U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 08:34 PM

12 posts, read 11,845 times

Advertisements

I'm a newly single mom, with a teenage daughter, looking to move to Sacramento area. No idea about this area, but mostly want to know the areas to NOT move to. I'd like to be close enough to big businesses, hospitals etc. for work, close to a good school, out of crime areas and run down areas. I'd also like to be near culture, shopping, restaurants etc. with not too big of a commute (30 min?) Any advice is really appreciated. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 08:49 PM

Default ...

Also, I'm looking to rent, apt, townhouse, duplex, house. My budget will be in the $1000-1200/mo range.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:15 AM

1,917 posts, read 2,203,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jc79movinforward View Post
I'm a newly single mom, with a teenage daughter, looking to move to Sacramento area. No idea about this area, but mostly want to know the areas to NOT move to. I'd like to be close enough to big businesses, hospitals etc. for work, close to a good school, out of crime areas and run down areas. I'd also like to be near culture, shopping, restaurants etc. with not too big of a commute (30 min?) Any advice is really appreciated. Thanks!
Well, I would have to know where you are going to be working, but since you have a daughter, I can pretty much tell you where to live and where NOT to live, in terms of her public schooling.
Public Schools: Choice
--Roseville
--Rocklin
--Folsom
--El Dorado Hills

Public Schools: Atrocious
--Most of Sacramento City proper
--North Highlands
--Florin
--Fruitridge

Hospitals, you say? Are you working in Nursing?

Old 08-18-2014, 02:35 PM

Thanks for the schools info, that seems to be what I'm finding too. I will be working as a Speech pathologist, and the hospitals may be a place I look into for that...most likely a skilled nursing facility. Median salary for Speech therapists in the area is around $90k, although as I'm starting out it will be lower for me. Having a short time frame to move in, and being too far away to look, I'm trying to hone in on the best area I can with the time and info I have. I'd love to bring my daughter to an area that is not too conservative, forward thinking, has some culture, somewhere where shopping and coffee shops/good food are nearby, streets are safe with families that may have teens in the neighborhood. I love the sounds of Folsom, but am wondering if this is a welcoming, open-minded area, or, if due to our current situation (single mom, lower income than some here), we'll be dealing with pretentious attitudes.
Orangevale is out due to the drug problem I'm hearing about.
Roseville, may be ok, from the looks of pictures I'm seeing it looks rather boring for my taste , I'm sure it's great for others, sorry no offense intended. The streets look a little bare, landscape seems not quite as nice as Folsom, I may be wrong, very possible.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the schools info, that seems to be what I'm finding too. I will be working as a Speech pathologist, and the hospitals may be a place I look into for that...most likely a skilled nursing facility. Median salary for Speech therapists in the area is around $90k, although as I'm starting out it will be lower for me. Having a short time frame to move in, and being too far away to look, I'm trying to hone in on the best area I can with the time and info I have. I'd love to bring my daughter to that may have teens in the neighborhood. I love the sounds of Folsom, but am wondering if this is a welcoming, open-minded area, or, if due to our current situation (single mom, lower income than some here), we'll be dealing with pretentious attitudes.

Orangevale is out due to the drug problem I'm hearing about.

Roseville, may be ok, from the looks of pictures I'm seeing it looks rather boring for my taste , I'm sure it's great for others, sorry no offense intended. The streets look a little bare, landscape seems not quite as nice as Folsom, I may be wrong, very possible.
Well, make your pick. You can't have both "an area that is not too conservative," and "somewhere where streets are safe with families".

If you are looking at the Orangevale area but don't like it, you might try neighboring Citrus Heights, which is better than it once was and certainly better than Orangevale due to incorporation.

PS--if you really need to hurry, I know a 2bdrm 2ba duplex unit near Greenback and Sunrise that should be available September 1. $1,000.00 per month

Last edited by NickB1967; 08-18-2014 at 03:55 PM..

Old 08-18-2014, 04:02 PM

256 posts, read 297,921 times
Oh give me a break. Not everyone shares your values, NickB1967: I wouldn't send my kids to school in Roseville or Rocklin or Folsom on a bet. To me, "open minded" = "family-friendly," not the opposite.

Contrary to Nick's comments, there are some excellent schools in Sac City, but the high school situation is not great. (We do have a couple of excellent middle schools if your daughter is younger.) You might take a look at East Sacramento just to see if it appeals to you? )See other threads on this site.) If that's the kind of area that appeals, we can probably help you find something you can afford and point you to school options.

(Welcome to Sacramento!)

Old 08-18-2014, 05:21 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,308,866 times
Agreed with xeney. Nick paints a very dichotomous picture of the area that is not quite a black and white as he makes it out to be. The commute really depends on where you're working. Though schools may be more consistent, the suburbs do tend to limit you on the types of things you may be interested in (without driving a long ways), and they also may limit you somewhat on housing options, since you're just two people. That said, that budget might be a little bit of stretch in the most desirable areas but your flexibility in housing does give you more options. It's a pretty big region, so I think it would be really helpful to know where you're going to work, and from there, you can probably make the budget, the schools and the lifestyle work out.

Good luck on your search!

Old 08-18-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeney View Post
Oh give me a break. Not everyone shares your values, NickB1967: I wouldn't send my kids to school in Roseville or Rocklin or Folsom on a bet. To me, "open minded" = "family-friendly," not the opposite.
Snicker. You "open-minded" ones cling to the most dogmatic of dogmas. Where do you think "politically correct" came from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeney View Post
Contrary to Nick's comments, there are some excellent schools in Sac City, but the high school situation is not great. (We do have a couple of excellent middle schools if your daughter is younger.) You might take a look at East Sacramento just to see if it appeals to you? )See other threads on this site.) If that's the kind of area that appeals, we can probably help you find something you can afford and point you to school options.

(Welcome to Sacramento!)
Gee Xeney, could there be tolerable grade schools but not high schools because teachers can still discipline the smaller kids there and not the larger ones?

Mind you, this woman is *renting*, and has a teenage daughter, not a moppet. If she could afford private schooling, she'd be buying a place. Hence my suggestions for further out.

Antelope has Roseville school districting, so that might be a cheaper option for her, too.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:12 PM

5,101 posts, read 8,333,908 times
Quote:
I will be working as a Speech pathologist, and the hospitals may be a place I look into for that...most likely a skilled nursing facility. Median salary for Speech therapists in the area is around $90k, although as I'm starting out it will be lower for me. Having a short time frame to move in, and being too far away to look, I'm trying to hone in on the best area I can with the time and info I have.
OP, do you have a job yet? I don't think the economy here has improved to the point that jobs are readily available. It may be wiser to apply & get an offer, before moving.

Or, I know that many SNF's use contracted/traveller therapists, so you may want to look into that.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:22 PM

5,101 posts, read 8,333,908 times
Quote:
I'd love to bring my daughter to an area that is not too conservative, forward thinking, has some culture, somewhere where shopping and coffee shops/good food are nearby, streets are safe with families that may have teens in the neighborhood.
Perhaps midtown would be better for you. Rent is cheap. It's a walkable community. It's the city core, so there's a lot of things happening down there...if you want to be close to the action.

I love the sounds of Folsom, but am wondering if this is a welcoming, open-minded area, or, if due to our current situation (single mom, lower income than some here), we'll be dealing with pretentious attitudes.
LOL, everyone is Folsom is a pretenious asshat. No singles allowed. Seriously

Orangevale is out due to the drug problem I'm hearing about. ???? Not any worse than anywhere else. Certainly not worse than South Sac or NoHigh.

Very curious as to what areas in Roseville you are looking because only the newer subdivisions would have bare landscape.
It would probably be a better idea for you to visit than base your decisions on rumors & generalities. There are pretentious people, drug problems, boring landscape, etc, etc in every community here.

So what exactly are your tastes if Roseville is too boring & Folsom appears desirable. Why the one, but not the other?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or