Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2014, 03:31 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,331,254 times

Advertisements

We've been looking to the Sacramento area to relocate (from the Bay Area) due to employment and/or retirement. The towns we've narrowed down to are Lincoln, Roseville, Rocklin or Fair Oaks.

A friend (not a Sacramento resident) mentioned Sacramento has bad air quality because of all the agricultural spraying. I noticed on the California forum, someone mentioned field spraying was bad in the Central Valley. I know, different part of the state, but it brought back to mind that other person's comment about Sacramento that I'd originally dismissed.

I've been to Sacramento plenty of times and never noticed a problem with the air quality. Honestly, being here in Sonoma County, we live with the strong smell of cow dung a couple times a year when they turn the fields. So I'm not especially sensitive to smells. I don't do well with chemicals, though. Just wondering if the residents there have any comments on the topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 03:39 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,801,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
We've been looking to the Sacramento area to relocate (from the Bay Area) due to employment and/or retirement. The towns we've narrowed down to are Lincoln, Roseville, Rocklin or Fair Oaks.

A friend (not a Sacramento resident) mentioned Sacramento has bad air quality because of all the agricultural spraying. I noticed on the California forum, someone mentioned field spraying was bad in the Central Valley. I know, different part of the state, but it brought back to mind that other person's comment about Sacramento that I'd originally dismissed.

I've been to Sacramento plenty of times and never noticed a problem with the air quality. Honestly, being here in Sonoma County, we live with the strong smell of cow dung a couple times a year when they turn the fields. So I'm not especially sensitive to smells. I don't do well with chemicals, though. Just wondering if the residents there have any comments on the topic.
Lincoln you might still see "crop dusters" but the other towns are built up enough where that will not be a problem, especially Fair Oaks.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:19 PM

4,030 posts, read 3,308,084 times
The American Lung Association has a report an air quality problems in different cities of the country. You can read it here. Sacramento doesn't do that great.

City Rankings - State of the Air 2014 | American Lung Association

In the wintertime, Sacramento tends to get the tule fog (radiation ground fog). When the tule fog forms the region has an inversion layer, at the fog line where cold air is stagnant and doesn't circulate much. During that time you see spikes in particulate and ozone readings. Additionally in the summer when Sacramento has really hot days with no delta breeze, often the air stagnates and again their are air pollution problems. There are also some weird effects with respect to air masses coming off the Sierras at night, where pollution levels can spike at weird times in the foothills. (see more about the air in the foothills here)

http://www.sparetheair.com/faq.cfm

Maybe 20 years ago you had some bad air quality days in Sacramento from rice burning, but that practice has been banned for years. More recently I don't think ag sources are the big polluters as much as prevailing winds carrying air pollution from the Bay Area mixing with the pollution that the region creates on its own that I suspect create most of the problems locally.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:06 PM

Thanks for the link. This is very helpful! Looks like Sacramento ranks bad in the "ozone" category, but didn't make either the short- or long-term particle worst offenders.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:36 PM

4,030 posts, read 3,308,084 times
Look again at the list of short term particle pollution, Sacramento is ranked #25

Old 10-21-2014, 10:47 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
Maybe your friends are referring to chemtrails....

Or perhaps to the mosquito spraying Sacramento-Yolo Mosquito & Vector Control District

Old 10-22-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
Maybe your friends are referring to chemtrails....

Or perhaps to the mosquito spraying Sacramento-Yolo Mosquito & Vector Control District
If I recall, she'd said "I'd be concerned about all the spraying" when I'd mentioned moving to Sacramento. I guess I only assumed she meant agriculture.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:00 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,653,036 times
Quote:
If I recall, she'd said "I'd be concerned about all the spraying" when I'd mentioned moving to Sacramento. I guess I only assumed she meant agriculture.
I think people in the Bay Area just think everything is a farm out here. Haha.

But no--that's really not too much of a concern in the city. The air quality does get bad sometimes, but it's less bad than LA or anywhere south in the Central Valley. Pollen is a bigger concern for a lot of people.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:35 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
Quote:
Both are a type of spraying, and both affect the environment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento