Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 02:31 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,340,086 times

Advertisements

Chimerique: why do you keep giving the weather reports of various cities at 11:30pm or whatever? What about at 5pm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 03:13 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
Chimerique: why do you keep giving the weather reports of various cities at 11:30pm or whatever? What about at 5pm?
How about 6:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. for the workers/commuters, 11:30 a.m. for the lunch brigade and hourly on the weekends from 7:00 a.m. through 7:00 p.m.; later in the summer?

Old 07-23-2014, 03:18 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,860,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
No I am not kidding. Your statement is Completely FALSE and mis-leading.

SF is by far more humid than Sacramento. SF is directly on the ocean and gets a constant daily, hourly occurance of humid air, all year long.

The North coast is by far more humid than Sacramento from Marin to the Oregon Border.

Calling Sacramento humid/muggy is completely ignoring all actual weather data.

98% of the time when it's humid in Sacramento it's a good thing because the dew point is low and it feels cooler and more comfortable. Good example of that was last night.

Generally, the higher the temp is in Sacramento, the dryer it is.
Whoa, whoa! SF gets COOL air off the ocean. Sac is inland, away from the cooling influence of the ocean air and the fog. It gets friggin' hot there, sorry, but that's how I call it. Wait, and you just said the humidity is a good thing? So you acknowledge it's humid?

It's all relative. Maybe you're used to it. But to people who are used to the coastal environment, or the fog in parts of the East Bay, summers in Sac are hard to take.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:33 PM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times
Quote:
Be careful what you ask for?

Old 07-23-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
How about 6:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. for the workers/commuters, 11:30 a.m. for the lunch brigade and hourly on the weekends from 7:00 a.m. through 7:00 p.m.; later in the summer?
I usually post as much AM hours to show that Sacramento actually is as cool and comfortable as I say it is.
Same with night time hours from 8pm to 2am at night, again, to show how cool and comfortable Sacramento really is especially compared to places OTHER THAN Coastal California.

Why do I do that? Because if you only look at the high temperature for Sacramento you would never know how comfortable it was for a good part of the day. This is more often the case with Sacramento, cool and comfortable temps that never get reported or emphasized.

If Sacramento, did not cool as much as it does like places where the dew point stays pretty high all hours of the night or morning, places such as the midwest, the south, Texas and Florida. Or, if Sacramento stayed in the 70's, 80's 90's at night and morning hours, rather Sacramento cools into the low 60's and 50's most of the time in the Summer with comfortable dew points in the mid 50's. Much of the USA's larger urban areas to do not cool that much in the summer.

I guess you guys simply ignore what i'm posting and/or you don't compare Sacramento with the other cities posted.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
Whoa, whoa! SF gets COOL air off the ocean. Sac is inland, away from the cooling influence of the ocean air and the fog. It gets friggin' hot there, sorry, but that's how I call it. Wait, and you just said the humidity is a good thing? So you acknowledge it's humid?

It's all relative. Maybe you're used to it. But to people who are used to the coastal environment, or the fog in parts of the East Bay, summers in Sac are hard to take.
Your line of thinking is exactly why I created my weather thread for Sacramento. I suggest you read it carefully.

Thanks to the cool air off the coast of NorCal, Sacramento is consistenly, regularly cooled by it. It's called the DELTA BREEZE, and it is often a strong wind that is very cool and it directly cools Sacramento in the Summer.

Sacramento is not humid nor muggy compared to most of the USA.

Last edited by Chimérique; 07-23-2014 at 08:50 PM..

Old 07-23-2014, 08:36 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
I usually post as much AM hours to show that Sacramento actually is as cool and comfortable as I say it is.
Same with night time hours from 8pm to 2am at night, again, to show how cool and comfortable Sacramento really is especially compared to places OTHER THAN Coastal California.

Why do I do that? Because if you only look at the high temperature for Sacramento you would never know how comfortable it was for a good part of the day. This is more often the case with Sacramento, cool and comfortable temps that never get reported or emphasized.

If Sacramento, did not cool as much as it does like places where the dew point stays pretty high all hours of the night or morning, places such as the midwest, the south, Texas and Florida. Or, if Sacramento stayed in the 70's, 80's 90's at night and morning hours, rather Sacramento cools into the low 60's and 50's most of the time in the Summer with comfortable dew points in the mid 50's. Much of the USA's larger urban areas to do not cool that much in the summer.

I guess you guys simply ignore what i'm posting and/or you don't compare Sacramento with the other cities posted.
LOL! Anyone who has actually lived in Sacramento knows the summer nights and early morning temperatures are relatively cool and comfortable and in the evening, when they blow, the delta breezes cool things off. They also know that the days can be blistering hot (90°+) although they don't stay that way continuously. Smart ones walk on the shady side of the street.

In the winter it can get cold and in normal years - not drought - rain and wind can soak you in a hot minute because the latter can make the former drive in horizontally. Why, you might even get five minutes of snow. Specified streets downtown will flood at intersections and somewhat beyond because fallen leaves have clogged storm drains.

All-in-all, half the "fun" of living there.

What I like to say about where we now live is that when it comes to weather, we serve excitement.

Oh yeah! When it comes to Texas, anywhere in Texas, I couldn't care less what the temperatures and all are. I took basic training there in the summer of 1966 and was stationed there again from 1976 through 1978. Disliked it both times.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
5pm tends to be the high temp for the day, you can look that up yourself pretty easily.

It takes a lot more work to know what the temp was at 9am or Noon, or 9 at night for example. So I'm doing it for you.

If Sacramento did not cool as much as it does in the evening, night and morning hours I would not be posting but it does and I'm showing how much cooler and comfortable Sacramento is compared to many other cities.

I do post the high temps for the day too on occasion. More often than not when you factor in the heat index and dew points, Sacramento is as cool or cooler than many other cities across the USA, and always cooler than the desert southwest. And you would not really know that because the high temp does not show what the "heat index" temp was for the day. And more often than not, Sacramento's heat index temp is cooler than the actual high temp for the day.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:32 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
Visited Los Angeles this week, and it is a lot more humid than Sacramento! Temperatures are in the 80s but it doesn't drop much at night and still feels muggy. A 90+ degree in Sacramento feels cooler in the shade because it's dry, and nights are a lot more comfortable because the temperature drops lower thanks to the lower humidity!

I still think people who claim Sacramento is humid are those who think "humid" is another word for "very hot." They don't actually know what humidity is.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:30 PM

306 posts, read 603,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Visited Los Angeles this week, and it is a lot more humid than Sacramento! Temperatures are in the 80s but it doesn't drop much at night and still feels muggy. A 90+ degree in Sacramento feels cooler in the shade because it's dry, and nights are a lot more comfortable because the temperature drops lower thanks to the lower humidity!

I still think people who claim Sacramento is humid are those who think "humid" is another word for "very hot." They don't actually know what humidity is.
I don't see how Sacramento has a "delta breeze" but isn't humid. If the breeze originates in the ocean then it has to be moisture laden air. It may not be as humid as the coast but its more humid than points south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento