Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 09:42 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times

Advertisements

So, the decision has finally been made. I'll be starting work next month in Rancho Cordova.

I have lived in Rocklin before and I liked it. Though, on my last visit I Was suprised by the increase in traffic, and I dont think its the best area to live in anyway if I have to work in Rancho Cordova. I am interested in Mid-town -- just from what I have read here from others. I never spent enough time in Sacramento itself to really know what that is all about. I'm single, 30 and female and I like the city and nightlife, the arts etc. But I really hate dealing with crime and the feeling of claustraphobia I can get in places like Chicago....

I like the foothills too, and I'm also considering Davis. I'm really quite open right now and just looking for suggestions. I guess I get the feeling I didn't explore much last time beyond Rocklin, Lincoln, Roseville, Auburn and the area around the mall and capital park in Sac.

Any suggetions or ideas!? Much appreciated, and finally feeling like I am looking forward to a move...with all its complications!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 10:19 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,701,853 times
When I was single (and before kids) I loved midtown - and never felt clostrpohpbic at all - but if you like the suburbs of Rocklin or Roseville maybe you need something more like that

but check it out - I'd kill to be in a position to move back AND single again

midtowngrid.com, Directory for Sacramento, Midtown, Downtown Sacramento, East Sacramento and Old Saccramento Business Directory for shopping, restaurants, hotels, Sacramento's 2nd Saturday Art Walk, Entertainment and more!

Old 02-20-2008, 10:32 AM

Thanks!

so this area is really east of the capital area? I know I have read about it but I really dont think I ever spent time there. I do recall sacramento being so much more managable than a city like Chicago. It actually reminded me more of my college town in a lot of ways.

Also, I actually tend to feel more claustrophobic up by Grass Valley and that area....I like that in the valley you can see far into the distance...could be cause I'm from Illinois I like horizons and to see the mountains in the distance

I'm very intersted in trying out Mid-town cause I have been living in a fairly rural suburban area for the past year and I'm about ready to let that go I think! I guess my biggest hesitation then would be crime.

Is it a place you feel comfortable walking around at night? To what degree do you need to be protective of your car and things like that?

for instance, the day I moved back to Chicago my car was broken into....I'd kinda forgot the fact that having ONE box in the backseat was in invitation to have your windows smashed!

Old 02-20-2008, 10:38 AM

Well I'll tell you - the good parts of Midtown are nice - and I felt safe all the time. I once had to rent a car (my car was in the shop) and I left the keys IN THE DOOR!! No one stole the car.

But of course I used to leave my bike out too (and tied to a fence) and in three days - every night somebody took a new piece off. Oh well.

There's also East Sac, and Land Park which have the same "feel" as midtown and are even safer. You'd probably really like McKinley Park

Have I told you how jealous I am that you get to move back

Old 02-20-2008, 10:48 AM

thats actually pretty good. In Chicago my bike was stolen in one complete swoop, even though it was locked up! We have major talent here!

Interesting, I don't know about those other areas as well, I will look into that.

You know, I have wanted to move back for a long time too. For some reason once it became a reality, the decision got hard and the details became magnified. But my friend reminded me that I talk about my time there "like a lost lover" haha...so yes, I am very excited actually and if I dont do it now I know I will regret it. I hope you get your wish as well!!!!!!!!

Old 02-20-2008, 01:07 PM

154 posts, read 910,229 times
Beware of living too far away from Rancho Cordova if that's where your job is. The traffic on HWy 50 is a nightmare these days. Getting from Rocklin to Rancho Cordova isn't a far distance on a map, but it can take easily an hour or so. Ridiculous I know. All the red lights, or the 80/50 freeway transfer, any way you go, it takes forever. Just keep in mind the increase in traffic in this area, unless an hour commute doesn't bother you. But it does me! That's another 2 hours added to my work day! I live in Rocklin now and turned down a job in Rancho for this very reason. Living midtown SAc would be good, it's nice down there, but the drive....

Old 02-20-2008, 01:18 PM

Thanks, I was there and was shocked by the traffic on 50 two weekends ago..yuck...and I like to drive. It looks like the light rail is an option. It looks like my office would be pretty close to a stop in Rancho. What is the feasibility of keeping a bike locked up at that station and biking to the office? Is the light rail generally safe, reliable..on time?

I am really interested in mid-town been scouring that website, thanks again to both of you!

Old 02-20-2008, 01:21 PM

Pish posh! I worked in Rancho and lived in Midtown - it took 20 minutes! AND you can always just drive around folsom blvd or other large side streets!

Old 02-20-2008, 01:23 PM

154 posts, read 910,229 times
If you are going to be renting, you could try getting a place that only has a 6 month lease or none at all. Then after youre here awhile, you can choose where you would like to live and get a more permenant residence. It's hard to pick and choose where to live in conjuction to your job until you actually do the commute for a few weeks. Then you can see if it's something you want to deal with or not. The lightrail is late sometimes, but at least it's somewhat of an alternative.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:48 PM

9 posts, read 38,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post

There's also East Sac,
City Girl,
What neighborhoods specifically would you label East Sac?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento