Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 09:39 PM

16 posts, read 35,219 times

Advertisements

". . . roseville is one of the least accepting cities in california for people who are different."

That's from someone else's post and was in context for homosexuals. Are there other different people not accepted in Roseville? If that's the case, would you please highlight who realistically would not be accepted? Are liberal or creative personalities, even not following politics, mostly crossed out? Would it be harder for them to find or keep work?

Also, are Roseville and Placer county and El Dorado county full of guns? Do neighbors shoot their guns next to the houses of other neighbors, outside of the cities and in the smaller towns?

Right now I'm in New York not terribly far from Sandy Hook and am dealing with a neighbor with guns trying to cause as much disturbance as possible, timing each shot with my actions or speech in my own home, and though it might not seem so, over months and years this has been very intensely difficult to deal with, even after talking with him and saying so. There's a New York law against this but it is not enforced.

Could there be similar aggression from one neighbor to another in California? I'd like to think not. I love California. And I am interested in finding out more about Roseville besides what's on the other current threads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 10:52 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,848,983 times
I'd have to see the full context of the related topic to give an opinion. Can you post the topic link?

Not everyone here owns a gun, nor do they typically shoot them in their backyard, except maybe on the 4th of. July. Backyard shooting is more common in rural areas. I'm sure gun possession is far more common in the ghetto-ish areas of Sacramento. I wouldn't include Roseville in that list. Although, I'm sure the pro NRA/GOA folk would shoot to protect their home from invaders.

There may be a registry were you can look up the % of gun owners/zip code. IDK. But keep in mind, there are plenty of folk out here who have unregistered guns, who owned them prior to registration being required. Many of the patriot/militia sort are along these lines of thinking, but most are unground right now.

Overall, I don't see a lot of gun exposure in Others more active in gun hobbies may disagree.

OP, can't you report your neighbor to the police? He sounds like a kook.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:06 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,291,625 times
You have to get farther east into the foothills before you really encounter the "I can shoot off my back porch" folks. Roseville is conservative but in a suburban sort of way, and a lot of the recent migrants are slightly less conservative, in a "voted for the establishment Republican instead of the Tea Party candidate" kind of way. A gay couple got discouraged from holding hands and kissing in the Roseville mall, which led to some big backlash and a kiss-in by folks from Sacramento. So it's conservative but not that conservative. There are quite a few gun shops, and definitely more gun folk per capita than Sacramento.

What is it that you love about California? Why are you considering Roseville vs. other places?

Old 06-17-2014, 11:10 PM

Default Here's the Link

Thank you, caligirlz. Here's the page with the homosexual context, on post #14:

//www.city-data.com/forum/sacra...seville-2.html

I'm not homosexual, but I wondered if homosexuals could have problems there, maybe bookish, liberal, or creative types could too. Just in case, I'd like to see how open or reasonably laid back Roseville and Placer and El Dorado counties are in general, with whatever exceptions good or bad that can always exist.

"OP, can't you report your neighbor to the police? He sounds like a kook."

Thanks for saying so. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I did try but the policeman said he himself was a hunter and told me to try not to let it bother me. People moving up from New York City, only two hours south, are sometimes shocked about the gunfire like I was, and move away.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:30 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,291,625 times
I grew up within walking distance of Roseville, and as a bookish, liberal or creative type, I didn't care much for it, aside from the library and Denio's Auction, so I moved to Sacramento. That was a long time ago, when it was a lot more of a small country town, now it's a fairly wealthy up-and-coming suburb. There is a bookstore (Beatnik Books) in Old Roseville that I would have loved back when I was growing up. Back then it was easygoing but rednecky--now it's less working-class and more uptight middle-class.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:39 PM

Hello, wburg. A lot of gun shops in Roseville itself?

Overall I love California for many things: the film industry, the weather, the varied natural environments, Silicon Valley, inventiveness, and Californians—your relaxed personalities, especially compared to New Yorkers and natives of the northeast, not to say they don't have their good qualities too.

I'm looking at Roseville, really outside of it in a small town, for homes with 1 acre or more eventually, purely out of more affordability and just a home to really feel settled in, hopefully with more sane neighbors than I have here, to live in mutual respect or reasonability. I lived in Santa Clara for over 3 years and liked it except that I'm not made to live in the city, but more in the country, outside the suburbs. At the same time and maybe contradictory, I have a city person's cultural interests or mindset but in my personality am mostly pretty moderate.

There doesn't seem to be much of programmer/developer jobs in the area, although some in Sacramento. If possible, I'd like to do that for work.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:42 PM

Uptight as?

Do you kind of like Roseville now?

Old 06-18-2014, 12:47 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,265,611 times
Roseville is not my cup of tea (suburb) but it definitely doesn't have any kind of rural/redneck kind of feel. Look elsewhere.

Try fresno.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:52 AM

Fresno has a high theft statistic and not too many developer openings on Indeed.com. What good things do you prefer about it?

Old 06-18-2014, 03:47 AM

16 posts, read 24,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Five5two View Post
Hello, wburg. A lot of gun shops in Roseville itself?

Overall I love California for many things: the film industry, the weather, the varied natural environments, Silicon Valley, inventiveness, and Californians—your relaxed personalities, especially compared to New Yorkers and natives of the northeast, not to say they don't have their good qualities too.

I'm looking at Roseville, really outside of it in a small town, for homes with 1 acre or more eventually, purely out of more affordability and just a home to really feel settled in, hopefully with more sane neighbors than I have here, to live in mutual respect or reasonability. I lived in Santa Clara for over 3 years and liked it except that I'm not made to live in the city, but more in the country, outside the suburbs. At the same time and maybe contradictory, I have a city person's cultural interests or mindset but in my personality am mostly pretty moderate.

There doesn't seem to be much of programmer/developer jobs in the area, although some in Sacramento. If possible, I'd like to do that for work.
I live in Rocklin, my husband is a programmer and is usually recruiting people for his team. Gay friendly coworkers

The good thing about Greater Sacramento comparing to Silicon Valley are the housing/rent prices. We have a friend renting a 1 room place for 1500 usd in Palo Alto or Sunnyvale. And for that money, or a bit more, you can get a nice house with a pretty backyard here.

The only setback here is if you're single and willing to meet people, or if you enjoy going out for cultural events the week-ends. At least where I live everything looks empty/closed after 10pm, and I'm used to see people in the streets until past 2 or 3AM from where I'm from, so that's kind of something you may miss from the big cities.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento