Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 09:03 AM

11 posts, read 14,976 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys,

I am relocating to Northern California for work. I was given the options of the San Francisco, San Jose, and Sacramento area. I'm an electrical engineer that travels quite a bit. I haven't actually been out there yet to visits the places but have a couple business trips out there and will be able to check it out in a couple weeks. After lots of research I've pretty much decided on Sacramento, the cost of living is a lot cheaper then the other options, seems very outdoorsy, close to Tahoe (I'm a big snowboard/skier), and hopefully a lot of young/like minded people.

A little about me, I'm a single 24 yr/male. I really enjoy the outdoors hiking,running,snowboarding, rafting, ect. I was grew up in Colorado and went to school out there and now am currently living in Nashville Tn for the last year for my job. I also have a little lab who's 1.5 years old, she loves going running, biking, hiking, and camping with me. (Is Sac pretty dog friendly?)

From what I've read Midtown/East Sac are the place to be if your younger and looking to meet people. I'm going to be moving in 1-2 months without knowing anyone west of Colorado. I make a decent salary and was potentially thinking of buying and renting out a room. (I've had a decent amount of experience renting/buying/fixing up houses)

My biggest concern is meeting new people in a new city without knowing anyone. Also if anyone has any advice on places to check out when I come, other places to live, any advice, anything I should know about before I come or completely settle and tell my company that I"ll be relocating there for sure. (Most of the moving posts are for couples/families, so looking for something different than most of all the other posts)

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited by Hopz; 04-24-2014 at 09:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 12:06 AM

409 posts, read 957,228 times
Try meetup.com for Sacramento and search for the activities you enjoy (rafting, running, hiking, etc). Good way to meet people.

Hope all works out for you!

Old 04-25-2014, 01:25 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,261,634 times
try reddit, they have a lot of meetups and most people there live in or around midtown

Old 04-25-2014, 05:36 AM

68 posts, read 109,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopz View Post
Hey Guys,

the cost of living is a lot cheaper then the other options, seems very outdoorsy, close to Tahoe (I'm a big snowboard/skier), and hopefully a lot of young/like minded people.

A little about me, I'm a single 24 yr/male. I really enjoy the outdoors hiking,running,snowboarding, rafting, ect.

I also have a little lab who's 1.5 years old, she loves going running, biking, hiking, and camping with me. (Is Sac pretty dog friendly?)

From what I've read Midtown/East Sac are the place to be if your younger and looking to meet people. I'm going to be moving in 1-2 months without knowing anyone west of Colorado. I make a decent salary and was potentially thinking of buying and renting out a room. (I've had a decent amount of experience renting/buying/fixing up houses)
As for Sac vs SJ vs SF, you've made the right choice. Sac rocks and fits your criteria. Plenty of singles around via meetup, sports leagues, coffee shops, etc. You should be able to find ppl to hike/run with. But shhhhh, don't tell any young folk from SF area. If they find out how good Sac is, they'll inflate the somewhat affordable cost of living. Bay Area is stupid expensive. Sac is a much better value. And if you ever yearn to go to the Bay it's pretty close drive or train ride anyway.

Look forward to plenty of good shredding in Tahoe winter 2014! Last two years have been pretty drought-esque. So we are due for a killer season 500+ inches next year in terms of snowpack (but not in Sac of course, only in the mtns...that's one of the greatest things about Sac's proximity to the Sierras...enjoy all the benefits of great snow without having to actually live in it)

Sac is pretty dog-friendly overall. No worries there. Some businesses won't let 'em indoors, but otherwise you're fine.

Midtown/East Sac is the place to be. Midtown if you want more rowdiness/nightlife. East Sac if you want urban lifestyle but a little more upscale and quiet. At age 24/single, I'd vote midtown.

Not sure of your financial situation, but not sure you'll be able to afford to buy there right away. I know that EEs make good money, but midtown is pretty desirable and not dirt cheap by any means. You should be able to rent a nice place no prob, but buy? You'll have to investigate more upon arrival.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:17 AM

6,892 posts, read 8,267,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbt263 View Post

Not sure of your financial situation, but not sure you'll be able to afford to buy there right away. I know that EEs make good money, but midtown is pretty desirable and not dirt cheap by any means. You should be able to rent a nice place no prob, but buy? You'll have to investigate more upon arrival.
Yes, buy now if you can. 2bd/1ba or 3bd/2ba, 3bd/1b, 3bd/2ba - 1,200 to 1,500 sq. ft. would a good affordable target in the neighborhoods directly surrounding the midown/downtown, and UC Davis Med Center area.

Most affordable would be Tahoe Park, Oak Park, Curtis Park. These are older Sacramento style leafy-tree heavy neighborhoods.

Curtis Park most pricey of the bunch - can't go wrong.

Tahoe Park most bang for your buck and very close to all the action - can't go wrong.

Oak Park is still the hood in many many parts but awesome homes and streets, very close to midtown/downtown. Crime rates improving, could be the next "gentrifying" neighborhood. If and when it turns primarily owner occupied, could be the toniest and coolest neighborhood in Sacramento.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
As for Sac vs SJ vs SF, you've made the right choice. Sac rocks and fits your criteria. Plenty of singles around via meetup, sports leagues, coffee shops, etc. You should be able to find ppl to hike/run with. But shhhhh, don't tell any young folk from SF area. If they find out how good Sac is, they'll inflate the somewhat affordable cost of living. Bay Area is stupid expensive. Sac is a much better value. And if you ever yearn to go to the Bay it's pretty close drive or train ride anyway.

Look forward to plenty of good shredding in Tahoe winter 2014! Last two years have been pretty drought-esque. So we are due for a killer season 500+ inches next year in terms of snowpack (but not in Sac of course, only in the mtns...that's one of the greatest things about Sac's proximity to the Sierras...enjoy all the benefits of great snow without having to actually live in it)

Sac is pretty dog-friendly overall. No worries there. Some businesses won't let 'em indoors, but otherwise you're fine.

Midtown/East Sac is the place to be. Midtown if you want more rowdiness/nightlife. East Sac if you want urban lifestyle but a little more upscale and quiet. At age 24/single, I'd vote midtown.

Thanks fbt263, glad I made the right decision. It was a tough one to make! Definitely looking forward to the Tahoe winter and seeing what all this hype about California skiing is a lot about.

Do most places with outdoor seating or patois's let dogs out there and just relax under the table?

Are there any parts of Midtown that are 'safer'? or any places I should avoid while looking for places in that area?

Old 04-25-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Yes, buy now if you can. 2bd/1ba or 3bd/2ba, 3bd/1b, 3bd/2ba - 1,200 to 1,500 sq. ft. would a good affordable target in the neighborhoods directly surrounding the midown/downtown, and UC Davis Med Center area.

Most affordable would be Tahoe Park, Oak Park, Curtis Park. These are older Sacramento style leafy-tree heavy neighborhoods.

Curtis Park most pricey of the bunch - can't go wrong.

Tahoe Park most bang for your buck and very close to all the action - can't go wrong.

Oak Park is still the hood in many many parts but awesome homes and streets, very close to midtown/downtown. Crime rates improving, could be the next "gentrifying" neighborhood. If and when it turns primarily owner occupied, could be the toniest and coolest neighborhood in Sacramento.
Thanks Chimerique, if I can't find anything in midtown that seems to fit. I'll definitely take a look into those!

Old 04-25-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopz View Post

Do most places with outdoor seating or patois's let dogs out there and just relax under the table?

Are there any parts of Midtown that are 'safer'? or any places I should avoid while looking for places in that area?
Most places will let well-behaved dogs hang out in outdoor seating areas, yes. With a lab, you should be golden. Some places will even give your dog water.

Midtown is generally pretty safe. Very little violent crime. There is some property crime, and it's a city, so sketchy characters sometimes linger, but nothing worth worrying about too much. Normal common sense will keep you safe...don't walk down dark alleyways in the middle of the night etc. There are other threads that cover this better, but in my opinion for someone 20-30 the best area to live is e/of 16th St, w/o Capital City Freeway, s/o H St, n/o P St.

I stand by my comment that it's not cheap to buy in Midtown Midtown Real Estate & Midtown Homes For Sale — Trulia.com And prices are at a mini-"peak" right now Sellers’ market has few homes - Real Estate - The Sacramento Bee Sellers’ market has few homes - Real Estate - The Sacramento Bee Not sure it's the best time to buy.

Chimérique makes some good tips/points, but keep in mind those areas are NOT midtown. Tahoe Park and Oak Park are definitely cheaper, but there is more crime and you're further away from the great nightlife and other amenities that midtown has to offer. But if you're looking for an "investment" house, those are good places to look.

In the end, I think you should rent in midtown and get a feel for the general area before you start looking to buy.

Welcome to Sac!

Old 04-25-2014, 09:52 PM

6,892 posts, read 8,267,952 times
Quote:
Most places will let well-behaved dogs hang out in outdoor seating areas, yes. With a lab, you should be golden. Some places will even give your dog water.

Midtown is generally pretty safe. Very little violent crime. There is some property crime, and it's a city, so sketchy characters sometimes linger, but nothing worth worrying about too much. Normal common sense will keep you safe...don't walk down dark alleyways in the middle of the night etc. There are other threads that cover this better, but in my opinion for someone 20-30 the best area to live is e/of 16th St, w/o Capital City Freeway, s/o H St, n/o P St.

I stand by my comment that it's not cheap to buy in Midtown Midtown Real Estate & Midtown Homes For Sale — Trulia.com And prices are at a mini-"peak" right now Sellers’ market has few homes - Real Estate - The Sacramento Bee Sellers’ market has few homes - Real Estate - The Sacramento Bee Not sure it's the best time to buy.

Chimérique makes some good tips/points, but keep in mind those areas are NOT midtown. Tahoe Park and Oak Park are definitely cheaper, but there is more crime and you're further away from the great nightlife and other amenities that midtown has to offer. But if you're looking for an "investment" house, those are good places to look.

In the end, I think you should rent in midtown and get a feel for the general area before you start looking to buy.

Welcome to Sac!
I'll add to this.
I take my dogs everywhere. Midtown has lots of outdoor eatieries and drinking establishments and they allow your dog to sit under the table. Practically every business offers water bowls, and some have permanent water bowls.

Tahoe Park is a long term established neighborhood, very diverse, young single guys, young couples, middle aged everything, lots of well behaved kids, Very affordable for a young person, crime rate is not high. It's very Sacramento and it feels like it's part of the midtown/downtown. But, no you can't walk home from midtown restaurants and bars, you would need to drive or take light rail. It's a 15 min bike ride from midtown.

Tahoe Park has some great restaurants - Kansai, Thai Bakery Restaurant, Wingstop BBQ, Lumiere, another Chinese restaurant next to Lumiere. All of these are neighborhood mom&pop businesses except for Wingstop. Bacon and Butter Restaurant is moving out of Midtown into Tahoe Park!
Tahoe Park and Elmhurst are basically East Sac adjacent.

Oak Park is a whole other world compared to Tahoe Park, simply because it still is a higher crime, mostly rental housing, lower income demographic -- too bad because so many of those streets have beautiful large and small unique homes with tons of large old trees. And it's very very close to midtown.

Old 04-26-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
I'll add to this.

Tahoe Park has some great restaurants - Kansai, Thai Bakery Restaurant, Wingstop BBQ, Lumiere, another Chinese restaurant next to Lumiere.
+1

Let me add MoMo's Meat Market to that list of great Tahoe Park food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento