Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 07:20 PM

14 posts, read 16,831 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am a 33y/o single woman who will be relocating to the Sacramento area sometime after the first of the year. I am hoping that this forum can assist me in gathering some information on the area as well as securing information on the best areas to look for rental property. My needs include the fact that I do not drive due to a disability so I would require access to public transportation. I do have a small/medium size dog. As far as employment (I am currently on SSDI) and am unsure what the rates are for 1 bedrooms are in these areas.
I would be most happy to hear suggestions of good areas to check into as well as areas to avoid.
Thanks so much

Last edited by NY1881; 10-12-2014 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 07:31 PM

447 posts, read 648,570 times
I have only visited sacramento but it seems to have a good transportation system to utilize. I looked into the area for work and housing and it has its affordable areas just make sure they are safe also I believe the city has low income housing and more being built good luck and welcome to the area

Old 10-13-2014, 01:06 AM

527 posts, read 1,318,279 times
Like all cities, the Sacramento "area" has 1 bedroom apartments (I'm assuming that's what you meant) from 500-1500 dollars depending on location. As far as areas to avoid, you should specify what it is you are trying to avoid, because that can be any number of things.

Public Transit links:

Sacramento Regional Transit District Home Page

Placer County Transit (PCT)

El Dorado County Transit Authority - Home

Old 10-13-2014, 10:37 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,331,897 times
Definitely look into low income housing options. You can start here:

Affordable Housing | Sacramento Housing AllianceSacramento Housing Alliance

How to Apply

You shouldn't have any trouble finding public housing that will let you have your dog, but in case you have trouble finding an apt that accepts dogs:

If your dog is not technically a service dog, you can still get a note from your doctor saying you need the dog as an "emotional support animal." Then, you ask your landlord for a "reasonable accommodation" for your disability. The landlord must then allow you to have your dog. The only exception is if the dog is a breed that would cause the landlord to lose his insurance, but since you have a small dog, that shouldn't be an issue. For instance, a pit bull could be denied as a support animal, if the landlord could show that he'd lose his insurance, etc., by having that dog on his property.

Also, if the dog is a "reasonable accommodation" for your disability, as an emotional support animal, you landlord can't collect a security deposit for the dog, either.

http://www.disabilityrightsca.org/pubs/548301.pdf

I was an apt manager in CA, and am now disabled with my own emotional support dog, which is how I know this stuff.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:51 AM

Thank you everyone that has replied so far.

Thanks @No Snow. I do have a letter from my Dr. regarding the fact that she is a "support" for me since she technically isn't a service animal. I wasn't sure how all of that work coming from Idaho-CA? If I would need more than a letter? She is a Boston/mix, weighs about 30lbs and is house and crate trained.

@Rob, as far as what I am trying to avoid, that is a good Question.
I think I'm basically looking for a safe area for a single gal. I know no place is perfect. But I need to find a place where I can get to transportation pretty easily. My goal is to find a place that doesn't have a high crime rate, where I would feel safe walking if I needed to to get (groceries, or prescriptions). Honestly I feel spoiled coming my current location I can walk to my grocery store, gym, pharmacy and take the bus to work/doctor) I just want to find a place that I feel safe and secure more than anything.

@Boise- Thank you for your kind words and encouraging words. Are you from Idaho??

Old 10-15-2014, 12:26 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,802,458 times
OP, we have discussed this topic in the Sacramento forum before, and as I recall a number of resources were given. I can't remember the thread name, but if you scroll through the posts you may be able to find it. I'm sorry, but I can't locate it right now.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:22 PM

Thanks @caligirlz I'll do some digging. I'm really glad to have found this site. And I appreciate everyone's help.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY1881 View Post
Thank you everyone that has replied so far.

Thanks @No Snow. I do have a letter from my Dr. regarding the fact that she is a "support" for me since she technically isn't a service animal. I wasn't sure how all of that work coming from Idaho-CA? If I would need more than a letter? She is a Boston/mix, weighs about 30lbs and is house and crate trained.
No, you don't need to get the dog "certified" or anything. That document I gave you a link to should explain everything.

But, basically, you are disabled, and disabled people are entitled to a "reasonable accommodation" that allows them to live in the apartment comfortably. Your emotional support animal helps you for your disability. Landlords must allow you a reasonable accommodation. It's kind of like asking them for a handicap parking space or a bar in your shower, etc. As long as the accommodation is reasonable, and won't put the landlord into a difficult financial position, etc., they must allow it.

So, you get a letter from your doctor or therapist (doesn't matter if the doctor was in another state), and I'm pretty sure there's a sample letter in that document I linked. Then you write a short letter to the landlord asking for a reasonable accommodation for your disability, by allowing you to have your emotional support dog.

Then, the landlord is not allowed to collect a pet deposit, either. When you have time, read that document. It explains it all.

I think it helps that you have a dog that is the size that most places will allow, anyway. That's one reason I got a rat terrier (22 pounds), too. I didn't want other tenants asking, "Hey, why do YOU get to have a big dog, etc." Dogs are allowed here up to 25 pounds, so only the manager knows she's an emotional support dog.

Good luck to you.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:10 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,802,458 times
I think this is the thread I was thinking of: //www.city-data.com/forum/sacra...ed-couple.html

Old 10-16-2014, 06:58 PM

Well, if a person doesn't have to be in the Sacramento area, and can stand the heat, Redding is much more affordable, and has all the shopping, recreation, public transportation, and relative safety, you can get. But, I can't stand the heat, so I will be moving.

Another affordable, but inexpensive and much cooler area, is Crescent City. Not sure about safety, but with all those prison guards living in town, should be manageable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento