any danger. I'm still rooting for downtown, the railyards, and the general city center to become a little more dynamic. Honestly though, there are far more great restaurants, bars, night spots, etc than I could ever go to enough to *wish* another spot would open. My list of "places I should check out" is ridiculously long. Not to mention that it costs far less to go out here than pretty much any other city in California.

I'm a big fan of beer, and I wish the beer scene would take a page from Portland's book, but there are already some great places in town with more opening soon (New Helvetia, in a disused former tortilla factory). It may be the best place in the state to live if you like wine (you can BIKE to Clarksburg, choose from snooty Sonoma or Napa, or stay low key and hit the foothills or Lodi. I'd wager that the Sunday farmer's market is the best combo of value, variety, and quality of any in state (country?).

Also, our neighborhood is nicer, friendlier, and more attractive than pretty much anywhere I'd imagined myself living/being able to afford. Our little bungalow fits us perfectly, has everything we wanted, is walking distance a lot and biking distance to everything, and is totally affordable for us.

Also, it's really cheap.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:28 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,164,063 times
There is a pretty good beer scene in sac. Rubicon, river city brewing. Hell there is even a pyramid brewery. I think the only other places they have those are Berkeley, Portland, and Seattle.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
There is a pretty good beer scene in sac. Rubicon, river city brewing. Hell there is even a pyramid brewery. I think the only other places they have those are Berkeley, Portland, and Seattle.
And, I think, Concord has a Pyramid, which makes a little less of a point of pride But you're right--can't really complain, but I'm always eager for another spot that's unique and interesting. Rubicon, Hoppy, Pyramid and River City all have some pretty good drink. Track 7 is an awesome new brewery off of Sutterville near SCC. Plus, a lot of other non-brewery location to grab high quality beers (Alley Katz, Burgers and Brew, Pangaea).

Old 02-14-2012, 03:51 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
You guys are all set for Beer Week, right? The author of a book on Sacramento's brewing history (we used to have the biggest brewery on the west coast, the Buffalo) is giving atalk this weekend, his book inspired a local beer fan and a brewer to bring back the name "Ruhstaller" for their newest brew, named after our city's best-known brewmeister, Frank Ruhstaller (and his son Frank Jr.) We're also a good town for coffee--the regional chain Java City got its start here, and there are dozens of great coffee places, independents and local small chains actually outnumber the Starbucks and Peets in the central city. And if you like both beer and coffee, there's always Pangea Two Brews!

Old 02-14-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
You guys are all set for Beer Week, right? The author of a book on Sacramento's brewing history (we used to have the biggest brewery on the west coast, the Buffalo) is giving atalk this weekend, his book inspired a local beer fan and a brewer to bring back the name "Ruhstaller" for their newest brew, named after our city's best-known brewmeister, Frank Ruhstaller (and his son Frank Jr.) We're also a good town for coffee--the regional chain Java City got its start here, and there are dozens of great coffee places, independents and local small chains actually outnumber the Starbucks and Peets in the central city. And if you like both beer and coffee, there's always Pangea Two Brews!
I'm finding Beer Week completely overwhelming. There's just so much to drink! It doesn't help that I live between Pangaea, Dad's and Track 7.

Do you have a link you can share for the beer history talk? PM if you prefer.

I've been following the recent revival of Sacramento beer history with interest--the Ruhstaller beer (being brewed at Hoppy for now, hopefully he'll find a place of his own) and the opening of New Helvetia at 17th and Broadway, who is bringing back the Buffalo theme (even though apparently the copyright is owned by a Japanese company, so he can't use Buffalo for the whole brewery...or something).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento