Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2014, 07:30 PM

14 posts, read 38,509 times

Advertisements

I need advice on where to live around sacramento. im in my early 20s, have good renters history and credit, and just need to get out of murphys ca. the town is absolutely beautiful but is too small with not enough job opportunities. i have to work 2 part time jobs now because a full time position just doesnt exist here and my quality of life is slipping since i only get 1 day off a week because of shifts overlapping. i dont mind driving 20 min to work, but id rather walk or bike. i graduated from culinary school so finding a job in the field should be quite easy as i can look for barista, line cook, baker, bartender etc. an apartment would be fine but a yard would be awesome. i have a roommate so we can afford up to 1200/ mo. but would like to stay below 1000 for a 2bed. i am leaning towards sacramento because the proximity to the bay area, the mountains and my family in clovis/oakhurst. and yes i know that clovis is super cheap but i want to go somewhere new and a good distance from family, and bad as that may sound. i just want somewhere safe to live and i know like everywhere in the world there will be bad parts in any city so any advice would be great. again safety is first and foremost for us girls! btw i do not really go out or anything so nightlife is not important to me at all! in fact, a family neighborhood would be just fine for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 09:07 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Midtown

Old 05-13-2014, 11:17 PM

762 posts, read 2,030,980 times
I'd go to wine country if I were you. Come up in ranks and do high end dining

Old 05-13-2014, 11:36 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
Lots of restaurant jobs in Midtown/Downtown Sacramento, you may not be interested in nightlife as a consumer but most of the restaurants are in the same parts of town. If you live more than 2-3 blocks from nightclubs it's still pretty quiet and easy to live in Midtown, it's generally safe although if you work late, get a ride or drive rather than walk home alone. But that would be standard advice in any neighborhood, and there is a lot to do here other than partying/nightlife.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro View Post
I live in Murphys, which is largely wineries and events based around wine, and I honestly don't see myself being a chef over a baker. Baking is my passion, at least I think. I haven't been able to make that decision because it is impossible to get a job baking anywhere here. Even the surrounding cities sac is the only city I have seen ads for baking jobs at la brea and other large production jobs. That is, anywhere that is affordable to live. Napa is too expensive. Believe me, in the future I totally plan to go towards the bay area, when I am good enough at baking and decorating and can get a good paying job to afford to live there. For now it is not in the cards, and my lease is up Dec. 31.

I agree that Napa would be great though for a chef, and I would love the opportunity to learn more about WINE! The only knowledge I have is from a college class on wines on the world and wine tasting in Murphys, which does have some great wine

Old 05-14-2014, 05:28 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,262,793 times
Meadowview Gardens

Old 05-14-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro View Post
I live in Murphys, which is largely wineries and events based around wine, and I honestly don't see myself being a chef over a baker. Baking is my passion, at least I think. I haven't been able to make that decision because it is impossible to get a job baking anywhere here. Even the surrounding cities sac is the only city I have seen ads for baking jobs at la brea and other large production jobs. That is, anywhere that is affordable to live. Napa is too expensive. Believe me, in the future I plan to go towards the bay area, when I am good enough at baking and decorating and can get a good paying job to afford to live there. For now it is not in the cards, and my lease is up Dec. 31.

I would love to learn more about wine though! Napa would be great for that. I just want to go towards the baking and cake decorating. It pays better and being a line cook or a chef is incredibly stressful, but I got into it because the demand is high. Now I know why. I am young however
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento