U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 07:10 AM

119 posts, read 253,656 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I see a lot of "Elk Grove" followed by the words gang, pot house, criminals etc.

The purpose of this forum is to convey information to help people. With that in mind let me make some corrections.

Elk Grove is a gigantic triangle the main base runs around Elk Grove Blvd near I5 all the way east of 99. The top of the triangle touches upon the bottom of South Sac.

All of those stereotypes (gangs, pot houses etc.) apply to the top of the triangle, but not the other parts.

The western part near I5 has many HOA communities like StoneLake, Lakeside and Laguna West. Think 3000+ sq ft homes, CA distinguished schools and club houses with pools etc. Many UCDavis Med faculty live there. In addition a pharmacy (California Northstate University College of Pharmacy) school and many elderly nursing homes are there. For a time there it was terrific value for money $300K in 2010 got you a 3000 sq ft home on 0.2 acres. Now those same homes go for $500K. The commute up,I5 in the morning is great apart from 8-9am.

The east side has lots of larger area properties. Many are on 1 acre and the shopping is mostly concentrated there. The commute up 99 sucks though.

The middle of the triangle is non HOA homes.,the upper middle is older (80s/90s) and is holding up,well. It has excellent schools but aging in place is starting to effect this and also since the homes are relatively speaking small. The bottom of the triangle (south of EG Blvd) is new homes but the lack of a HOA is hurting them. Also many investors bought there so your neighbors can be renters.

I'm also happy to answer questions. Except from Majin who seems to be a troll!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 08:50 AM

1,917 posts, read 2,203,440 times
Elk Grove is more pleasant than South Sac, and to the extent it has problems, they are spillovers.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:24 AM

4 posts, read 7,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
Elk Grove is more pleasant than South Sac, and to the extent it has problems, they are spillovers.
Apart from the top of the triangle, Elk Grove is much better than South Sac and was a bargain until recently. There are still some good buys but you have to look.

This show what I'm talking about.

You'll see the west side contains lots of upmarket, gated communities, lakes etc. The east side is more rural but the top of the triangle near the 99 and Calvine area borders on some really rough parts of Sacramento.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:52 AM

3,310 posts, read 3,849,629 times
I am planning to move to the area over by Target on Calvine, off of Alpine Frost. It is a street that is tucked in deep into the neighborhood and the house is on what appears to be a nice cul-de-sac. Will I be able to feel safe leaving my windows open at night?

Old 10-28-2014, 12:07 PM

119 posts, read 253,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I am planning to move to the area over by Target on Calvine, off of Alpine Frost. It is a street that is tucked in deep into the neighborhood and the house is on what appears to be a nice cul-de-sac. Will I be able to feel safe leaving my windows open at night?
Hmmm, I wouldn't recommend leaving my windows open anyway these days.

That area would be the Target near Consumnes College and near the Costco right?

That part is okay (not great) in terms of safety, but the area just north of it is the infamous Mack road. There is a lot of section 8 housing near that Mack Road area. Now before people start flaming me, Section-8 = Poor but of course Poor <> Bad but typically Bad = Poor (its tough getting a good paying job if you have a criminal record).

If you want something safer, south of Elk Grove Blvd and North of Whitlock Parkway areas like Cresligh Ranch have lots of cheaper homes to rent. $1500 will get you a nice 4 Br 2000+ sq ft home and its very far from south sacraento. I wouldn't buy there necessarily because the lack of a HOA means things can go downhill quickly and many investors are buying there.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:12 PM

3,310 posts, read 3,849,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontKnowIfImComingOrGoing View Post

That part is okay (not great) in terms of safety, but the area just north of it is the infamous Mack road. There is a lot of section 8 housing near that Mack Road area. Now before people start flaming me, Section-8 = Poor but of course Poor <> Bad but typically Bad = Poor (its tough getting a good paying job if you have a criminal record).

If you want something safer, south of Elk Grove Blvd and North of Whitlock Parkway areas like Cresligh Ranch have lots of cheaper homes to rent. $1500 will get you a nice 4 Br 2000+ sq ft home and its very far from south sacraento. I wouldn't buy there necessarily because the lack of a HOA means things can go downhill quickly and many investors are buying there.
Yeah no can afford Cresleigh Ranch or the like. But the house by Calvine is cheaper rent than the apartment at Laguna and Bruceville, so....And I have left my windows open every night since I moved here last year. I used to be scared when I was younger, and surely, if ONE thing happened I'd be shouting from the rooftops, close your windows!! close your windows!! But for now, I don't. I also only lock my place half the time, guess I've been lulled into a state of complacency.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:

NOTE: north of Mack Road is *not* Elk Grove. It is "un-City".

Old 10-28-2014, 01:49 PM

1,358 posts, read 765,909 times
Quote:
Hi,

I see a lot of "Elk Grove" followed by the words gang, pot house, criminals etc.

The purpose of this forum is to convey information to help people. With that in mind let me make some corrections.

Elk Grove is a gigantic triangle the main base runs around Elk Grove Blvd near I5 all the way east of 99. The top of the triangle touches upon the bottom of South Sac.

All of those stereotypes (gangs, pot houses etc.) apply to the top of the triangle, but not the other parts.

The western part near I5 has many HOA communities like StoneLake, Lakeside and Laguna West. Think 3000+ sq ft homes, CA distinguished schools and club houses with pools etc. Many UCDavis Med faculty live there. In addition a pharmacy (California Northstate University College of Pharmacy) school and many elderly nursing homes are there. For a time there it was terrific value for money $300K in 2010 got you a 3000 sq ft home on 0.2 acres. Now those same homes go for $500K. The commute up,I5 in the morning is great apart from 8-9am.

The east side has lots of larger area properties. Many are on 1 acre and the shopping is mostly concentrated there. The commute up 99 sucks though.

The middle of the triangle is non HOA homes.,the upper middle is older (80s/90s) and is holding up,well. It has excellent schools but aging in place is starting to effect this and also since the homes are relatively speaking small. The bottom of the triangle (south of EG Blvd) is new homes but the lack of a HOA is hurting them. Also many investors bought there so your neighbors can be renters.

I'm also happy to answer questions. Except from Majin who seems to be a troll!
Why are there such haters in regard to EG ( I don't live there but have acquaintances that do and they love it. Some of my kids attended PGHS and K Albiani...both excellent schools)?

However, I find Majin's posts humorous so if you're going to post negatively I guess make it funny in some way

Old 10-28-2014, 03:10 PM

137 posts, read 166,689 times
My question is why is Elk Grove experiencing dramatic white flight? What long term ramifications do you expect from this?

Old 10-28-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay West View Post
My question is why is Elk Grove experiencing dramatic white flight? What long term ramifications do you expect from this?
A sharp Asian influx into Elk Grove does not make for a dramatic White flight out of it. Elk Grove's population has been sharply growing, not stagnating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or