Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 07:34 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,879,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post
Of course when you go to a new city you check out the tourist attractions. That's a given. But would you go to Austin to check out some historical landmark? Well you might.
I might and I did. My first 48-hour visit to Austin, I went to the State Capitol, the State Cemetery, the LBJ Library, the UT Tower (made infamous by the mass shooting in 1966), and the William Sidney Porter House, then I drove out to the LBJ Ranch and saw the Johnson graves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 12:49 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,572,418 times
do it
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah62 View Post
I might and I did. My first 48-hour visit to Austin, I went to the State Capitol, the State Cemetery, the LBJ Library, the UT Tower (made infamous by the mass shooting in 1966), and the William Sidney Porter House, then I drove out to the LBJ Ranch and saw the Johnson graves.
That's great. To each their own. But to judge a city based upon those touristy things like SDurbanite did is a bit silly, don't you think? I do some of the tourist stuff too when I visit new places. For instance, when I visited SD I went to Balboa Park, La Jolla and Old Town. Regardless of whether those things lived up to their rep or not, it factored none in my perception or assessment of the overall city.

Btw, none of my friends do any of that stuff. And they travel quite often. For example, when my friend visited Chicago she came back with tons of pictures of architecture, reports about the restaurants and the food. I am more of an "Art Mann" type traveler. I like to see what life is like in these places and have unique experiences. That is what I blog about. There are different views on this and there is no right or wrong way to do it.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:40 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,879,814 times
Quote:
That is what I blog about.
Ah - that explains everything.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:44 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,737,271 times
Quote:
Epic fail. You did all of the touristy stuff (Old Sac, Sutter's Fort, Museum, Capitol) and then went to the places with the least foot traffic. No one goes to downtown/K ST. There is just not much there and yes, a lot of homeless and sketchy people hang out in that area. I am not sure who diected you to walk across the bridge for a view of the city, but again, I could have explained that you'd be in another somewhat sketchy area.
Thanks for backing up what I said earlier...........That there is really nothing noteworthy to see and do in Sacramento besides the Capitol building.

Quote:
When I visited SD, I asked for suggestions and got the same spiel. "Go to Balboa Park, Seaworld, Gaslamp". Ok those things are fine and all, but they got boring real quick. I've been to Balboa Park at least 5 times and the throngs of joggers and frisbee players were greatly exagerated. Lol as in there were almost none on any given day.
You didn't see anyone in Balboa Park? According to the link below, Balboa Park is the 6th most visited city park in the Country. Notice that Mission Bay Park (Also in San Diego is the 4th) And if you wanted to see joggers and people tossing a frisbee, we've got 70 miles of beaches to do that in, along with hiking trails 15 minutes away from downtown.

http://www.inpra.org/assets/document...sitedParks.pdf

Quote:
I could have directed you to cool stuff like Rick's Diner for desert, which is packed out the door every night. Or any of the 20 art galleries in midtown. Or any number of buzzing coffee shops. Or Landpark for a converted restaurant in the old Capitol Records building. On and on and on. You know, actual local stuff h that people actually DO here. It's the local culture that makes any city, right?
You think Rick's is cool?? I walked and drove by there many times while I was in Midtown and I couldn't bring myself to walk into such a cheesy 50's style diner with bad lighting just to grab dessert. If that's the best Sacramento has then it's in worse shape than I thought. I was quite happy with my ice cream from Gunther's.

And I'm suppose to be impressed because an old building was converted into a restaurant? Too funny.

According to you, I could have seen the real Sacramento by hanging out in coffee shops and checking out a few galleries where I'm guaranteed to be the only person in there? No thank you. I can do that anywhere.

Quote:
The thing about SD is people are impressed by big ticket stuff. It's not very walkable in most parts and with that follows a low sense of community. So people want big, flashy events. Lol or the beach. Sac is the polar opposite. It is built from its neighborhoods out. And if you go for the big ticket or touristy stuff, you are bound to be dissapointed. I've lived in this area 8 yrs and been to Old Sac prob 4 times. Given what you fid, I am not surprised by your impression of Sac.
So besides Midtown, where should I have gone to see people on the streets? I walked along J, K, L and R Sts. Did I miss something? Even your fellow posters said that Midtown was it.

Quote:
That's great. To each their own. But to judge a city based upon those touristy things like SDurbanite did is a bit silly, don't you think? I do some of the tourist stuff too when I visit new places. For instance, when I visited SD I went to Balboa Park, La Jolla and Old Town. Regardless of whether those things lived up to their rep or not, it factored none in my perception or assessment of the overall city.

Btw, none of my friends do any of that stuff. And they travel quite often. For example, when my friend visited Chicago she came back with tons of pictures of architecture, reports about the restaurants and the food. I am more of an "Art Mann" type traveler. I like to see what life is like in these places and have unique experiences. That is what I blog about. There are different views on this and there is no right or wrong way to do it.
Doesn't it speaks volumes that the only memorable thing to me about Sacramento was the Capitol tour....And that only lasted an hour. I actually had a pretty hard time finding things to do during the time I was there.

Speaking of travel, you should know I've been to 48 states, including nearly every major city in the Country, as well as 34 different countries. So please don't think that I'm an amateur when it comes to seeking out things to see and do when I'm in a new place.

To be honest, I'm glad I got to check out Sacramento but it's not a place I ever need to visit again. Not saying it was bad, but there's no reason to go back. I said the same thing after visiting Reno, Oklahoma City, Little Rock, Memphis and Birmingham for the first time.

But most importantly, you still blog??? Guess news travels slow to Sacramento.....

New York Times, BuzzFeed, Andrew Sullivan Herald Death of the Blog | New Republic

Why Blogging Is Dead--And What's Next | Fast Company | Business + Innovation

Might also be time to upgrade from that flip phone you're probably still using.

Last edited by sdurbanite; 09-08-2014 at 12:53 AM..

Old 09-08-2014, 10:29 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,840,768 times
Quote:
That is what I blog about.
What's your blog address?

Old 09-08-2014, 02:08 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,279,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Thanks for backing up what I said earlier...........That there is really nothing noteworthy to see and do in Sacramento besides the Capitol building.
If your definition of "noteworthy" is "there are masses of people there" then it's more a matter of when than where. If you wandered around downtown Sacramento during a weekday afternoon, you probably wouldn't see anything fitting that definition of "noteworthy" because there aren't masses of people about anywhere in Sacramento on a typical weekday afternoon. Weekend evenings in certain spots, weekend days when there is some sort of festival, that's another story. But we're not a densely populated city and we don't have attractions that draw throngs of tourists. If you were specifically looking for large crowds, maybe you should have asked for more advice on where to find 'em.

Quote:
You think Rick's is cool?? I walked and drove by there many times while I was in Midtown and I couldn't bring myself to walk into such a cheesy 50's style diner with bad lighting just to grab dessert. If that's the best Sacramento has then it's in worse shape than I thought. I was quite happy with my ice cream from Gunther's.
Rick's recently moved to that location, the cheesy Fifties diner decor is carried over from their old location. Rick's is fun and kind of a local institution, and I visited the old location quite a bit because it was down the street, but it's barely in the top 10 places to visit for sugary treats in the central city and nearby. Gunther's, Vic's, Marie's, Devine Gelateria, Ginger Elizabeth, all have better product. Rick's big plus is that they are open late and they're a fun hangout. If you don't like cheesy Fifties diner decor then it's obviously not going to be your cup of tea. Or slice of cake.

Quote:
And I'm suppose to be impressed because an old building was converted into a restaurant? Too funny.
Depends on the restaurant. I'm kind of wondering where this "Capitol Records building" in Land Park is too--it's news to me. Maybe he was thinking of the Tower Cafe, part of the Tower Theatre complex in a former drugstore where Tower Records got its start? I'm a fan of adaptive reuse wherever I find it, and we have plenty of fun examples of that sort of reuse. Tower Cafe, like Rick's, typically tends to be on many locals' "top ten list" of local places primarily for their endurance than the quality of their food.

Quote:
According to you, I could have seen the real Sacramento by hanging out in coffee shops and checking out a few galleries where I'm guaranteed to be the only person in there? No thank you. I can do that anywhere.
For some people, that's their idea of a good time. When I visit other cities, I typically try to find a good local coffee shop where I can hang out, and check out record stores, bookstores and art galleries when they are uncrowded so I can concentrate on the merchandise without distractions.

Quote:
So besides Midtown, where should I have gone to see people on the streets? I walked along J, K, L and R Sts. Did I miss something? Even your fellow posters said that Midtown was it.
As mentioned above, if what you were looking for was people on the streets, it's more a matter of "when" than "where"--and mid-afternoon on a weekday, or even most weekday evenings, isn't a particularly good time for crowd-watching in Sacramento's central city. And no, there aren't crowds anywhere else to go look at, unless there's a game on at Raley Field or the new soccer stadium. When the soccer team started earlier this year they were playing games at a local community college and selling out the 20,000 person capacity.

Quote:
Doesn't it speaks volumes that the only memorable thing to me about Sacramento was the Capitol tour....And that only lasted an hour. I actually had a pretty hard time finding things to do during the time I was there.

Speaking of travel, you should know I've been to 48 states, including nearly every major city in the Country, as well as 34 different countries. So please don't think that I'm an amateur when it comes to seeking out things to see and do when I'm in a new place.

To be honest, I'm glad I got to check out Sacramento but it's not a place I ever need to visit again. Not saying it was bad, but there's no reason to go back. I said the same thing after visiting Reno, Oklahoma City, Little Rock, Memphis and Birmingham for the first time.

But most importantly, you still blog??? Guess news travels slow to Sacramento.....

New York Times, BuzzFeed, Andrew Sullivan Herald Death of the Blog | New Republic

Why Blogging Is Dead--And What's Next | Fast Company | Business + Innovation

Might also be time to upgrade from that flip phone you're probably still using.
Kind of a cheap shot there, in fact several. I retired my own blog in 2009 to write for a local magazine and a hyperlocal news site, but those business models have kind of foundered too. But people tend to call those (and this site) "blogs" because it's the only word they know for online forums, even if the archetypal "blog" is kind of becoming the Geocities page of the early 2010s.

For some folks, Sacramento's generally laid-back vibe is part of the appeal. Not everyone likes big crowds, some only on occasion. I consider Sacramento a city of festivals--generally it's quiet, but when it's time to throw a party we do a pretty good job, a fact that many people tend to miss if they showed up in between festivals. Sounds like that's what you did, and it's not the best way to get an honest assessment of the city. If you ever decide that you must, against your better judgment, return to Sacramento in the near future, please follow up here and folks here can try to point you toward whatever large gatherings are going on that weekend (because, ideally, you'll be here on the weekend when the interesting stuff is more likely happening.)

Old 09-08-2014, 06:22 PM

SDurbanite;

Actually you cannot do those things anywhere. Your hometown is one example of such a place. Took me a good hour to find anything other than a Starbucks and I found ONE local art gallery. I searched long and hard for local events in SD. I spoke with locals. Picked up local papers like city beat. Drove around and scoured neighborhoods. I found nothing but chain stores outdide of Hillcrest/North Park. I understand my interests are not yours, but good god dude you didn't even try to get to know Sac. At least I gave SD several fair shakes before I formed my overall opinion.

Honestly, what were you expecting to see when you came here?? Did you really take a trip thinking you'd be blown away by a state Capitol building, or Old Sac? As state Capitol buildings and historical areas good, both places measure up. But they are not going to fill up an entire day and keep you entertained.

So what DID you want to see?

Your post is the equivalent of me visiting Seattle and reporting that the Space Needle is unspactacular (didn't wow me), the energy in Pike Place is blah, Pioneer Square is filled with bums and he Seattle Aquarium was not on par with SF's. All are actually true in my opinion, but because I explored Seattle I discovered I love Seattle. Took ferry rides into the Sound, found some great wine bars and friendly prople within them, was shown some awesome local eateries and viewpoints by my friend. I explored neighborhoods like Ballard, with a great nightlife.

I am sure you came here for normal travel, but it seems like in the back of your mind you had predetermined that you were going to measure Sac V SD or somewhere else to prove what you already "knew"; that it doesn't compare.

Still think it's an epic fail. If you ever decide to visit, say, Tulsa, let me save you some money. No, it does not measure up on big ticket stuff to SD. Or most places. Why even waste the time to go just to prove what you already knew.

Last edited by sacite; 09-08-2014 at 06:49 PM..

Old 09-08-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
What's your blog address?
Wburg summed it up. I use the term loosely. I know I that I can be direct at times moreso than is needed, but it is hard for me to believe that someone could visit Sac with the intention of doing anything other than getting to know its local culture. If I want international entertainment options, I am going to LA or NY. Party and beach? Miami. Not sure why anyone would come to Sac expecting big ticket touristy stuff.The premise of it is just silly to begin with.

That said, for people who love history like Wburg and myself, the place is a gem. Sac is what it is and it's not for everyone. But you have to at least try to find out what it "is" to realistically form an opinion of it.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
If your definition of "noteworthy" is "there are masses of people there" then it's more a matter of when than where. If you wandered around downtown Sacramento during a weekday afternoon, you probably wouldn't see anything fitting that definition of "noteworthy" because there aren't masses of people about anywhere in Sacramento on a typical weekday afternoon. Weekend evenings in certain spots, weekend days when there is some sort of festival, that's another story. But we're not a densely populated city and we don't have attractions that draw throngs of tourists. If you were specifically looking for large crowds, maybe you should have asked for more advice on where to find 'em.

Rick's recently moved to that location, the cheesy Fifties diner decor is carried over from their old location. Rick's is fun and kind of a local institution, and I visited the old location quite a bit because it was down the street, but it's barely in the top 10 places to visit for sugary treats in the central city and nearby. Gunther's, Vic's, Marie's, Devine Gelateria, Ginger Elizabeth, all have better product. Rick's big plus is that they are open late and they're a fun hangout. If you don't like cheesy Fifties diner decor then it's obviously not going to be your cup of tea. Or slice of cake.

Depends on the restaurant. I'm kind of wondering where this "Capitol Records building" in Land Park is too--it's news to me. Maybe he was thinking of the Tower Cafe, part of the Tower Theatre complex in a former drugstore where Tower Records got its start? I'm a fan of adaptive reuse wherever I find it, and we have plenty of fun examples of that sort of reuse. Tower Cafe, like Rick's, typically tends to be on many locals' "top ten list" of local places primarily for their endurance than the quality of their food.

For some people, that's their idea of a good time. When I visit other cities, I typically try to find a good local coffee shop where I can hang out, and check out record stores, bookstores and art galleries when they are uncrowded so I can concentrate on the merchandise without distractions.

As mentioned above, if what you were looking for was people on the streets, it's more a matter of "when" than "where"--and mid-afternoon on a weekday, or even most weekday evenings, isn't a particularly good time for crowd-watching in Sacramento's central city. And no, there aren't crowds anywhere else to go look at, unless there's a game on at Raley Field or the new soccer stadium. When the soccer team started earlier this year they were playing games at a local community college and selling out the 20,000 person capacity.

Kind of a cheap shot there, in fact several. I retired my own blog in 2009 to write for a local magazine and a hyperlocal news site, but those business models have kind of foundered too. But people tend to call those (and this site) "blogs" because it's the only word they know for online forums, even if the archetypal "blog" is kind of becoming the Geocities page of the early 2010s.

For some folks, Sacramento's generally laid-back vibe is part of the appeal. Not everyone likes big crowds, some only on occasion. I consider Sacramento a city of festivals--generally it's quiet, but when it's time to throw a party we do a pretty good job, a fact that many people tend to miss if they showed up in between festivals. Sounds like that's what you did, and it's not the best way to get an honest assessment of the city. If you ever decide that you must, against your better judgment, return to Sacramento in the near future, please follow up here and folks here can try to point you toward whatever large gatherings are going on that weekend (because, ideally, you'll be here on the weekend when the interesting stuff is more likely happening.)
Great post. And ya I meant Tower Records.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:17 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,737,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
By noteworthy, I meant something unique to the city. Sorry, but coffeehouses and a handful of independent art galleries are found everywhere. The last thing I want to during the middle of the day is sit inside and read or surf the internet. I'd rather be out exploring the city. And yes, I get that many downtown streets are mostly empty outside of the lunch hour and after work.

Quote:
Yeah, I have an aversion to 50's diner theme restaurants. Leave that to the kiddos.

Quote:
I, too, am a fan of re-adaptive uses for old buildings. We have restaurants here that are in former mechanic garages and turn of century homes, nightclubs in former warehouses and banks (where the vaults were left in place), restaurants in old houses, etc. Again, nothing new here.

Quote:
I do that too, but as I mentioned above, unless it's something noteworthy, the last thing I want to do is be stuck indoors. I'd rather seek out the views, parks, neighborhoods, farmer's markets, etc.

Quote:
Agreed and the same goes for everywhere. Unfortunately, I was in Sacramento during the week.

Quote:
I should clarify and say that there are a few blogs that I still read. Eater San Diego is one of them.

Eater San Diego : The San Diego Restaurant, Bar, and Nightlife Blog

Quote:
Sure, but every place has festivals, free concerts, free outdoor movies, street fairs, parades, 10K races, walkathons, etc......Some big, some small, right?

You should know that this forum was much more helpful in planning my visit than the friend I visited in Folsom. He and his wife suggested that I go to Auburn, Placerville or Lake Oroville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite
SDurbanite;

Actually you cannot do those things anywhere. Your hometown is one example of such a place. Took me a good hour to find anything other than a Starbucks and I found ONE local art gallery. I searched long and hard for local events in SD. I spoke with locals. Picked up local papers like city beat. Drove around and scoured neighborhoods. I found nothing but chain stores outdide of Hillcrest/North Park. I understand my interests are not yours, but good god dude you didn't even try to get to know Sac. At least I gave SD several fair shakes before I formed my overall opinion.

Honestly, what were you expecting to see when you came here?? Did you really take a trip thinking you'd be blown away by a state Capitol building, or Old Sac? As state Capitol buildings and historical areas good, both places measure up. But they are not going to fill up an entire day and keep you entertained.

So what DID you want to see?

Your post is the equivalent of me visiting Seattle and reporting that the Space Needle is unspactacular (didn't wow me), the energy in Pike Place is blah, Pioneer Square is filled with bums and he Seattle Aquarium was not on par with SF's. All are actually true in my opinion, but because I explored Seattle I discovered I love Seattle. Took ferry rides into the Sound, found some great wine bars and friendly prople within them, was shown some awesome local eateries and viewpoints by my friend. I explored neighborhoods like Ballard, with a great nightlife.

I am sure you came here for normal travel, but it seems like in the back of your mind you had predetermined that you were going to measure Sac V SD or somewhere else to prove what you already "knew"; that it doesn't compare.

Still think it's an epic fail. If you ever decide to visit, say, Tulsa, let me save you some money. No, it does not measure up on big ticket stuff to SD. Or most places. Why even waste the time to go just to prove what you already knew.
I went to Sacramento with an open mind and found nothing interesting besides a 2 square mile area next downtown? No one else had any suggestions on where to go outside of midtown. Did I miss something? Most if of my time was spent exploring that area on foot and by car and I found it unremarkable. It's a neighborhood where people live. So what? Every city has them. You make it sound as if midtown doesn't exist anywhere else.

Honestly, your delusion of grandeur towards Sacramento is comical, sad and embarrassing all at the same time. And I would never size Sacramento up to SD because they aren't in the same league of cities.

Why not visit some of SACs peer cities like Kansas City, Louisville, Nashville, New Orleans, Providence, Pittburgh, Austin, Portland (both of them) or Milwaukee to see how uninteresting it really is and when you return home, serve yourself a huge helping of humble pie while blogging about it.

Perhaps you recall what Lt. Governor Gavin Newsom was overhead saying to someone?

"How often are you up in Sacramento?" the hotelier asked.

"Like one day a week, tops," Newsom said. "There's no reason."

It can be slow at the Capitol.

"It's just so dull, " Newsom said. "Sadly, I just, ugh, God."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1554208.html

....And Elvis has left the building.....

Last edited by sdurbanite; 09-10-2014 at 12:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento