Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2014, 11:46 AM

793 posts, read 1,414,970 times

Advertisements

Perhaps someone here knows the answer...

There's a trend at (real) Mexican restaurants, where the price of combos doesn't make sense.
I've noticed this at nearly every family owned Mexican restaurant I've been to.

Here's an example:

A La Carte:
Taco - $2.25
Rice & Beans plate - $2.99

Price for 2 tacos and rice and beans a la carte: $7.49

Lunch Special:
2 Tacos + Rice & Beans: $8.25 ($.76 more than buying a la carte)

This is true for nearly every combo meal - lunch or dinner - where I've found ordering a la carte saves anywhere from .50 to 2.00 $.

What's the deal with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 11:05 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,364,888 times
It's always been that way and not just in Sacramento but California as a whole and other states as well. I think it's ease of handling for the kitchen and servers, fewer dirty dishes and permits periodic specials on the combo plates. Clean and easy!

Old 09-23-2014, 01:55 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,141,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
It's always been that way and not just in Sacramento but California as a whole and other states as well. I think it's ease of handling for the kitchen and servers, fewer dirty dishes and permits periodic specials on the combo plates. Clean and easy!
But the Combo special is 76 cents more? I would think that less plates/utensils/ease of putting things in one platter vs two or more separate dishes would lead to a less expensive price.

76 cents here and 76 cents there and pretty soon you can buy a pack of gum...

Old 09-23-2014, 06:33 PM

256 posts, read 365,757 times
I think the answer is that customers are generally kind of dumb and don't bother to do the math and just assume that the special is a bargain. Portion sizes could be more generous in the special, or maybe there is an included soda? But I'm voting for dumb.

Old 09-24-2014, 03:07 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,566,616 times
Well, that $.79 gives you the right to say you bought a "combo". It's like buying a Mercedez for the name as opposed to a Hyundai. Ya, it's exactly like that. You have to ask yourself - do you want to be a cheap ala carte' SOB or do you want to be a high rollin combo mofo? Combo it is .

Old 09-25-2014, 04:30 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,364,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeney View Post
I think the answer is that customers are generally kind of dumb and don't bother to do the math and just assume that the special is a bargain. Portion sizes could be more generous in the special, or maybe there is an included soda? But I'm voting for dumb.
My dumb was reading it backward. I always priced these things and took what appeared to be the better deal but in some cases, the a la carte portions were smaller than the combo servings.

Let's face it, they ain't in business to do you any favors.

Where we now live is home to some of the worst Mexican food we've ever had; especially compared to what's available in CA although you still have to be careful. Just because you're Mexican and cook doesn't mean you cook good Mexican.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:33 PM

23 posts, read 29,680 times
Maybe the combo comes with some chopped lettuce and chips & salsa.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:18 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,804,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tall View Post

There's a trend at (real) Mexican restaurants, where the price of combos doesn't make sense.
I've noticed this at nearly every family owned Mexican restaurant I've been to.

This is true for nearly every combo meal - lunch or dinner - where I've found ordering a la carte saves anywhere from .50 to 2.00 $.
It's not a trend, it's always been this way as others have mentioned. Or at least as long as I can remember which would be at least 30 years.
It's because you get beans & rice with your taco. It really doesn't matter that beans & rice are cheap. It's more time & effort for the business...and the cost is passed on.

More food = more $

Old 09-29-2014, 10:36 PM

793 posts, read 1,414,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
It's not a trend, it's always been this way as others have mentioned. Or at least as long as I can remember which would be at least 30 years.
It's because you get beans & rice with your taco. It really doesn't matter that beans & rice are cheap. It's more time & effort for the business...and the cost is passed on.

More food = more $
Haha. I'll just continue to get the rice and beans on the side, dirty a second plate, and save money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
View detailed profiles of: