Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 02:56 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieV610 View Post
I also asked these questions after having read through various other forums that certain areas around ARC are considered "less than safe". I've previously lived in places that have negative reputations with absolutely no problem, so I always question as to whether these types of responses are manifestations of personal insecurity or if there are legitimately areas that should be avoided due to crimes being committed on the random population.

However, with that said, are there any sections of the Sacramento area that are known to be easier for transplants?
"Safe" means different things to different people. It would be helpful if you would explain what you mean by safe.

I'm not aware of any neighborhood that are more "transplant friendly." Unless, perhaps, the neighborhoods that see a high turn over of residents, for example, near the colleges.

There are nice, older areas close to ARC that you should consider. I would stay away from Auburn Blvd, and look at the east side near Garfield. Or near Winding Way. Check the neighborhoods between Madison, Gibbons/Fair Oaks, to San Juan or even perhaps to Sunrise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 06:16 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,571,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxes View Post
We just moved here for work too, and in our opinion, proximity to work is 90% of the equation.

I'd recommend against Midtown, it's a silly unless you work downtown or must go clubbing every night -- premium rent, no parking, and you have to commute out of the city (across a bridge!) to ARC for work. Midtown is some place you visit on a Friday/weekend for happy hour, not a place you want to struggle to find parking after coming home each night.

Also, driving long distances here is NOT fun, and contrary to what we were told, traffic here is terrible and drivers can be as reckless as any other dense urban sprawl (we came from NYC/Miami). We also get a lot of through traffic from out-of-towners, and you do not want to get caught on the interstate on a Friday afternoon when the Bay area begins their mass exodus to Tahoe.

All that being said, you can't really go wrong with the suburbia areas around ARC -- Citrus Heights, Fair Oaks, and Arden Arcade are all nice areas. You will probably want to avoid the area directly north (North Highlands) as it's a poorer area and known for gang activity.

Finally, as others echoed above, you'll want to rent a while before you buy, unless you find something you absolutely love and at a good deal, given that mortgage rates are at the all year low now and can only go up. Our friends just rented a gorgeous house in Arden Arcade with a huge yard for $1500/mo. However you'll probably have to get a 1-year lease term, shorter terms are harder to find, especially ones accommodating for pets.
Disagree with this. I lived in midtown 7 yrs and rarely struggled to find parking. Once you actually live there, you understand where parking is available and at what times. And I do not go clubbing. In fact, the activity that I did most in midtown was walking around looking at the victorians and enjoying the trees. It has always been relaxing for me. Midtown is also the one area of Sac that is accessible to everywhere. You can be on a freeway headed East, West, North or South within minutes from almost any local in Midtown. In contrast, there is a lot of sprawl and traffic that you have to fight through in many parts of the Arden arcade or other areas of Sac just to get to a freeway exit. Midtown's central location is one of its selling points.

Now if they are looking to explore different areas, I agree that certain parts of the Arden arcade along the river may be desireable. There are some attractive, more residential areas that are still close enough to restaurants and ARC, and closer to their budget on a 30 yr mortgage. Citrus heights may also be an option for their particular needs.

Traffic is all relative to one's experience. Most people that post on Sac's traffuc in a posituve light are natives of CA who - like myself - have moved the bay area or other metros which have truly horrendous traffic. Sacramento traffic is great and a walk in the park by comparison. Though I do agree Sac drivers are in general, probably more dangerous than the national average.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:56 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
The way I like to put it is, if you're used to Los Angeles or Chicago traffic, Sacramento traffic is like getting a foot massage in a warm bubble bath. Because there are so many jobs in and around downtown, Midtown can be a good choice if your job is located in the same area. If your job is in Roseville, you've got more of a commute and you might look for a place closer to Roseville--and so on. But there are something like 90,000 jobs just in the central city, and roughly another 60,0000 jobs within a mile of downtown--but only 30,000 people live in the central city, and another 45,000 within that additional mile radius. That means that if all of those 75,000 people (including children, senior citizens, the disabled and the homeless) have jobs downtown, they still need 75,000 people from outside that radius to drive in to work! So parking is an issue, especially for those who drive downtown to work.

Parking is also an issue for those who live in Midtown, if less so, but for many it's an acceptable compromise--and the less you drive, the less it is an issue. Fortunately, it's the most walkable part of the city, in fact the entire metro area, although our walkable areas are starting to grow out into the other "traditional" neighborhoods around the city center. So it's no longer just limited to a few blocks.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:38 PM

21,832 posts, read 25,102,289 times
South Natomas, North Highlands, possibly Antelope. South Natomas puts you a little closer to Midtown for more choice in restaurants, North Highlands or Antelope put you closer to work for an easier commute. The price is extremely limiting. They're basically fairly ghetto neighborhoods but also the only place you'll find newer (post 1980) construction for ~$200k. If you don't have kids and aren't concerned with schools, they aren't awful I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento