Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 05:13 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,840,768 times

Advertisements

Folsom named one of the best cities in California for home ownership. And those of us who live here agree!

Looking at housing availability, affordability and growth, Nerdwallet, the consumer advisory and financial analysis company, ran the numbers on 178 California cities to determine which were best for home ownership. It's a very interesting list. The methodolgy is included.

Topping the list was Brentwood, followed by Elk Grove with Folsom coming in 12th. Roseville and Rocklin are in the top 20 as well.
Also in the top 20, Clovis (Fresno) and Visalia in the central San Joaquin Valley.

Folsom actually comes out on top in terms of percentage housing costs to income, at 32.1%.

Best Places for Homeownership in California
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 02:56 AM

199 posts, read 261,020 times
Wow, there are some surprises on that list. I would have never thought Brentwood was a #1. I have spent much time there over the last several years and it just didn't strike me as a #1. Quite the eye opener.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:12 PM

The criteria is different than the typical reviews:

Quote:
1. Are homes available? We looked at an area’s homeownership rate to determine the availability of homes. A low homeownership rate is likely a signal of competitive inventory, more options for renters rather than buyers and expensive housing. Areas with a high homeownership rate led to a higher overall score.

2. Can you afford to live there? We looked at median household income, monthly homeowner costs and median home value to assess affordability and determine whether residents could live comfortably in the area. We used monthly homeowner costs to measure cost of living. Areas with high median incomes and low cost of living scored higher.

3. Is the area growing? We measured population growth to ensure that the area is attracting new residents and showing signs of solid growth. This is likely a signal of a robust local economy, which is another attractive characteristic for homebuyers.

The methodology is included at the end of the report.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:34 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,572,418 times
It fits all the criteria. Beautiful homes, excellent nature, historically stable market, great schools. Good place to own a home. I was seriously planning on buying here before I moved here.

However, I can't take the culture here any longer. Would be nice to shop at a grocery store where I am not surrounded by people walking as if they're attending the world's most important board meeting in 5 minutes. I've honestly never been around more obnoxious and competitive 40+ yr old people in my entire life. Back to Sac in a month when my lease ends. I'll never live in another upper middle class suberb again.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post
However, I can't take the culture here any longer. Would be nice to shop at a grocery store where I am not surrounded by people walking as if they're attending the world's most important board meeting in 5 minutes. I've honestly never been around more obnoxious and competitive 40+ yr old people in my entire life. Back to Sac in a month when my lease ends. I'll never live in another upper middle class suberb again.
You're in EDH, correct? When I first moved to town, my brother warned me about the Folsom/EDH "royalty." I don't seem to notice it as much anymore, except on the road.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
You're in EDH, correct? When I first moved to town, my brother warned me about the Folsom/EDH "royalty." I don't seem to notice it as much anymore, except on the road.
Yes, I am in EDH. I haven't noticed much difference in Folsom. Well, "new Folsom" at least. In fact, that Raley's area at Green Valley/Blue Ravine seems to have the highest concentration of type A mid-40s demographic in the entire area. Young and cocky I get, I understand. But when you're in your mid-40's and you're living here, it's not like you've really accomplished something extraordinary in life. These people put out the vibe that they have. Not to dis your town and my soon to be former town(s), but there is just no soul or character here. But if you do like it then yes, you made a great investment by purchasing here.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:36 AM

When I first moved to Sacto from the central valley, I noticed this attitude, along with no soul/character all over the Sacto region. I do notice an entitlement attitude in Folsom/EDH. And I do notice the posturing of "wealth." It reminds me of high school...some people just never seem to grow up. I think this area has far more positives than negatives, and, it's close to my job, so for me, it's a great place to live.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
When I first moved to Sacto from the central valley, I noticed this attitude, along with no soul/character all over the Sacto region. I do notice an entitlement attitude in Folsom/EDH. And I do notice the posturing of "wealth." It reminds me of high school...some people just never seem to grow up. I think this area has far more positives than negatives, and, it's close to my job, so for me, it's a great place to live.
Folsom and the surrounding area does have a lot of positives. It is beautiful and I love the hones. Let's be honest, there are good and bad things about every area. For me I just do not feel as though I fit here. But I do in Sac. I am bidding on a condo tomorrow in midtown. Some would say why buy a condo when you can own a nice home. But little things lime the victorians, coffee houses and the more open vibe make all the difference in my sense of contentment on a day to day basis

Old 09-01-2014, 07:40 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,997,648 times
Quote:
It fits all the criteria. Beautiful homes, excellent nature, historically stable market, great schools. Good place to own a home. I was seriously planning on buying here before I moved here.

Sorry to hear you have that experience here. I shop at Safeway and I always see people I know that stop and chat. No big race, nobody pushing their way through. Every neighborhood is different and every situation is different. I hope you find what you're looking for in the city. I know I did here.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Folsom and the surrounding area does have a lot of positives. It is beautiful and I love the hones. Let's be honest, there are good and bad things about every area. For me I just do not feel as though I fit here. But I do in Sac. I am bidding on a condo tomorrow in midtown. Some would say why buy a condo when you can own a nice home. But little things lime the victorians, coffee houses and the more open vibe make all the difference in my sense of contentment on a day to day basis
That is true, there are good & bad things in every city, and we each have different tolerance levels.

Good luck on finding an awesome condo in midtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento