Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2014, 03:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,329 times

Advertisements

I have been living above a woman's garage for around 6years. I don't pay rent but do anything she needs around house and yard and also any care she needs as she is a senior. All of a sudden in one instant her granddaughter (not real granddaughter may I add) wants to move upstairs and wants me to move out. Also may I add the upstairs is an illegal dwelling to be occupied in the first place. What are my rights even if it was a legal dwelling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 09:02 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,800,910 times
Unfortunately, kinfolk (even adopted kinfolk) can do that. If the old lady *wants* to make space for her adopted granddaughter, she can do that. I would hope they would give you a decent amount of time to find another place.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:20 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,841,862 times
Check here: http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/l...k/catenant.pdf

Old 08-28-2014, 11:22 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,786,973 times
I'm confused ? You've been living rent free in someone else's home for ~ 6 yrs, basically as an employee, not a tenant, and now they have the gall to want to make a change . Find another job and move out. This senior has the right to have whomever she wishes in her home and you need to find a new place to live and work and be happy that you had 6 years there. It's time for you to find someone 'new' who needs what you have to offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 916sky View Post
I have been living above a woman's garage for around 6years. I don't pay rent but do anything she needs around house and yard and also any care she needs as she is a senior. All of a sudden in one instant her granddaughter (not real granddaughter may I add) wants to move upstairs and wants me to move out. Also may I add the upstairs is an illegal dwelling to be occupied in the first place. What are my rights even if it was a legal dwelling?

Old 08-31-2014, 12:52 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,298,493 times
Chances are your residing in the garage is illegal unless it has been converted to a "liveable" space with permits. The other tenant is an entirely different issue from yours and has nothing to do with your situation. Aside from all that, I would assume a 30 day notice, or maybe a 60 day, to move is all that is required of them and you don't have any recourse, nor should you expect it. Take the 30 day notice and find another place. If you make a production out of this there is that chance the county could get involved and say the garage is unfit for habitation and you will be out by the end of the day. Especially if there is a water heater in the garage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
View detailed profiles of: