Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2014, 02:49 PM

4 posts, read 8,369 times

Advertisements

Hi there, my family has an opportunity to live in a nice, big house very cheaply in Tracy, very, very close to I-5 ( we got a hook up from a family member). My husband works 12-hour night shift in Sacramento, 3 nights a week. What would this commute be like? He would need to be at work by 6:30ish PM, and would leave work around 7:15 AM to head back to Tracy.

Is this crazy? Would it be worth it, considering it's just 3 times per week? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 05:18 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,141,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursulaudders View Post
Hi there, my family has an opportunity to live in a nice, big house very cheaply in Tracy, very, very close to I-5 ( we got a hook up from a family member). My husband works 12-hour night shift in Sacramento, 3 nights a week. What would this commute be like? He would need to be at work by 6:30ish PM, and would leave work around 7:15 AM to head back to Tracy.

Is this crazy? Would it be worth it, considering it's just 3 times per week? Thanks!
Why not move to Sacramento? Is Tracy that much of a discount?

I would be concerned about falling asleep at the wheel on the way home! Not worth it. I've worked overnight hours and just traveling within a relatively short distance was a challenge.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:32 AM

Falling asleep at the wheel could be a concern. My husband does sleep 7-8 hours before working - he just does it during the day (say, 9 AM to 5 PM).

Last edited by Odette916; 09-22-2014 at 12:40 AM..

Old 09-22-2014, 12:41 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,801,495 times
I think it's crazy.

What part of Sacramento?

How sleepy is your husband after a 12 hour shift? I know I was sleepy doing the same, and I only had a 10 minute drive. I can't even imagine being on the road for an hour or more.

He'd be in the midst of the commuter traffic both ways. I think, just guessing, on a good day, the drive would take 1 to 1.5 hours, and it probably be a little longer during commute hours. Although....it is a somewhat reverse commute. I sounds like an awful commute. A free house would not be worth the commute for me.

However, only you & he can decide if it's worth it for your family.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:29 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,785,688 times
People live in Tracy because they can't afford a single family home in San Jose or the East Bay. You *can* afford the Sacramento area if you can afford Tracy, and nice parts of the Sacramento area at that! Unless another family member is stuck in a Bay Area job, MOVE.

Old 09-22-2014, 03:48 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,390,733 times
I don't think it would be too bad, depending on which part of Sacramento. The three days will be a lot longer with the commute, but if you're getting that good of a deal in Tracy try it out for a while.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:56 AM

Thanks for the responses!

We do live in Sac, and we can afford it, but the Tracy house is free (we would just pay utilities), and would only be for a few months - 6 months max, until we buy a house of our own. We would save a lot of money in that time.

The commute does sound terrible. It's just over an hour with no traffic. I was just wondering if it would be manageable for a few months. We're thinking of doing a trial run at the house for a week to see if it can work or not. I definitely don't want to make my husband's life miserable with a horrible commute.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:06 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,785,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette916 View Post
Thanks for the responses!

We do live in Sac, and we can afford it, but the Tracy house is free (we would just pay utilities), and would only be for a few months - 6 months max, until we buy a house of our own. We would save a lot of money in that time.

The commute does sound terrible. It's just over an hour with no traffic. I was just wondering if it would be manageable for a few months. We're thinking of doing a trial run at the house for a week to see if it can work or not. I definitely don't want to make my husband's life miserable with a horrible commute.
Ah, I see. Carry on, then. You can hack it for 6 months. 6 months free rent less 6 months extra fuel burned and wear and tear = your profit.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:20 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,801,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette916 View Post
The commute does sound terrible. It's just over an hour with no traffic. I was just wondering if it would be manageable for a few months. We're thinking of doing a trial run at the house for a week to see if it can work or not.
Please come back & let us know how it goes....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento