Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 11:45 AM

22 posts, read 40,845 times

Advertisements

Since they are both pretty big, are there any parts of midtown or east sac that are better or safer than others? How is parking in midtown?

The apartments on those links mentioned above look great but $1400 for a 1br is a bit steeper than what I was expecting. I figured I could get a decent midtown apt for $900 but maybe I'm wrong? Any other legit links/sites you know of outside of craigslist to use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 12:09 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,839,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponsor83 View Post
Since they are both pretty big, are there any parts of midtown or east sac that are better or safer than others? How is parking in midtown?

The apartments on those links mentioned above look great but $1400 for a 1br is a bit steeper than what I was expecting. I figured I could get a decent midtown apt for $900 but maybe I'm wrong? Any other legit links/sites you know of outside of craigslist to use?
The nicer side of East Sac would be the Fab 40s, McKinley Park area, Elmhurst, even as far out as River Park. I would personally avoid anything on Alhambra as that is where the homeless congregate. The closer you get to 65th St, the greater the concentration of students.

I lived at 4100 Folsom when I first moved to Sac. It was a great location & property. Not sure what rentals are going for, although, they probably are higer than $1400 if that is your limit.

I personally like this website for rentals, but there are others. www.sacrentals.com
I would never use CL, too much wishing prices. A lot of people in East Sac/midtown post signs in the window also, so it helps to drive around if you can.

Does UCDMC have any recommendations?

Old 07-03-2014, 04:27 PM

68 posts, read 109,793 times
Quote:
Hi all,

I keep hearing that sac is boring, weather's not great, ppl aren't very good looking, there aren't too many professional late 20 singles etc...but I'm sure that would hold true for most places compared to wla.

Any take you have would be great for my specific situation since I'm pretty unfamiliar with the area. Also, in terms of where to live, I keep hearing about midtown being the top spot, but I'm starting to hear that it's mostly a young hipster/semi ghetto crowd than a young professional one (and that it's only moderately safe). Would east sac or land park fit the criteria? (good safe spot that are legit for late 20's singles)? Safety is most important to me, but since I don't know anybody I wanna make sure I'm meeting like minded people too. Besides craigslist are there other good sites for rentals? Thanks for your help!
You've heard wrong...Sac is far from boring, has excellent weather (Mediterranean climate with the nicest summer nights on Earth), plenty of good looking people, plenty of single professionals. It's California's closest analog to Portland, Oregon or Austin, Texas, places that have a sterling reputation. Don't listen to the haters...they've likely never even been here.

Any fears of being bored are completely unfounded. I'd vote for Midtown or East Sac as the place to live. Both are pretty safe. Your commute to UCDMC would be easy (comically easy compared to LA commuting). In Midtown especially, lots of nightlife, sports leagues, arts events, music venues, hip coffee shops, etc where you can meet other singles. Around town you have the American River (super fun easy rafting), River Cats baseball, Kings basketball, FC Republic soccer. UC Davis is 15 min away...cool college town with lots of events. And if you get bored of that, remember, you're an 1hour30min from Berkeley, SF, Tahoe, Napa yada yada yada. That's less than a commute from Santa Monica to Downtown LA on some days!

Yes, there are some hipsters in Midtown...would not consider them "semi-ghetto". Not sure what you mean by that. For reference, Berkeley (where you went to school) is far more ghetto/rundown/unsafe than anywhere in East Sac or Midtown.

Sacramento carries a more laid back NorCal vibe, similar to the Bay Area. Don't expect to impress people with plastic surgery, bimmers, Lakers fandom, etc. That's a West LA thing.

Craigslist is good for rentals, but I'd also recommend scoping things out on foot. Plenty of "for rent" signs up that don't get posted to Craigs.

Welcome to Sacramento!

Old 07-03-2014, 04:29 PM

68 posts, read 109,793 times
Quote:
I figured I could get a decent midtown apt for $900 but maybe I'm wrong?
No, you can definitely get a decent apartment in Midtown in this price range. It won't be brand new, but it will be decent enough.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:32 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,277,077 times
Quote:
The northern and southern ends of Midtown (east of 16th to 29th, either north of about H Street or south of R Street) are quieter, safer, and parking is better, but it's still a premium. In the $900 or so a month price range it generally isn't included, so you'll have to park on the street.

Quote:
$900 isn't unreasonable for a 1br, a lot depends on your specific standards of "legit" are. But a lot of places are jacking up their rents due to arena frenzy and the housing boom--a friend I know who lives in a place that rents for $825 a month, the landlord refurbished some units in the building and is hoping to rent them for $1350-1650 per month.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:44 PM

379 posts, read 785,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Hey there sponsor83,

I agree with pistola916, midtown and the Grid are your best bet.

Also, The city of Davis, which is 12 miles west of Downtown Sac, might give you a little higher concentration of young professionals.

Like I said before, there really is no place in Sacramento like West LA. If you can tell us which neighborhood you actually live in now or ones you prefer in West LA, I could tell if there is anything like it in Sacramento.
I wouldn't suggest Davis for the OP, they'll be very isolated there on top of having to commute. Almost anyone OP's age living in Davis will be in some way affiliated with UC Davis or be married with kids. Midtown or somewhere close to it would be your best bet, OP.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:53 PM

6,885 posts, read 8,263,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbt263 View Post
You've heard wrong...Sac is far from boring, has excellent weather (Mediterranean climate with the nicest summer nights on Earth), plenty of good looking people, plenty of single professionals. It's California's closest analog to Portland, Oregon or Austin, Texas, places that have a sterling reputation. Don't listen to the haters...they've likely never even been here.

Any fears of being bored are completely unfounded. I'd vote for Midtown or East Sac as the place to live. Both are pretty safe. Your commute to UCDMC would be easy (comically easy compared to LA commuting). In Midtown especially, lots of nightlife, sports leagues, arts events, music venues, hip coffee shops, etc where you can meet other singles. Around town you have the American River (super fun easy rafting), River Cats baseball, Kings basketball, FC Republic soccer. UC Davis is 15 min away...cool college town with lots of events. And if you get bored of that, remember, you're an 1hour30min from Berkeley, SF, Tahoe, Napa yada yada yada. That's less than a commute from Santa Monica to Downtown LA on some days!

Yes, there are some hipsters in Midtown...would not consider them "semi-ghetto". Not sure what you mean by that. For reference, Berkeley (where you went to school) is far more ghetto/rundown/unsafe than anywhere in East Sac or Midtown.

Sacramento carries a more laid back NorCal vibe, similar to the Bay Area. Don't expect to impress people with plastic surgery, bimmers, Lakers fandom, etc. That's a West LA thing.

Craigslist is good for rentals, but I'd also recommend scoping things out on foot. Plenty of "for rent" signs up that don't get posted to Craigs.

Welcome to Sacramento!
fbt263, I agree your post is spot on!

Sponsor83, From our prior discussions, you can see fbt263 has backed-up everything I've already said.

My partner and I live in Tahoe Park and we have a inexpensive apt. in Midtown that we use here and there and on weekends; its a one bed, one bath. Which month will you be moving here?

Old 07-03-2014, 07:09 PM

6,885 posts, read 8,263,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalLover View Post
I wouldn't suggest Davis for the OP, they'll be very isolated there on top of having to commute. Almost anyone OP's age living in Davis will be in some way affiliated with UC Davis or be married with kids. Midtown or somewhere close to it would be your best bet, OP.
I agree with you about Davis, but I thought I would throw it out there, cuz the OP mentioned SAFE, EDUCATED, YOUNG Professionals. Although most of these would be coupled with kids.

And the younger college set at Davis is STILL kind of Non-Sacramento focused, much of them are Bay Area and SoCal transplants and/or international students looking to go back from where they came from. It seems only students from the larger Sacramento Area up to the Oregon border, intend to stay in the area.

Last edited by Chimérique; 07-03-2014 at 08:08 PM..

Old 07-05-2014, 07:29 AM

256 posts, read 367,307 times
Parking is not remotely difficult in the parts of midtown north of about G Street -- no parking restrictions and although I have never had off-street parking, the furthest away I've ever had to park is right around the corner. Even where there are parking restrictions, it's just not that bad, not compared to other cities. I would take parking off your list of things to worry about unless you are moving within two blocks of nightclubs. (Even then, my parents lived on I Street by Marshall Park for a while and parking was not a problem even that close to clubs.)

Old 07-05-2014, 07:11 PM

22 posts, read 40,845 times
@chimerique

My start date got postponed so actually not till next spring as it stands now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento