Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 07:57 PM

762 posts, read 2,029,734 times

Advertisements

Dusting of gangs, abundance of Hispanics, decent enough
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 03:53 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,158,614 times
Woodland is an exurb of Sacramento. Basically a suburb seperated from Sacramento city limits by about 12 miles of farmland.

It is a blue collar cowtown, that had rural land paved over with suburban tracts and strip malls. The older part of town and downtown is in the central part of town near the railroad tracks.

Generally speaking it ranges from working class to lower middle class. It is a majority latino, with a sizeable white minority.

The schools aren't very good in terms of student performance and the town is known to have minor and even moderate gang issues .

Boston red sox player Dustin Pedroia grew up there. When asked to describe his hometown, he called Woodland "a dump". Maybe a little harsh, but the general consensus is that Woodland is a low brow community.

Last edited by NorCal Dude; 10-31-2014 at 05:18 AM..

Old 11-01-2014, 08:49 PM

10 posts, read 15,060 times
But watch out: Extremely high crime. I won't go there at night, and would never raise kids there. Lots of shooting, stabbings, robberies.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:29 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,672,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilknarf View Post
But watch out: Extremely high crime. I won't go there at night, and would never raise kids there. Lots of shooting, stabbings, robberies.
Where did you live in Woodland that validates this observation?

Old 11-02-2014, 03:46 PM

762 posts, read 2,029,734 times
It's a lot better than the valley towns SOUTH of Sac. It's only real issue is the nortenos etc. If you don't run in those circles you are removed from issue.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:49 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times
I don't see any real reason to live in Woodland, in my opinion it's unattractive and boring. Rent is cheaper than Vacaville, Dixon and Davis so it attracts a fair number of folks who are marginally employed. They have a fair amount of property crime but I have never thought of it as a 'dangerous' place to live

Old 09-29-2015, 08:33 AM

144 posts, read 196,445 times
I lived in Woodland back in the late 80's - early 90's... I thought it was a great place to live. Small town feel with Sacramento being only a 15 min drive and SF being roughly 1.5 hour drive depending on traffic and time of day...I do agree that there is a large hispanic population but there is also a large anglo / white population to pretty much even things out....As for crime, it's not much different than most other cities... just stay out of the rougher neighborhoods and you should be fine...I've gone back to visit the last two years and not much seems to really have changed since I lived there...... I actually wouldn't be opposed to moving back at some point....

Old 12-03-2015, 04:04 PM
fbt

1 posts, read 1,928 times
it's a kind of a sleepy farm town, relatively safe and affordable for the area. Downtown shows promise, but just about 2 yrs ago got it's first real coffeeshop (despite the UCD students who live here). Lots of beautiful old buildings, and a trend toward more upscale offerings (it'll never be Davis tho). Some petty crime (I've had several bikes stolen in a few months, locks just cut, while at home), but I'd feel safe walking after dark in most (not quite all) of woodland (and I'm not exactly imposing looking). Lousy restaurants. Most of the comments above seem spot on to me, having lived here for a few years. You see a lot of retired white farmers, younger hispanic families, and students from UCD trying to save a bit on rent. That's pretty much it here. The economy is tomato & rice farming, county seat, and eldercare...unbelievable # of nursing homes (actually quite decent and fairly affordable). Lots of fundie churches, NRA bumper stickers, etc. As an older caucasian male I find everyone just super friendly...but I imagine if you were a gay black male it might not be the most welcoming community (it's a bit Mayberry). That's a guess tho, but I bet it's right. Woodland is as retro as Davis is progressive, in a sense. The almost exact opposite of Long Beach, CA, which I also like (for completely opposite reasons, ofc!).

Old 12-04-2015, 12:20 AM

117 posts, read 149,703 times
I see this post got resurrected almost a year later. I actually spent almost a full day here about 10 years ago. Went with the family to this area and paid a visit to this town.

I can't say anything about this place one way or another but it would definitely be the kind of place to live if you just wanted to live somewhere quietly and get away from everyone. After awhile all these towns that run through the central part of California start looking the same.

I will say this though...Any town that has a historical area named Dead Cat Alley can't be all that bad.

CaliGirlz - in the downtown area on Main Street I ate at a BBQ place and it was really good, I think it was Ludy's. The Buckhorn Saloon in Winters is on my restaurant Bucket List!

Last edited by Another Place; 12-04-2015 at 12:38 AM..

Old 12-04-2015, 12:34 AM

117 posts, read 149,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbt View Post
it's a kind of a sleepy farm town, relatively safe and affordable for the area. Downtown shows promise, but just about 2 yrs ago got it's first real coffeeshop (despite the UCD students who live here). Lots of beautiful old buildings, and a trend toward more upscale offerings (it'll never be Davis tho). Some petty crime (I've had several bikes stolen in a few months, locks just cut, while at home), but I'd feel safe walking after dark in most (not quite all) of woodland (and I'm not exactly imposing looking). Lousy restaurants. Most of the comments above seem spot on to me, having lived here for a few years. You see a lot of retired white farmers, younger hispanic families, and students from UCD trying to save a bit on rent. That's pretty much it here. The economy is tomato & rice farming, county seat, and eldercare...unbelievable # of nursing homes (actually quite decent and fairly affordable). Lots of fundie churches, NRA bumper stickers, etc. As an older caucasian male I find everyone just super friendly...but I imagine if you were a gay black male it might not be the most welcoming community (it's a bit Mayberry). That's a guess tho, but I bet it's right. Woodland is as retro as Davis is progressive, in a sense. The almost exact opposite of Long Beach, CA, which I also like (for completely opposite reasons, ofc!).
Of course...you do.

Long beach is my adopted home town. Lived all over it in the 80's and I miss it very much. But like they say, you can't go back. You know what's weird? When you've lived in in a number of completely different places and you get into a discussion with someone who's lived in the same small town their whole life and when you get into a discussion with them about other places they haven't a clue what you're talking about.

Woodland reminds me of towns like Selma, Sanger and Hanford that are in the lower SJV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento