U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2014, 05:21 PM

12 posts, read 12,498 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move to Sacramento soon and work for the CA State legislature, and I am planning to ride the metro train traveling from home to work. I am therefore searching apartments close enough to a metro train station for me to walk from the apartment to a station. [Within 1 mile of walk] I also heard that the good areas and bad areas in Sacramento are all mixed together, and you can have million dollar houses situated right next to crime ridden streets. I want to find a place to live where it is relatively safe for me to walk around, since I will have to wear a suit to work every day and sometimes have to go to work at 6 am or come home at 12 am. So, can you tell me where are the good and bad areas near a metro train station, or how do I find out if an area is safe/not safe?
Lastly, I am looking for a studio apartment right now and I want the apartment to be as cheap as possible while situated in a safe area, do you know what is the price range I should look for? There are studio apartments in the $600-$800 dollars per month range, is it safe to assume that these are all in bad areas?
Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 09:21 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,032,944 times
You may make "too much" but 70% of housing in the CBD is designated as affordable housing. If I qualified and were single, that's where I would want to be.

Old 08-24-2014, 04:56 AM

8,375 posts, read 15,214,489 times
70% of housing in the CBD is designated as affordable housing? That's news to me--last I heard it was more like 17% affordable, and then it's only affordable because the rents were low enough to be considered affordable, not because it was designated as income-controlled housing. And that was before the recent upswing in apartment rental prices since the latest housing boom.

If you have to come home at midnight, you won't be able to take light rail (RT Metro) to work because it generally stops running before midnight. That said, you can probably find a place south of the Capitol (between N and R Street, from 7th to about 18th) run by CADA in that price range. They aren't all that unsafe, even at night. $600-800 apartments near the Capitol are becoming harder to find, but you can find them. Is that your maximum price range? I assume if you're working a job where you have to wear a suit, you're in an income class where you can pay a bit more than that.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:15 PM

Thanks for all the answers. The starting salary for a legislative aide is surprisingly low, although it is reasonable since for the first few years we need to be trained for the job. Therefore I don't think I can afford any apartments with rents above 1000-1100 per month.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:40 PM

523 posts, read 1,122,124 times
I apologize for my need for clarification but did you mean Capital Corridor or Light Rail? How far out of downtown are you willing to look?

Old 08-24-2014, 08:56 PM

Light Rail. Anywhere within 1 mile distance from a light rail station that is also safe would be fine. Thanks!

Old 08-24-2014, 09:18 PM

Pretty much the entire central city south or east of the Capitol fits that description. Light rail runs all the way out to Rancho Cordova, but as mentioned above, it generally stops running before midnight so if you think you might be working that late, don't depend on light rail to get you there. Most of the best deals on apartments are had by walking the streets and looking for "for rent" signs.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:11 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,032,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
70% of housing in the CBD is designated as affordable housing? That's news to me--last I heard it was more like 17% affordable,
Actually, 77% of housing in the CBD is designated affordable housing. We've been through this before. You just refuse to believe it.

Marcos Breton: Housing advocates put their greed on display with arena suit - Marcos Breton - The Sacramento Bee

Old 08-24-2014, 11:24 PM

The CBD as defined in that article is the area from H to L Street between the river and 16th Street--less than 10% of the central city as a whole, and the part with the lowest population (not counting the jail.) My mistake for assuming you meant the central city and not just the CBD. Of that housing, part is senior housing (two buildings across from the jail) that I assume the OP won't qualify for, a half-dozen or so SRO hotels, a quarter of the units in 800 J and a couple apartments that are "low-income" not because of any sort of government program but just because they're cheap (but aren't likely to stay that way, since they aren't mandated to remain affordable.) Aside from the units in 800 J, I'm not sure if it is the kind of thing the OP is looking for.

Not sure about how affordability in the overall "grid" is doing, but around 2008 (the last time I saw a city presentation on it) about 17% of the central city (not the CBD) was affordable. That number has probably dropped considerably as low-income housing has been lost and market-rate housing has been built since then, and some of the formerly affordable rental units have become more expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or