Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 12:45 PM

2 posts, read 4,975 times

Advertisements

Hello

I have been trying to find more information on arden arcade having lived here for a couple of years I have seen some changes and was wondering if anybody could give me details on things such as the management of the area, politics, crime issues etc as I have noticed a steady decline in the area that I think could have easily been prevented.

In the past 20 years my neighborhhod has transformed from a quiet aged 50s suburb with nice friendly old people to a near ghetto, complete with Wal mart, dollar store, and Goodwill and fast food on every corner.
I have had a gang banger pull an uzi on me four houses down from me, I constantly see hustlers and yesterday witnessed what I can not doubt was a prostition sale in front of the del taco where bums constantly hang out.

For mercy, there is even a bearded lady wandering around here.

I have seen neighborhood meeting signs but was unable to attend, but gathering from neighbors, they were attempting to do something about the numerous massage parlours in the area.

recently though, what really seemed to irritate me was the mismanagemnt of the mall, country club. Depreciating and deteriorating, what a waste and the new sale?
they want to put hardware stores, grocery stores, and drug stores.
there is a hardware store across the street (Emigh) with a home depot not too far away
there is a walmart across the street, Raleys further down the street and the other grocery store (fresh and easy) failed, also there is another walmart grocery store down marcconi.
Drugs.....just about every corner on Watt ave

and the section 8 housing....do they even do background checks on these people?
I'm tired of having the helicopter search light illuminate my room every night with the sheriffs driving down my street with their lights off. It seems as if most of these people already have a know how in doing what they do.
I wouldn't mind the housing if they actually put people who needed it in there instead of all this riff raff that blights the area.

Walking around me neighborhood for years, I gather that most of the people living in there are aged and somewhat senile which I think translates into less ambition to get involved and more motivation for those in control to take advantage.

where is the money going? this area could have used its resources better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 02:07 PM

660 posts, read 1,075,592 times
Basically Arden-Arcade is an unclaimed neighborhood of Sacramento that's not actually in the City of Sacramento. You guys are in the County and receive County services as a result. Sherriff's department polices. Metro Fire etc etc. the problem with that is that Sac County Sheriff also has more than 500,000 other people in the rest of the county to police. And the county has all those other people to take cafe of elsewhere. So what is happenning is that we're seeing the decline of Arden-Arcadd due to the lack of services in the area catching up to it. It has happened in many other unincorporated communities of Sacramento over the years that used to be nice, and it can happen in Arden-Arcade too.

A couple of years back, Arden-Arcade voted against incorporation. I think that was a good idea. That place is not its own city, never has been and never will be. It's an un-annexed neighborhood of Sacramento. The way to fix that is to join the City of Sacramento, IMO. I think that would serve Arden-Arcade much better than they're being served now.

As far as the crime goes there has always been some crime out there. In the late 70s you had 2 different serial killers that lived in your neighborhood at the same time, one of them was right by you at the corner if Marconi and Watt. He was walking door to door and killing people at random and doing other horrible things afterwards. So it's not like the area was always super quiet and squeaky clean.

But I do sympathize, coming from an are in South Sacramento that's seen a fate similar to Arden-Arcade, only more advanced. Letting these un-city communities sit and rot for decades doesn't help anybody.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:29 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,234,326 times
The county of Sacramento is the worst governed entity in the history of the world, and is also the largest unincorporated area in the united states (ok, except LA, but as a percentage, we are still the biggest).

I think I at point (about a decade or two ago?) there were 300k people in city limits and 800k people in the unincorporated county. Ridiculous.

I have made many threads about how stupid the unincorporated government is so I won't repeat myself, but I'll just say a large part of the crappy planning and lack of services is solely due to the nature of the unincorporated nature of such a large urbanized area (both in population and land area).

There should be a 5-10 year plan to complete dissolve the county government, give the neighborhoods an option to incorporate or be annexed by nearby communities, with a maximum sq footage of area.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:34 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,416,573 times
I grew up in Arden Manor and I'm saddened how it looks now. I tried to go back to my old neighborhood park and it was all gangbangers and pit bulls.

I hate that for every "normal" store that closed a massage parlor, check cashing place or Goodwill opened in its place.

I wish at least the people there now would at least care enough to throw their garbage away. I said that in a post here a while back and someone jumped in and said it was because they were poor. No, it's because they don't care.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:36 PM

660 posts, read 1,075,592 times
Well, Majin, I don't completely agree with that either. There are large sections of Sacramento County that are highly rural that have no need to be part of a city. Those are the areas Sac County SHOULD be servicing, not Arden-Arcade and South Sacramento that have nearly 100,000 people apiece.

Wilton has no business being a city. Or most of the Delta and everything in between.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeJeH View Post
Well, Majin, I don't completely agree with that either. There are large sections of Sacramento County that are highly rural that have no need to be part of a city. Those are the areas Sac County SHOULD be servicing, not Arden-Arcade and South Sacramento that have nearly 100,000 people apiece.

Wilton has no business being a city. Or most of the Delta and everything in between.
Just let SJ/Amador/Placer/whatever county or something have those places. The Sacramento county lines don't need to be as big as they are anyway. Lets some how carve out Rio Linda as outside of county lines too.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:00 PM

The Sacramento county lines should be the following:

West - Sacramento River
South - Fruitridge Rd
East - Howe Ave
North - 99/I5 split with a carve out for SMF

Old 07-10-2014, 03:24 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,779,144 times
This thread has gone up before.

There was an incorporation drive for Arden Arcade, which failed in the face of the insipid slogan "Stay Sacramento!", because Arden Arcade never has been in the City of Sacramento proper.

As a disclaimer, I worked on the Arden Arcade incorporation campaign and was a booster.

Frankly, it *would* make good financial sense for the City of Sacramento to annex Arden Arcade, with its two malls and auto row revenue. Even groups like the Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association, normally hostile to forming any new governments, gave their blessing to a proposed City of Arden Arcade for that reason.

Arden Arcade had a chance in 2010 to make their own destiny and improve themselves like Citrus Heights (voted to incorporate 1996) or Rancho Cordova (voted to incorporate 2002). Even if the Arden Arcadians subsequently made big mistakes in such an alternate universe, they would *still* improve their lot, just as the citizens of Elk Grove (voted to incorporate 2000) did. But sadly, too many allowed themselves to be frightened away from the opportunity.

Sadly, it wasn't just the Leftist fools who voted down Arden Arcade's potentially bright future. There were a lot of otherwise Right-thinking people who bought into the slogan that "less government means less government", forgetting that *more local* government is ultimately less government.

The Arden Arcadians could be annexed by Sacramento proper, and then they can be lorded over by the Lexus Liberals of Land Park and/or the "Fabulous Forties". Then again, the Lexus Libs would reason that annexing the Arden Arcadians might bring in too many of the "less government" conservative voters that would upset their liberal fiefdom. So instead, they will leave Arden Arcade to rot in its unincorporated County status, as Arden Arcade slowly becomes more and more run-down like North Highlands.

Either way, Arden Arcade really missed an opportunity to create a vibrant thriving community.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:24 PM

6,418 posts, read 11,542,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeJeH View Post
...As far as the crime goes there has always been some crime out there. In the late 70s you had 2 different serial killers that lived in your neighborhood at the same time, one of them was right by you at the corner if Marconi and Watt. He was walking door to door and killing people at random and doing other horrible things afterwards. So it's not like the area was always super quiet and squeaky clean.

I lived there in the early 80's and was not aware of any crime in that neighborhood. I worked for the county sheriff's during those years, and didn't hear anything about crime there from work, either. I'm not saying it wasn't there at all, but it was quite low-level. I'm sad to hear of the apparent decline of Arden-Arcade.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:32 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,779,144 times
The city of Sacramento has studied annexing Arden Arcade:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...70810081,d.cGU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento