U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 06:23 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,312,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
Sorry to hear you have that experience here. I shop at Safeway and I always see people I know that stop and chat. No big race, nobody pushing their way through. Every neighborhood is different and every situation is different. I hope you find what you're looking for in the city. I know I did here.
That Safeway is in the older part of EDH, which still has some character. Overall I just feel like the value system here is all out of whack. The brand new high end cars everywhere, the tour de'france outfits everyone wears to do their 1 weekly bikeride, the lack of social interaction at any public event, and the gaits around 50% of the neighborhoods. There us this constant competition for things that mean next to nothing in life. Really, who are the gaits protecting people from, the soccer moms? This place makes me ***, lol. Seriously.

I just viewed a condo in Sac last night and I decided to save a little more. So I guess I am here for another couple months. It is pretty here for sure and well . . . it's pretty lol. I guess I'll focus on that for now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 12:20 AM

289 posts, read 470,101 times
More surprising is Elk Grove at #2 wow. How times have changed. Remember Elk Grove was one of the worst hit areas during the housing slump. I think they had the highest number of foreclosures in the state.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:23 AM

289 posts, read 470,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
You're in EDH, correct? When I first moved to town, my brother warned me about the Folsom/EDH "royalty." I don't seem to notice it as much anymore, except on the road.
I think those attitudes are more in people's head than anything else. For whatever reason if some people visit a more upscale area they just think everyone is looking down on them for some reason. Personally i like Folsom better than EDH but it has nothing to do with any type of snobbish attitude.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webdev View Post
I think those attitudes are more in people's head than anything else. For whatever reason if some people visit a more upscale area they just think everyone is looking down on them for some reason. Personally i like Folsom better than EDH but it has nothing to do with any type of snobbish attitude.
No one here made that claim. There is a general competitiveness in EDH and the social norms are much different than they are just 20 mi away in Sac. The demographic is older. It's more corporate. It's a more affluent area than Sac as a whole. All of these things dramatically effect the local culture.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:26 AM

57 posts, read 192,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post
However, I can't take the culture here any longer. Would be nice to shop at a grocery store where I am not surrounded by people walking as if they're attending the world's most important board meeting in 5 minutes. I've honestly never been around more obnoxious and competitive 40+ yr old people in my entire life. Back to Sac in a month when my lease ends. I'll never live in another upper middle class suberb again.
You should try shopping the WinCo off Blue Ravine. Quite a different culture and my preferred place to shop .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post
Yes, I am in EDH. I haven't noticed much difference in Folsom. Well, "new Folsom" at least. In fact, that Raley's area at Green Valley/Blue Ravine seems to have the highest concentration of type A mid-40s demographic in the entire area. Young and cocky I get, I understand. But when you're in your mid-40's and you're living here, it's not like you've really accomplished something extraordinary in life. These people put out the vibe that they have. Not to dis your town and my soon to be former town(s), but there is just no soul or character here. But if you do like it then yes, you made a great investment by purchasing here.
My wife takes our daughter to many of the libraries and parks in the area - Folsom, EDH, Fair Oaks, Granite Bay - and she has only felt "snobbery" from others in Granite Bay. However, the library and park crowd may be different than the people you are talking about. As for me, I have not felt looked down upon by others in Folsom, but I do not live or hang out in the newer areas.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonh23 View Post
You should try shopping the WinCo off Blue Ravine. Quite a different culture and my preferred place to shop .

My wife takes our daughter to many of the libraries and parks in the area - Folsom, EDH, Fair Oaks, Granite Bay - and she has only felt "snobbery" from others in Granite Bay. However, the library and park crowd may be different than the people you are talking about. As for me, I have not felt looked down upon by others in Folsom, but I do not live or hang out in the newer areas.
Thanks . I have been to that Winco a couple times. It is funny how different some places can be which are not separated by much geography.

I honestly do not feel as though anyone is looking down on me up there. I am educated and I make pretty good money for a single guy, so it would not matter to me even if they were. It's more like I prefer to be around people with a different set of values which are not cemtered around new cars, etc. There are plenty of friendly people up there. I got several "hellos" on my jog this morning. It's just the general vibe that I don't like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or