Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 11:12 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I'm still hoping that someone converts one of the great old downtown hotels (currently in use as office buildings) to condos. I'd dig living at the Senator Hotel or the Forum Building with a view of Capitol Park!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 12:53 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post
I discounted the statement because I drive through Folsom all the time as I am househunting. I see hoardes of new developments that are obviously under-populated. Regardless of what a real estate agent says, they are nice, new fairly priced homes. Sorry if it came across as rude, but in the last 8 months I have dealt with car salesmen and real estate brokers alike. I am a little tired of hearing how "great" every product is and how "these are gone by the time we get them", whether it pertains to a open house or a car. Same crap, different industry.

Again, if I interpreted your post as bragadicious, my apology. It sure sounded like you are keenly aware of your equity, regardless of whether you plan to live there for the next 20 yrs. Anyone would be, so why hide it? I know I would be. I am almost jealous of people in your position . At the end of the day though the large number of new developments keep me from buying.
Kinda interesting, when I first moved to Sacto, East Sac that is, Folsom was the absolute last place I wanted to live. I was well aware of its reputation, and it's desirability. I looked all over the Sacto region but at that time, 2005-2007, there was not much I could afford. And this time around I really wanted location. So, I waited, and 2 jobs later, Folsom started looking really appealing. It was a total divine appointment that an agent on another forum contacted me, and we started house hunting, found the house that fit me, won the bid on offer #2, escrow closed & I was moving in within 5 months of starting my search. That was in 2011 at the bottom of the market. Yea, I can't help it that I'm thrilled to live here.

Hordes of new development??? I can't think of that many brand new developments in Folsom. Most of the new developments minus the custom homes, are on tiny lots, and are primarily 2 story homes (Treehouse, McAdoo & over by E Natomas), neither are my preference. I need a little bit of space, and I hate communal living. As much as I hate losing all that beautiful pasture land (country girl at heart), I think S50 could be really good for Folsom, if it is done right. It sounds like there will be a mixture of lot sizes & commercial development....so there is potential.

If you are really interested in Folsom and want to see your neighbors more often, you might want to check out some of the older more established neighborhoods. Not sure of your budget or other desires, but I'm in Broadstone near Folsom Lake College & within walking distance to shopping & the trails. I see people out & about all the time. Thank god the family across the street finally got a batting cage in their backyard so their boys are no longer using my garage door as their backstop.

Good luck to you sacite. Hope you find what you are looking for. Hold out for your dream.

Last edited by caligirlz; 05-22-2014 at 01:02 AM..

Old 05-22-2014, 02:00 AM

762 posts, read 2,030,980 times
Building excessive amounts of homes on the outskirts perpetuates problem caused by urban planning

Old 05-26-2014, 08:41 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,572,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
Kinda interesting, when I first moved to Sacto, East Sac that is, Folsom was the absolute last place I wanted to live. I was well aware of its reputation, and it's desirability. I looked all over the Sacto region but at that time, 2005-2007, there was not much I could afford. And this time around I really wanted location. So, I waited, and 2 jobs later, Folsom started looking really appealing. It was a total divine appointment that an agent on another forum contacted me, and we started house hunting, found the house that fit me, won the bid on offer #2, escrow closed & I was moving in within 5 months of starting my search. That was in 2011 at the bottom of the market. Yea, I can't help it that I'm thrilled to live here.

Hordes of new development??? I can't think of that many brand new developments in Folsom. Most of the new developments minus the custom homes, are on tiny lots, and are primarily 2 story homes (Treehouse, McAdoo & over by E Natomas), neither are my preference. I need a little bit of space, and I hate communal living. As much as I hate losing all that beautiful pasture land (country girl at heart), I think S50 could be really good for Folsom, if it is done right. It sounds like there will be a mixture of lot sizes & commercial development....so there is potential.

If you are really interested in Folsom and want to see your neighbors more often, you might want to check out some of the older more established neighborhoods. Not sure of your budget or other desires, but I'm in Broadstone near Folsom Lake College & within walking distance to shopping & the trails. I see people out & about all the time. Thank god the family across the street finally got a batting cage in their backyard so their boys are no longer using my garage door as their backstop.

Good luck to you sacite. Hope you find what you are looking for. Hold out for your dream.
Ya that Broadstone area is nice. I was just looking there the other day. I am probably in the same position that you were in in 2005. My income + expenses probably put me in the low $200k range, which is right on the cusp of being priced our of most desireable areas. I actually make $75k but I am single with a car payment and defined paycheck distributions going toward retirement. If not for that I would be in good position to buy in most places in the low $300k range, which seems to be about the mark for a decent place here.

I guess like a lot of things, it depends on what you want out of life. My entire afult life I have never really even thought about a house. I used the stocck market as my retirement/investment plan and rented in areas I wanted to live. That worked out good, but I kinda want my own place now instead if giving other people my money to pay their mortgages, and I want to take that next step and begin to build some equity. Thanks for your encouragement!

Old 05-26-2014, 05:14 PM

528 posts, read 867,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
Besides still being in a drought, and wondering where the water is going to come form for all these new homes and people, the real estate market hasn't fully recovered, either. If you look at any real estate website there are still tons of short sales and foreclosures and pending foreclosures. that's an awfully big project to take on with this kind of shaky market. But I'm sure the developers are applying the pressure on the city council and city manager as usual.
Absolutely nothing surprises me anymore. I've lived in MA which had poor planning practices but CA is certainly up there with those and it will be worse here because of the water supply. The water situation is SCARY because we need water for everything. If it dries up, California will be finished. If the water dries up you wont even be able to eat worms and insects! That's how sick this is. That's how sick the condition of California is. And now they want to expand?? South of highway 50? So this will affect toward Sacramento then? Some of the roads already have 6 lanes.. How many more can they build!? And isn't it frikken something that this is scheduled to happen at the height of possibly the worst brushfire summer we may ever have? You can only apply the pressure so much, the resources are about to run dry.

Old 05-26-2014, 05:59 PM

534 posts, read 1,533,298 times
Driving on Bidwell near Iron Point in Folsom is already a nightmare, and who was the planning buffoon that okayed all the u-turns at that intersection for north bound????

Imagine the horrendous traffic once south of 50 Folsom is built? I won't be shopping there anymore...

Old 05-26-2014, 09:36 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justducky2 View Post
Driving on Bidwell near Iron Point in Folsom is already a nightmare, and who was the planning buffoon that okayed all the u-turns at that intersection for north bound????
I think the freeway exchanges for EDH Blvd/Latrobe are a nightmare. The person who came up with that plan was a total idiot. Unfortunately I go through there every day on my way to & from work.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:15 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,999,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
I think the freeway exchanges for EDH Blvd/Latrobe are a nightmare. The person who came up with that plan was a total idiot. Unfortunately I go through there every day on my way to & from work.
Totally agree. They have made a change on the north side which helps but only slightly. On the Latrobe side it's just a complete mess.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:45 AM

527 posts, read 1,323,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
Totally agree. They have made a change on the north side which helps but only slightly. On the Latrobe side it's just a complete mess.
What is such a mess about it on the Latrobe side? Reason I ask is I don't recall having an issue there and use it frequently.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:20 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,999,504 times
There are 3 lanes going north through the intersection, only 1 goes straight through so traffic backs way up in that lane, even past the next light. And sadly that leads to the lane jumpers that wait until the last minute to shove in front of someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento