Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 11:08 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times

Advertisements

Another fun place to go is the Fox and Goose pub:

Fox & Goose Pub : Fox and Goose

I don't know if you have young kids, or if you're into aquarium fish...

But, a fun place to go is Capitol Aquarium on T Street. They have a huge selection of fresh and saltwater fish, and even have tide pools set up. It's a fun, free place to just go look around - well, unless you are into fish like I used to be (don't have room for my aquarium where I live now). I always spent too much money there ha ha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 08:44 AM

256 posts, read 367,427 times
Capitol Aquarium closed several years ago. So sad.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:50 AM

264 posts, read 413,873 times
Checked out the Antique Faire last Sunday, quite a setup! But of course it's a glorified flea market / garage sale with slightly higher markups by most vendors. I find that flea markets / antique stores get proportionately better the farther removed from civilization. But serious-antique-hunting aside, as something to do it was really cool got some kettle corn and did a lot of browsing.

Are there no aquariums now in Sac?

@NoMoreSnowForMe -- at one point, in my old place, I had 12+ planted tanks set up with nano fish and shrimp... and a planted fish pond... planning to setup a few more soon after I move.

I like JoJo's (Jo Jo Aquarium) as an aquarium store, probably the best local one. Not quite the same as Aqua Forest in SF, but lots of rimless tanks, fish, some plants, and fun to visit / shop. Yes they can get expensive! Trick is to not get aquarium-specialty goods, i.e. shop lights instead of tank lights, miracle grow organic + Tractor Supply black sand instead of aquarium substrate, plant heavily and over filter so you never have to maintain, and stick with freshwater.

Will check out Fox & Goose. My counter-recommendation for pub food: LowBrau (http://lowbrausacramento.com/) (service can be meh, but happy hours are almost unbeatable)

Last edited by xenxes; 10-14-2014 at 10:00 AM..

Old 10-15-2014, 12:16 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
So sad about Capitol Aquarium!

I know you're looking for things to do in Sacto, but....

I love Picnic Day in Davis. Usually around April or so each year. You could take the Amtrak from Sacto right into downtown Davis, and walk the 5 or 6 blocks to campus. It's free and a blast. Love the parade, and especially the dachshund races.

Picnic Day

Would be a really fun day trip.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:27 AM

51 posts, read 59,820 times
Edible Pedal in Liestal Alley just off 17th street has rental bikes and good rates.

October 22 the roses were in full bloom at downtown Rose Peace Garden! Who heard of roses blooming a week before Halloween?

For healthy cheap eats my fave is Chipolte in Midtown at Capitol and 19th. $7.22 including tax gets you a huge vegetarian salad bowl. Romaine lettuce, cilantro, brown rice, bell peppers, salsa, corn relish, sour cream, cheese, guacamole, hit sauce. HUGE meal! Free extra helpings on all ingredients except guacamole, meat, pork and chicken. Chipolte is near City College and other locations.

Halloween at Chipolte everything is only $3 if you wear a costume. All proceeds donated to charity.

Midtown Grocery Outlet always saves me 50% on grocery bill. Small but cool organic section. Merchandise changes daily. Gourmet goodies and obscure grocery oddities like labels printed in Turkish and Arabic! Lots of great bargains in the body care cosmetic section and cookware housewares.

Hot Italian on the patio is a great place for lunch in nice weather.

Free lectures on Sundays at Central library. Schedule is online. Free movies on Tuesday nights.

Old 10-25-2014, 03:30 PM

256 posts, read 367,427 times
Roses bloom in Sacramento all year. There are usually roses at Christmas time.

Old 10-25-2014, 08:26 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,306,051 times
I am a firm advocate for Sacramento summer evenings. Its a great time to eat outside or go for bike rides or play tennis.

Old 10-25-2014, 08:52 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,280,905 times
I think we're done with summer evenings for this year...and about time, considering we're more than a month into fall! As a side note, Sacramento's "fall color" is typically found in the older city neighborhoods, which are planted with trees that tend to turn more dramatic colors than valley oaks, which just turn brown. Of course, with the drought, I don't expect that dramatic a fall-color show this year.

Old 10-26-2014, 12:51 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,306,051 times
Still, I do enjoy the summer evenings right after dusk.

Old 10-26-2014, 01:21 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,572,548 times
I'll start with my faves. First on the list is technically outside of Sac but I love it anyway:

(1) Apple Hill. I find something new here literally each time I go. Last weekend I found an old farm.museum with covered wagons, bayonets, etc. I got dried pears at the apple mill nearby. Awesome day. I believe there are 20-30 wineries there, so there's always something new explore.

(2) Coffee/Cappucino at Old soul. Not exactly entertainment, but there is no better place to go after my jog. Great vibe and I have literally met and exchanged numbers or email with several random people that I have met there in the past couple months.

(3) 58 Holding for wine. Again, I met two women (albeit martied women) last week and we then hung out at Capital dime. The food scene here is great.

(4) Community events. I know this is vague but there are always local events somewhere in Sac. The same women informed me about a food event they are hosting for charity, with music and some well known reality TV chefs. Seems like this kind of thing is everywhere here if you spwnd some time looking for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento