Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2014, 04:29 PM

5 posts, read 23,722 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am interested in attending UC Davis and want to know how much I can expect to pay for textbooks, on the average.

It would be nice to get some feedback from current students, but I'll take a number from anyone as long as I know when they left UC Davis.

Edit: Please include where you purchased the textbooks, as this will likely influence the total price I pay for textbooks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 12:05 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,841,862 times
You might want to contact student services to find out if there is an alternative for cheaper or used books.

When I was recently looking to school, there was an option to buy virtual books online vs a hard copy. So you might want to check that out too.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:47 AM

79 posts, read 157,964 times
This is an extremely broad and impossible question to answer. The textbooks are contingent on the professor and the class. No one can give you an average - there are too many variables.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:29 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,455,557 times
Try looking at the online class schedule for the current semester to get an idea of what books they're using in your field. Or go to the online bookstore and just browse. (Edit: Just checked and all the classes are listed, but no book lists are available yet.)

I just finished my last class in a local community college, and my books were running $200 to $350 each, and a friend laughed that her anatomy and chemistry books cost a lot more than that.

Best bet is find what book is required, get the ISBN and then shop it all over the country for the best deal. Good luck.

Last edited by cb73; 05-03-2014 at 01:40 PM..

Old 05-03-2014, 08:35 PM

79 posts, read 157,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
I just finished my last class in a local community college, and my books were running $200 to $350 each, and a friend laughed that her anatomy and chemistry books cost a lot more than that.
I'm finishing up community college in the Fall and the most expensive book I've ever had was $250 (which was for a hardcover accounting text) - the average price has been all over depending on the class. My history class this past semester had a textbook for $8, while my communications class was $150.

The OP is only considering attending Davis. The choice of university really has no bearing on how much the textbook costs. I' had a teacher who taught at Davis and ARC, utilizing the same textbook, and that was about $50. Depends on what the OPs major is.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:21 PM

57 posts, read 115,981 times
Yes, your cost will depend greatly on the major. English paperbacks cost considerably less than specialized business or engineering books.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:18 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Too variable.

1) Do not buy textbooks until you actually need the textbook. I didn't learn that very quickly. UC Davis uses standardized textbooks in most of the colleges (engineering, letters & science anyway). Just because a textbook is on the syllabus doesn't mean you'll use it. Some professors are upfront about that and will tell you on the first day to return it. They're tenured and can defy the institution. A lecturer, which is who will be teaching many of your classes, cannot. Don't buy textbooks until you need them. Certain classes like chemistry or calculus, you probably will. Online is an option to save money there but you also could end up buying a book you won't use, so use caution.

2) Textbooks are on reserve at the library for many classes. You can reserve them for two hours at a time. If it's not a textbook you'll use frequently, it's a good route to go. If it's a textbook you're married to for the class, it won't work especially during midterms/finals and you'll need to buy it. I'd say for about half my classes, I never bought text books and just used the ones on reserve with occasional photocopying of necessary sections.

3) The real book store is off-campus conveniently located at 3rd and A Street. They don't always have everything so sometimes you'll have to resort to the overpriced bookstore. The real bookstore doesn't have a great return policy and can run out of some books.

If you're a science major, you'll use the calculus/basic chem books. I think I paid $90 for the chem book and $120 for calculus, both used from the real book store. By the time I was through with them they were falling apart. They're by far the best value I had of any textbook. Worst was a first edition engineer text book that was $200 something, poorly made, barely used, came out with a second edition and was just a paperweight at that point. Speaking of which, you can often use the previous edition and then just photocopy problem sets. They like to change the page numbers to force universities to buy new books for no reason so they'll be the same damn book with different page numbers. Sometimes the professors will just give you the page numbers for both editions since nobody likes that racket.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:28 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,652,209 times
If you can swing, buy the previous editions online. They're crazy cheap for some subjects. They do make changes to ********* into buying a new edition, but if, for instance, your class isn't relying on numbered questions in the book, it might not make any difference. If you're feeling bold, saunter up to the prof and ask if there's an issue with using the previous edition. If they didn't write the book, they'll probably tell you straight-up.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:32 PM

301 posts, read 519,628 times
Default Go e-Textbook

Purchase a second monitor for your computer and go digital instead of print. I recommend checking out a Web site such as CourseSmart (CourseSmart: Our Products). Several publishers including biggies such as Cengage, Pearson, and McGraw/Hill have their e-texts available for rental at a deep discount. The most expensive text my students purchase costs about $215 new, but a six-month e-text rental is around $54. E-texts can also be opened on tablets and smartphones--no heavy lifting! And you can print pages out, if needed, but you must be online to print. Most e-texts are available for 180, 360, or 540 days; you pick the term.

The campus bookstore at the college where I work (not UC Davis) also offers students a "rent" option which is about 1/3 to 1/2 the price of new print. But you must return it by the due date or you will be charged full price. That may be an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
View detailed profiles of: