Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 03:42 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,423,207 times

Advertisements

Hi folks - I'm a transplanted Kentuckian to the Bay Area who is curious about visiting Sac-town and would like to do a day trip, or perhaps a weekend up there via public transportation. I could easily get to Amtrak via public transport in the East Bay, but what are my options from the SAC Amtrak station? Other questions:

1) Is the area around SAC Amtrak relatively decent? I know most train stations aren't in the best of hoods and I can handle a bit of blight, but want to avoid if particularly unsafe.

2) What are some cool things to see and do? I like sports (basketball mostly, but football, baseball and hockey also in that order), the arts, am a fan of aviation and really all forms of transportation history, and like to also learn about the history of the area. Are there good local history museums relatively nearby to the train station as well as other educational attractions other than a tour of the Capitol building?

3) How is the public transport in the city? I've only stopped at a shopping center in Eastern suburbia on my way to Reno, so I really don't know much about what the city has to offer in that regard, although I feel like I recall a light rail system.

Other things I should know? I've lived in the Inland East Bay since April, so I understand the temperature stuff is pretty similar up there, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 05:14 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
I like sports (basketball mostly, but football, baseball and hockey also in that order), the arts, am a fan of aviation and really all forms of transportation history, and like to also learn about the history of the area. Are there good local history museums relatively nearby to the train station as well as other educational attractions other than a tour of the Capitol building?
The River Cats baseball or a Kings game depending on what time of year you are going. And definitely Old Town Sacramento. The train museum there is awesome.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:01 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,306,051 times
If you take Amtrak you have basically three stops in the Sacramento region that you could use as drop off points, the primary train stop for the region is in downtown Sacramento, its fairly close to downtown Sacramento and there are easy connections to Sacramento's light rail system. The train station itself is safe day and night and the neighborhood immediately surrounding the train station is safe during the day time and generally safe at night if you have common sense. (don't walk around drunk or leave valuables unattended). Amtrak also has stops in Davis or Roseville that might give you additional options and places to check out. If you were so inclined. Of three stops Amtrak stops in the area, Davis is probably in the safest neighborhood with lots of college kids mingling about at all hours of the day and night.

That said if you can its a lot faster and generally a lot cheaper to take the Megabus from San Francisco to Sacramento. I have paid 10 dollars round trip between Sac and and SF. The Megabus drops you off at the 65 Street light rail station near Sacramento State University. More importantly the Megabus takes about 70 to 80 minutes to get from Sacramento to San Francisco whereas Amtrak seems to be closer to about 2 and half hours to 3 hours. The 65th light rail station is safe during the day and at night also reasonably safe if you have common sense. I mention that because if you are doing a day trip, the longer you spend coming and going, the less time you have to actually spend time in Sacramento unless you are planning on spending the night.

If you did want to spend the night you might want to check out the Sacramento Youth Hostel. The building is historic and price is pretty cheap.

Sacramento Hostel | Sacramento Hostel

I will let other people describe the charms of various attractions in the Sacramento region.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:19 PM

Thanks for the tips so far. I'm 38, and I've done hostels before, but is a youth hostel any different? I honestly hadn't checked, or just assumed it wasn't for me if I was over 25-ish. Not sure if my wife would be up for joining me or not, and I doubt she'd be down with the hostel.

I prefer rail for the nostalgia. I take an express bus every day for work, so I could do without the Megabus, but thanks for offering that option.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:40 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,280,905 times
The hostel they're referring to is not specifically a youth hostel, but it is a nice place, located in an . If you decide to stay overnight and are looking for somewhere comfortable but still charming, the Citizen Hotel is worth a look; it's a converted 1925 office building that is now a boutique hotel. But there are other, more unique options--see below.

The Sacramento Amtrak depot is in the heart of downtown Sacramento, and within short walking distance of Old Sacramento. It sounds like you would be interested in some of the attractions there. But don't miss the depot building itself, a 1920s Renaissance Revival building, although it is currently undergoing a rehab so its main lobby is a bit in disarray right now. As you arrive, next to the Amtrak platform you'll also notice the Sacramento Locomotive Works, otherwise known as the Southern Pacific Shops, the only place west of Pennsylvania where full-sized steam locomotives were built, and the main fabrication, repair and maintenance facility for the Southern Pacific Railroad. The handful of surviving Shops buildings are off-limits but several are planned for a future expansion of the Railroad Museum mentioned below.

First off is the California State Railroad Museum, one of the finest museums of its type in the country. It is located on 2nd and I Street, the first thing you see passing west under Interstate 5 from the train station. If you come on a weekend through mid-November, the Sacramento Southern Railroad will still be operating its excursion trains, a 40 minute round trip along the Sacramento River aboard a 1920s consist, currently pulled by a 1950s diesel-electric locomotive while their 1942 steam locomotive is undergoing repair. Don't miss CSRM's Central Pacific Passenger Depot, along Front Street to the southwest of the Museum, where more of their collection is stored, or the Huntington-Hopkins Hardware Store, a reconstructed version of the hardware store where the founders of the Central Pacific incorporated their railroad (originally located a few blocks away under Interstate 5.)

West of CSRM is the Sacramento History Museum, at 101 I Street. The museum focuses on the Gold Rush and early Sacramento history, and is the starting point for the popular Underground Sidewalks Tours, which takes visitors under Old Sacramento sidewalks for an up-close look at how and why Sacramento raised its downtown streets by a story in the 1860s.

South of CSRM and the Sacramento History Museum, along the waterfront, is the Delta King, the last paddlewheel riverboat (along with its sister craft the Delta Queen) to carry passengers between Sacramento and San Francisco, from 1927 until 1940. It's also a hotel, so if you decide against the Citizen, you can stay right on the river! Even if you decide not to stay on the riverboat hotel, you can visit its restaurant or Pilothouse Bar.

If you visit in November, there will probably be a tall ship in the harbor, the Hawaiian Chieftain. It's a 1988 recreation of a 19th century sailing vessel that offers rides on the Sacramento River. There are also river cruises offered by Hornblower.

The rest of Old Sacramento is worth a stroll--a dozen or so bars, at least that many restaurants, and assorted shops. A lot of them are tourist-quality T-shirts and candy, but there are some unique offerings like Christmas & Co./Chef's Mercantile, Evangeline, and The Chef's Olive Mix. Dining options vary from Indo Cafe (Indonesian food--ask for the "Indonesian menu" if you want more challenging fare) and Fanny Ann's (a four-story bar with novel decor, great for burgers and wings) to the white-tablecloth Firehouse Restaurant and farm-to-fork/seasonal Ten22.

If you want to get a bit out of Old Sacramento, you can rent bicycles from Practical Cycle in Old Sacramento. Within a short ride down Front Street and over Interstate 5 are the Crocker Art Museum, founded by Central Pacific lead attorney Edwin Bryant Crocker, and the oldest art collection on the west coast. It recently expanded into a large, modern building that expanded the original 1870s museum and 1850s family home (part of the museum) dramatically. Less highbrow but equally interesting, farther down Front Street near where I-5 and Highway 50 cross, is an unassuming warehouse containing the California Auto Museum. If you're a car fan, this will be your favorite stop of the trip.

Moving farther east, there are a few other museum attractions worth visiting: the California State Capitol Museum and Capitol Park, which are a highly underrated and rarely visited place, but really worth the trip--plus, they're free. Just leave your pocketknife at home, because you have to pass through a metal detector to enter. The Leland Stanford Mansion and Historic Governor's Mansion are also fun to visit and both have a connection to Central Pacific Railroad and transportation (via railroad president Leland Stanford, and Huntington-Hopkins company president Albert Gallatin.)

For aviation history, you won't be able to get there via Amtrak--the Aerospace Museum of California is located on the decommissioned McClellan Air Force Base east of Sacramento. Getting there via public transit is kind of a journey, requiring a transfer from one light rail to another, then transferring to a bus and a walk through a not-so-great part of Sacramento County.

Our AAA baseball team the Rivercats play over the river in West Sacramento (just over the Tower Bridge from Old Sacramento) but their season is wrapped up for the year--the Kings play up in Arco Arena, the new downtown facility won't be done for another couple of years.

That should be enough to get you started--there is a lot more east of I-5 beyond the six blocks of Old Sacramento and the handful of museums mentioned, but you probably have enough there for a couple of trips.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:27 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,149,277 times
Excellent info wburg I enjoy reading your posts about all the "to dos" while in Sacramento.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:22 AM

6,904 posts, read 8,271,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
Thanks for the tips so far. I'm 38, and I've done hostels before, but is a youth hostel any different? I honestly hadn't checked, or just assumed it wasn't for me if I was over 25-ish. Not sure if my wife would be up for joining me or not, and I doubt she'd be down with the hostel.

I prefer rail for the nostalgia. I take an express bus every day for work, so I could do without the Megabus, but thanks for offering that option.
The Hostel is beautiful and you can get private rooms with private baths, check-out their website.

My partner and I are locals and we stayed at the Hostel 2 nights on a "staycation". It was a good experience and we meet some really nice people. Most of the guests those nights were travelers from Europe. Young and Old alike. Hope you have a good time in Sacramento!

Old 10-16-2014, 10:47 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,652,209 times
Wow, wburg. You really outdid yourself with that post. Bravo. I would add that if it's a nice day and the OP is okay walking a few miles in the day, most of what you listed is do-able on foot. The Auto Museum is about the furthest afield (aside from the Aerospace Museum) and is only about 1.3 miles from the train station. That said, if it's museums that interest you, your feet will be aching from a day of walking and standing. The bike rental recommendation is a good one, and you could also take advantage of a cheap Lyft or Uber ride from Old Sac to the Auto Museum. The Capitol and much of the center city is accessible by public transit (light rail and bus), but the Auto Museum, less so.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:34 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
The Capitol Corridor Amtrak train from the Bay Area to Sacramento is a great ride! I have taken that train a lot, and just love it. It will take you through the delta once you get out past Martinez, so you are in the middle of basically a swamp with birds like herons, etc., then through farm land around Dixon and Davis. It's really nice and relaxing. My favorite seat is in the dining car, and is a little one-seater that sits in front of a window in a corner. That way, you can actually face the scenery and have your own private little space. And a beer...

Other than what you've heard to do in Sacramento, if you enjoy street antique fairs, there is one in Martinez every year, and the train station is smack dab in the middle of downtown. You get off the train and you are in the fair. I used to do it every year when I lived in Davis.

The Martinez Peddlers Faire :: Downtown Martinez :: The Antique & Collectible Capitol of Contra Costa County

Another fun thing to do via train is go to Picnic Day in Davis. The train station in Davis is also right in downtown in a nice area, and the campus is just about 5 blocks away. Easy, flat walk to the all-campus event. Best to get there early and watch the parade that goes through downtown. And don't miss the dachshund races. I always laughed until my face hurt.

Picnic Day

Another big event in Davis, if you're into patchouli oil and tie-dye shirts, is the Whole Earth Festival:

Whole Earth Festival | UC Davis Quad, May 8th, 9th & 10th

Going the other way into San Jose, the tracks go through mainly ugly areas, so it's not attractive. But, the train station in San Jose is right across the street basically from the HP Pavilion, or whatever it's new name is now. A really fun thing to do there, is go to the Sabercats games - arena football. A real blast, and it's indoors, so the temperature is always just right.

http://thesanjosesabercats.com/

You can also take the train to San Jose, then grab the Amtrak bus to Santa Cruz, but the bus station in Santa Cruz is not an easy walk to the beach.

Enjoy the train and your day trips. I don't like taking overnight trips on trains, but I love using it for day trips.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
The hostel they're referring to is not specifically a youth hostel, but it is a nice place, located in an . If you decide to stay overnight and are looking for somewhere comfortable but still charming, the Citizen Hotel is worth a look; it's a converted 1925 office building that is now a boutique hotel. But there are other, more unique options--see below.

The Sacramento Amtrak depot is in the heart of downtown Sacramento, and within short walking distance of Old Sacramento. It sounds like you would be interested in some of the attractions there. But don't miss the depot building itself, a 1920s Renaissance Revival building, although it is currently undergoing a rehab so its main lobby is a bit in disarray right now. As you arrive, next to the Amtrak platform you'll also notice the Sacramento Locomotive Works, otherwise known as the Southern Pacific Shops, the only place west of Pennsylvania where full-sized steam locomotives were built, and the main fabrication, repair and maintenance facility for the Southern Pacific Railroad. The handful of surviving Shops buildings are off-limits but several are planned for a future expansion of the Railroad Museum mentioned below.

First off is the California State Railroad Museum, one of the finest museums of its type in the country. It is located on 2nd and I Street, the first thing you see passing west under Interstate 5 from the train station. If you come on a weekend through mid-November, the Sacramento Southern Railroad will still be operating its excursion trains, a 40 minute round trip along the Sacramento River aboard a 1920s consist, currently pulled by a 1950s diesel-electric locomotive while their 1942 steam locomotive is undergoing repair. Don't miss CSRM's Central Pacific Passenger Depot, along Front Street to the southwest of the Museum, where more of their collection is stored, or the Huntington-Hopkins Hardware Store, a reconstructed version of the hardware store where the founders of the Central Pacific incorporated their railroad (originally located a few blocks away under Interstate 5.)

West of CSRM is the Sacramento History Museum, at 101 I Street. The museum focuses on the Gold Rush and early Sacramento history, and is the starting point for the popular Underground Sidewalks Tours, which takes visitors under Old Sacramento sidewalks for an up-close look at how and why Sacramento raised its downtown streets by a story in the 1860s.

South of CSRM and the Sacramento History Museum, along the waterfront, is the Delta King, the last paddlewheel riverboat (along with its sister craft the Delta Queen) to carry passengers between Sacramento and San Francisco, from 1927 until 1940. It's also a hotel, so if you decide against the Citizen, you can stay right on the river! Even if you decide not to stay on the riverboat hotel, you can visit its restaurant or Pilothouse Bar.

If you visit in November, there will probably be a tall ship in the harbor, the Hawaiian Chieftain. It's a 1988 recreation of a 19th century sailing vessel that offers rides on the Sacramento River. There are also river cruises offered by Hornblower.

The rest of Old Sacramento is worth a stroll--a dozen or so bars, at least that many restaurants, and assorted shops. A lot of them are tourist-quality T-shirts and candy, but there are some unique offerings like Christmas & Co./Chef's Mercantile, Evangeline, and The Chef's Olive Mix. Dining options vary from Indo Cafe (Indonesian food--ask for the "Indonesian menu" if you want more challenging fare) and Fanny Ann's (a four-story bar with novel decor, great for burgers and wings) to the white-tablecloth Firehouse Restaurant and farm-to-fork/seasonal Ten22.

If you want to get a bit out of Old Sacramento, you can rent bicycles from Practical Cycle in Old Sacramento. Within a short ride down Front Street and over Interstate 5 are the Crocker Art Museum, founded by Central Pacific lead attorney Edwin Bryant Crocker, and the oldest art collection on the west coast. It recently expanded into a large, modern building that expanded the original 1870s museum and 1850s family home (part of the museum) dramatically. Less highbrow but equally interesting, farther down Front Street near where I-5 and Highway 50 cross, is an unassuming warehouse containing the California Auto Museum. If you're a car fan, this will be your favorite stop of the trip.

Moving farther east, there are a few other museum attractions worth visiting: the California State Capitol Museum and Capitol Park, which are a highly underrated and rarely visited place, but really worth the trip--plus, they're free. Just leave your pocketknife at home, because you have to pass through a metal detector to enter. The Leland Stanford Mansion and Historic Governor's Mansion are also fun to visit and both have a connection to Central Pacific Railroad and transportation (via railroad president Leland Stanford, and Huntington-Hopkins company president Albert Gallatin.)

For aviation history, you won't be able to get there via Amtrak--the Aerospace Museum of California is located on the decommissioned McClellan Air Force Base east of Sacramento. Getting there via public transit is kind of a journey, requiring a transfer from one light rail to another, then transferring to a bus and a walk through a not-so-great part of Sacramento County.

Our AAA baseball team the Rivercats play over the river in West Sacramento (just over the Tower Bridge from Old Sacramento) but their season is wrapped up for the year--the Kings play up in Arco Arena, the new downtown facility won't be done for another couple of years.

That should be enough to get you started--there is a lot more east of I-5 beyond the six blocks of Old Sacramento and the handful of museums mentioned, but you probably have enough there for a couple of trips.
Fantastic post wburg. Thank you for all the detail, I really appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento