Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 01:41 AM

4,021 posts, read 3,301,161 times

Advertisements

The State Capitol of Texas is Austin while the State Capitol of California is Sacramento. In both States I imagine the largest collection of state government employees is in their respective state Capitols. I doubt that the cost of living between Austin and Sacramento is all that different at least not to justify a difference in average wages of $51,499 vs $70,777. For instance I really doubt that the average corrections worker in Texas gets paid what an average corrections worker gets paid in California because I doubt the Prison guards union has the strength in Texas that it has in California. Look at the background of most of the people who rise to leadership positions in the California State Senate and Assembly, usually they spent some time working at one union or another. California right now pretty much has one party rule (at least for statewide offices) and most of the people running that party owe their jobs in large part to union connections. In Texas, the public employees unions don't have the same amount of strength or the same reach, so they haven't been able to push wages up as much.

Last edited by shelato; 10-20-2014 at 01:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 01:51 AM

528 posts, read 866,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
So go back to Mass.

I'm from Chicago originally and I can't figure out why people from Mass always think everyone wants to hear them complain. No one cares. Stop being being self centered and obnoxious. Get over yourself.
You're telling me Chicago people never complained? LOL. I think I recall you saying in one thread how you hated Sacramento and thought L.A was more a real city or something to that effect. You talked about the riverwalk. So ya you ain't perfect either fool. Other than me, how many experiences have you had from people in my region? It seems like you have experience with us. Self centered and obnoxious? At least I can flat out admit it if I am however, if you told me I am worse than any bay area type you ever met I would seriously have to .

Old 10-20-2014, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuns View Post
I would say that even more than that, because it's California, everything that Davis or Berkeley or any other municipality does that is apparently out of real problems gets picked up and reported or spun by outlets trying to have a laugh. From my read, there are few categories of laws that gets picked up and mocked nationally:
1) Ones that are just ineffectual, feel-good legislation that doesn't really affect anyone; it just sounds kind of silly
2) Ones that affect relatively few of us, like what happens in Berkeley or Davis
3) Ones that do affect larger groups of people but that have a legitimate concern to deal with, though we can argue about whether it's worth the sacrifice. We have really strict laws about vehicles, open burning, playing frisbee on the beach etc, because the air pollution in many parts of the state is really bad. We just banned plastic bags, which is an inconvenience, but they do have legitimate negative aspects. Gun control laws.

It's really only this latter category that people may have some complaint about California and that's certainly their right. Many of these are the result of having so many people trying so dang close together, so people should understand that before living here.

I do find it unfortunate that people who want to make a political point have been successful in defining "freedom" so narrowly, such that absence of restrictions on personal actions is considered freedom, with little regard to their effect on others (the air they breathe, the water they drink). This perspective also generally ignores freedoms that many "small government" states willingly restrict, like marijuana use, alternative lifestyles, and (very broadly) woman's reproductive freedoms.
Everything I am reading here, very little of it is appealing to me. I swear, it has the makings of a failed state. For starters I love:

Burning leaves/campfires

The freedom to use plastic bags, what if you pick up dog crap? it will leak through the polyester even worse.

Breastfeeding in public is good so long as its not outside a supermarket with tons of people plus, they'd probably complain anyhow. Otherwise yes great, wonderful and a baby needs all natural milk.

Gun laws, YES. and eager folks to teach anyone the proper safety.

Frisbee on the beach, now I don't do this but to deprive people because of "air conditions".. hilahrious. Brian Wilson probably wants to shoot himself by now. Hes probably thinking he didn't go far enough when he was in his youth.

Homeschooling also should be an option.

I am a freedom lover, so long as those using freedom isn't using it to oppress or hold back anyone else. I am conservative in all the good ways.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroPlumber View Post
I'm sorry, I just haven't had the experiences you mention. I strongly disagree that CA is an "insane state". I live here. My neighbors are not insane. The people I work with are not insane. The people my wife works with are not insane. The elected officials are not insane. You can disagree with them or criticise them without calling them insane. That's exactly the kind of dialogue you hear on talk radio and is exactly what I'm talking about.

I grew up in Texas at a time when there was no such thing as "open carry" in restaurants and grocery stores. I think that is INSANE.
I hope your Stockholm Syndrome gets better sometime. I really do. You're in my prayers for the week. I mean look at you going off.. oh such and such isn't insane, oh they aren't insane.. LOL. I am getting a kick out of this. Again though, you're in my prayers and hope your Stockholm Syndrome cures at some point. Gooday.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:21 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,571,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex N Cal View Post
There are a few things that we dislike about Houston. I don't mean to bash the city, as there are plenty of Houston haters, but I think we'd be happier elsewhere. For one, the weather is a big issue. The heat and humidity are pretty tough to deal with, especially after living in California. Sure, you can still drink a few beers in the shade, go swimming, shop at the air conditioned mall or stay inside the house and watch TV to deal with the heat/humidity, but that's about it. California just spoiled us with great weather and scenic beauty. I always wanted to move West as I grew up and being near gold country was amazing. Houston has some areas that are pretty, but by and large, it is flat and there is concrete everywhere. I usually compare Houston to Los Angeles as they are both cities with massive sprawl. Traffic is horrible in Houston as well (I know Sacramento, like any larger city, has it's share of traffic congestion too). Houston doesn't have any kind of mass transit system, so everyone has a vehicle and they are all on the freeway. As for culture, I think Houston has plenty of culture. It has a massive museum district, a major performing arts center (2nd to NYC I think) and there was an article posted in the Houston Forum about Houston being the largest international city in the U.S. over NYC now. You'll find plenty of restaurants specializing in cuisine from around the world to delicious Texas BBQ. I would say that Houston is still a city struggling with an identity as it's the nations 4th largest city, but doesn't get the "street cred" of LA, NYC, Chicago, etc. In the end, we can make Houston home until retirement, but if we have it our way, we'll live elsewhere. Good luck with your decision.
Thanks for the info. I only mildly considered the move to Houston. I love California too much and Sac in particular. The idea of a pay raise and no state income tax equates to about a $500 net increase in my take home per month, so it got me thinking. At the end of the day though I believe I'd really miss the ocean, the mountains, and plenty of other things about California.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:40 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,571,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
There's definitely some truth to this. I think the thing about government salaries and benefits was true 20 or 30 years ago, but things have changed since then. Government salaries are pretty much in line with, or even above private sector ones nowadays, with the exception of high level jobs. And the generous pension benefits are just unheard of....so most government workers make out better than they would in private industry in both salary and benefits.
Actually my career paid up to $20k less than the private sector when I started 10 yrs ago. I started at $35k while most of my friends/classmates had signed on for $55k. By yr 3 they were in the $70k+ range while I was around $53k. I thought about leaving the state and in fact received several job offers from private sector emoyers while simply doing my work (which dispells the myth that all state workers are slackers). I nearly took one of those jobs because with student loan and other college debt, commuting costs and a new car payment I was barely making enough to survive with a roommate.

I held on for a couple more yrs and was determined to leave. I began submitting resumes everywhere shortly before the economy unexpectedly tanked. I really had no intention staying and did moreso by default. It was around that time that I began to hear the outrage and backlash against state workers. I always thought " hey, you didn't want my job before and you only want it now because you lost yours and I kept mine".

When I hired on I had no concept of building a retirement fund. Lol, in fact, I asked if I could opt out. I was young and in perfect health, so health insurance meant nothing. After yrs of waiting tables in college, I just wanted to do professional work and be paid like a professional. Now that I am 10 yrs older I appreciate those benefits, but I am still considering leaving. Most private sector jobs which require a college degree offer 401(K) matching and full health care benefits. Sometimes people forget that.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:36 AM

4,021 posts, read 3,301,161 times
If the private sector paid up to $20k more for your position, why didn't or don't you take it? It seems like you don't particularly value the retirement benefits?

Old 10-20-2014, 11:44 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCountry80 View Post
I hope your Stockholm Syndrome gets better sometime.
Just curious: Do you live in California? If so, why?

Old 10-20-2014, 12:06 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post
A

Explain what is stopping you from applying for a job at the State? For any job that requires a college degree, you realize you'll get paid less at the state V a private company, right?

The "good" life is subjective. When I graduated college, most people considered the state the shyt life. Low pay and no chance to diversify your skillset to keep climbimg the career ladder. Then the economy tanked and the perception of state work changed dramatically.

This is what I call "speculative career investing" lol. Hindsight is always 20/20 with any decision involving money.
I have four relatives who work for the State. Believe me, they are not there to "serve" the public.

As for me, I can't possibly be a part of something I don't believe in.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:34 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post
....It was around that time that I began to hear the outrage and backlash against state workers. I always thought " hey, you didn't want my job before and you only want it now because you lost yours and I kept mine". ....
Nah, I never wanted your job. The outrage was about wasteful spending and absurd pensions and benefits on the tax payers' back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento