U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2014, 10:26 PM

216 posts, read 523,105 times

Advertisements

Possibly moving to Sacramento for work and curious to know, having never been there, if this is a decent area to live (giving me a very short commute) or if it's more middle-of-nowhere. I'd prefer to live somewhere with walkable things, since I'm currently in Phoenix and feel like I can walk to most of what I need.

A quick search online brings up Adagio Apartments which look pretty nice, but I have no idea what else is nearby. How far from that area would I need to travel for daily living (groceries/etc) and bars/restaurants/activities?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 12:42 AM

5,101 posts, read 8,333,908 times
80 & 5, sounds like South vs North Natomas. If it were me, I'd stay in No Natomas. But, got any other criteria? budget? what is the commute you want? what area is your job located?

Oh, Adagio Apartments, that's So Natomas, but west of 5. I think you should check the crime reports. Unfortunately, CD's Sacramento stats do not have a breakdown for different areas. //www.city-data.com/crime/crime...alifornia.html Check here instead >> http://www.sacpd.org/crime/beats/

Quote:
How far from that area would I need to travel for daily living (groceries/etc) and bars/restaurants/activities?
off Truxel & 80, Truxel & El Camino would be the closest.
Northgate Blvd
Bars midtown or No Natomas

What type of activities are you interested in?

Last edited by caligirlz; 08-21-2014 at 12:59 AM..

Old 08-21-2014, 01:06 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,036,015 times
stay in north natomas. Do not touch south natomas. IT's not THAT BAD, but if you could up your budget, i would highly recommending doing so.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:39 AM

5 posts, read 6,978 times
South Natomas on the west side of I-5 has some nice neighborhoods too. It's the larger east side that's less desirable, but overall it's not a bad area. On the west side, there's a couple of strip malls that are within walking distance as well as Chevy's on the River. Discovery park is also walkable. About 9 years ago, I lived in Harbor Oaks Apartments, after they remodeled, and I liked it. If memory serves, the only undesirable apartment complex there was River Pointe. Adagio was newer at the time and looked really nice, but I never lived there.

In North Natomas, I lived in Miramonte apartments and it is right next door to a huge shopping center with lots of places to eat and not far from another one. There's a huge park across the street with a pond too, but the larger part of the land was unfinished when I lived there. Might still be, I don't know.

You can't go wrong with both North and South-West Natomas.

Edit: That place I lived in North Natomas was walkable to a Raley's grocery store. In South-West Natomas, other than a small quick mart type store within walking distance we had to drive about a mile and a half to get to a Bel-Air.

Last edited by dampania; 08-21-2014 at 11:48 AM..

Old 08-21-2014, 11:43 PM

I'm not really looking for a place based on budget; the place I'll be working is located at the 80/5 interchange (almost right off that intersection to the south) so I'd like to stay as close to it as possible. I have a four mile commute here in Tempe and it has spoiled me for sure. Having never been to the area, though, I'm not interested in living somewhere run down or less than desirable. There's two of us moving there paying a combined $2600/month rent right now, so we can be pretty flexible in terms of finding a place.

I'm a fan of modern, and it seems like most of Sacramento is Victorian-style houses, something else that'll take a lot of getting used to compared to most of the modern Tempe places I've seen/lived in. If I could find a nice open-layout loft style apartment with a balcony/porch and some stainless steel somewhere near work, I'd be happy.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:29 PM

5,101 posts, read 8,333,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeromus-X View Post
I'm a fan of modern, and it seems like most of Sacramento is Victorian-style houses, something else that'll take a lot of getting used to compared to most of the modern Tempe places I've seen/lived in. If I could find a nice open-layout loft style apartment with a balcony/porch and some stainless steel somewhere near work, I'd be happy.
you'll find that in midtown

L Street Lofts, Sacramento Lofts, Urban Living, Midtown
http://www.800jlofts.com/

These are near your targeted neighborhood, but don't look very modern. Apartments for Rent in Sacramento, CA | The Lofts Apartment Homes - Home

Old 08-23-2014, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
The Lofts look decent enough (looks like any complex here in Tempe) but geez, what awful reviews.

L Street Lofts are a possibility, the prices seem incredibly high but I'm guessing that's the cost of living in Midtown? $2,000 for a studio... could do it, but wow. That price will get you a 2BR at 800J! Is there really a huge difference between them to justify paying the same for a 700 sqft place that you'd pay for a 1350 sqft place?

Old 08-23-2014, 11:25 AM

I guess I'll keep everything in one place, too -- would you consider any of these places in a "walkable" area? Only one car, one person working from home but would like to not be stranded.

Old 08-24-2014, 06:28 PM

326 posts, read 561,539 times
If you have only one car and want to live in a fun, walkable neighborhood, you ABSOLUTELY want to be in Midtown. Your driving commute would be just a little over 4 miles, 10-15 minutes.

Midtown is extremely walkable and bikeable. The area around 18th and L has a walk score of 94 and a bike score of 99. You are surrounded by great restaurants, nightlife and shopping, with nary a strip mall to be found. Gorgeous Capitol Park is just three blocks away.

1800 L Street, Sacramento CA - Walk Score

I have seen L Street Lofts a couple times. Many are now being sold again as condos now that the economy is turning around. They are small for what you pay, but the high ceilings, glass walls and contemporary style give them a "wow" factor. They are not very practical if you are partial to at least a wall or two and need a place to hide your clutter, but if you are a minimalist, go for it.

Right across from L Street Lofts is 1801L, a little pricy but more reasonable than L Street Lofts. They are fairly new, modern, and have great amenities (pool, workout room, etc.)

1801L

Also check out the apartments near Fremont Park - another cool area. Here are a couple:

Apartments in Sacramento | Fremont Mews

Apartments in Downtown Sacramento | Legado de Ravel | Apartments in Sacramento Legado De Ravel

800J Lofts is in downtown. Although downtown is really starting to pick up, if I were you I would stick closer to Midtown.

You could also check out craigslist for private condos or houses to rent. While many are older homes, there are some modern places. The first year we lived here, we rented a contemporary, completely remodeled townhouse in Midtown. Don't forget that many historic homes have modern interiors, too, especially in your price range.

I have family and friends in Phoenix. I think you'll like it here. Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or