Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 02:52 PM

2 posts, read 5,974 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering moving to Folsom and are a bit concerned about the hot weather. Though we are a bit spoiled with great weather here we are attracted to the area's great schools, affordable housing (for us at least) and safe neighborhoods. What we are concerned with is the hot weather in the summer. I've done research and read that some areas of Fair oaks get the delta breeze, and am wondering if there are any areas/nieghborhoods of Folsom that benefit from this as well? I'm also planning a trip out there soon and want to check out housing, we'd love mature landscaping, big trees, ect. any neighborhoods that have this?
Also, how long does it take in non-commute hours to get to sacramento? Though we will be working in folsom there are some recreational activities in Sac for the kids we'd like to take them to 2-3 times a week, again mostly during non-commute hours. Hows the traffic during this time?
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 09:20 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,262,190 times
No

Old 07-26-2014, 11:15 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,841,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu12013 View Post
What we are concerned with is the hot weather in the summer. I've done research and read that some areas of Fair oaks get the delta breeze, and am wondering if there are any areas/nieghborhoods of Folsom that benefit from this as well?
Yes, we get the delta breeze occasionally.
The suburbs of Sacramento, including Folsom, run on average 3-7 degrees hotter than Sacramento.
Right now (10 pm), it's 83 in Sacramento & 86 in Folsom.

Quote:
we'd love mature landscaping, big trees, ect. any neighborhoods that have this?
Check out American River Canyon. It is cross the American river & further away from the freeway, but it typically get more of a breeze. Other neighborhoods with mature landscaping & trees would include Willow Creek, Briggs Ranch, Lexington Hills. I'm sure there are others, but it's had to make a recommendation without knowing your budget.

Quote:
Also, how long does it take in non-commute hours to get to sacramento? Though we will be working in folsom there are some recreational activities in Sac for the kids we'd like to take them to 2-3 times a week, again mostly during non-commute hours. Hows the traffic during this time?
The carpool lanes open to all traffic from 10 am to I think 4 pm. It takes 20-30 minutes depending on speed and your destination.

Last edited by caligirlz; 07-26-2014 at 11:57 PM..

Old 07-26-2014, 11:27 PM

168 posts, read 240,843 times
For the next 5-6 days we got a massive heat wave going on. So if you are curious how hot it can get, its a good time to come visit. Sacramento is 25% closer to the Golden Gate Bridge than Folsom, so there will be a noticeable difference.

Also the hills around Folsom disrupt some of the air flow as well.

Right now at 22:25 the current conditions are:

Folsom: 83
Sacramento Midtown: 77
Sac Pocket area: 75
Rocklin/Roseville:87 (where I am at, the hottest place! woo hop)

I am going to be relocating to the Sac Land Park area eventually. Homes are still $700K, but a lot cheaper than the bay

Old 07-26-2014, 11:55 PM

The other thing happening right now is the Sand Fire up near Plymouth. The smoke will affect Sacramento, but Folsom more so, as it is closer.

Quote:
Sacramento-area residents will see a worsening of their air quality this evening due to the effects of the Sand fire that has burned more than 4,000 acres in El Dorado and Amador counties.

For those that have issues with worsening air quality the key will be closing windows, Peterson said.
“People in places like Plymouth and Ione, that are near the fire, they may want to begin to closing their windows in the evening,” Peterson said. “For people in the Sacramento area, they need to close windows before they go to bed at night.”

“It’s deceiving in that during the evening people think the air quality might seem better, but the problem is that smoke descends at that time, and that is when it will move into the valley,” he said.

If people decide to run air conditioning units at night, “they should make sure they are recirculating the air from inside and not pulling in any air from outside,” Peterson said. “If they do not have that option, then it might be best to turn their air conditioning off at night.

Sand fire to cause air quality to worsen today, Sunday - Fires - The Sacramento Bee

Old 07-27-2014, 07:41 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,188,592 times
We lived on American River Canyon Dr and got the delta breeze regularly as we were up at the top of the hill. We opened up all the doors on the front of the house and cooled the house off nightly. Whether that has changed because of the drought and lower river levels, I don't know. That was a feature we loved about that house.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncsmomndad View Post
We lived on American River Canyon Dr and got the delta breeze regularly as we were up at the top of the hill. We opened up all the doors on the front of the house and cooled the house off nightly. Whether that has changed because of the drought and lower river levels, I don't know. That was a feature we loved about that house.
Thanks for confirming what my friends who live over there say....

Old 07-27-2014, 01:41 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,188,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
Thanks for confirming what my friends who live over there say....
You're welcome! We especially loved opening the french doors in our master and listening to the sound of the water being released from the dam. The cooling breeze at night is definitely something we miss out here in NC!

Old 07-27-2014, 01:46 PM

14 posts, read 35,486 times
It is not only the distance from the ocean that affects the Delta breeze in the eastern communities. The Delta breeza slows down as it passes through the city of Sacramento. All the buildings, trees, traffic, etc slow it considerably. All the hill tops overlooking the city in Folsom and EDH still get considerable breeze due to no obstructing force slowing it. The wind stops on hitting these hilltops in Folsom (eg Carpeter hill) and EDH (eg Kalithea park). The homes on the lower elevations in Folsom and EDH are hence considerably warmer. Also, the farther away you are from the American river, the less wind you get! That is why, Roseville and Rocklin are typically warmer than Folsom and EDH. Sac proper is the coolest due to direct breeze, two rivers and the canopy of trees in the city. California is a land of microclimates indeed!

Old 07-27-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncsmomndad View Post
You're welcome! We especially loved opening the french doors in our master and listening to the sound of the water being released from the dam. The cooling breeze at night is definitely something we miss out here in NC!
I live in upper Broadstone at the base of Carpenter Hill, and we rarely get the breeze. But I have an energy efficient house and my electric bill is really low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento