Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 02:02 AM

528 posts, read 868,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
I don't know what posts you're reading. I've been following the Sacramento forum for a couple months now. Plenty of people very complimentary on the area. In my experience, the people who don't like Sacramento are ones looking for lots of night life, plenty of singles, and lots for young adults to do. I get the impression the city is more geared to families, but I'm sure many will argue even that.
Bingo! That's why its not a great fit for some people indefinitely. If you want endless open minded singles, this is not the place to be. More people into threesomes or couples looking for one or two more in Midtown probably and if you don't wanna be part of those weirdos, theres no real singles scene no. Nobody moving from all over the USA or even all over the world very often that you can just hook up with. Its like they're all from Sac or the Bay Area. No real diversity. And no, the racial diversity argument starts to become obsolete when you factor in everyone is from the same area born and raised. Then the diversity loses and its still boring like people see a racially homogenous place. I know its too deep for some people to get but that's how I see it.

And also if Sacramento wants to go for a big city feel, its not ever going to catch up to that. They can make a whole new Downtown Plaza all they want, fix up the downtown, put in more skyscrapers but guess what, they'll build it and people all over the world still won't come. It will be most of the same people already here now or more will come from just the Bay Area for a transplant base to replace the poor. To me that's boring. The whole point of being worldly is to at least be like Toronto or something, Washington D.C, perhaps Chicago but not sure. Sacramento town managers seem to want it to be just like these, only people from all over the world will never be drawn here so its just a dream. This will always be a small town/suburban way of thinking place. All there is to it.

Last edited by GoldCountry80; 11-05-2014 at 02:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 02:05 AM

528 posts, read 868,754 times
Quote:
LOTS of people here in the North Bay hate Sacramento. They think it's vanilla and bland and big box and hot. Most of them are "quaint town" kinda people who get all squeely-excited over towns with squares that offer lots of pretentious wine tasting shops and farmers markets and cosmopolitan overpriced restaurants with locally made art on the walls and GMO-free food. If you are that person then, yes, you will hate Sacramento.

I am not. I happen to like malls, warm nights, IKEA, affordable homes, a swimming pool I can use more than 3 weeks a year, and being close to I-5.

Whether you like ANY city depends entirely on what kinds of things matter to you. You have to take with a grain of salt the opinions of people who don't live there. It's why they don't live there. It's not for them. Doesn't mean it wouldn't be for you.
Or its very vanilla for a place with lots of racial diversity. You got all the different races, its majority minority but because everyones from the same city and nobody is imported in from anywhere else or very few are, its "vanilla" feeling so to speak.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:57 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,172,743 times
Because it is not an impressive city. Nothing really cool to see or do. Ask the locals what to do, and all you ger is some place to eat and drink coffee. It's a very boring town.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:06 AM

8,674 posts, read 17,309,543 times
NorCal Dude, what sort of things would you like to be able to do in Sacramento? You hear about places to eat and drink coffee because we're a particularly fantastic place for both of those things, but that's hardly all there is to do here.

Interesting that there seem to be some contrasting perspectives here:
Quote:
LOTS of people here in the North Bay hate Sacramento. They think it's vanilla and bland and big box and hot. Most of them are "quaint town" kinda people who get all squeely-excited over towns with squares that offer lots of pretentious wine tasting shops and farmers markets and cosmopolitan overpriced restaurants with locally made art on the walls and GMO-free food. If you are that person then, yes, you will hate Sacramento.

I am not. I happen to like malls, warm nights, IKEA, affordable homes, a swimming pool I can use more than 3 weeks a year, and being close to I-5.
And then there's this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
Before we moved from SF to the Sacramento area the typical comments were:

It's so hot

It's ghetto

However having moved to the area here's my observation:
I was surprised to see how many Victorians are in and around downtown Sacramento. East Sac, Landpark, and Curtis Park have charm and walkable neighborhoods. Midtown is a very walkable neighborhood that seems well suited for young people and empty nesters. My wife and I find ourselves traveling from the burbs to Midtown and nearby areas and enjoy the coffee houses, locally owned restaurants, farmers market and general vibe of the neighborhood and all these neighborhoods benefit from a beautiful tree canopy.

You can also take in a live music show at Ace of Spades or Broadway/musical at the Community Center Theatre. Just some stuff to do but by no means all.
There seems to be some disagreement as to whether we have coffeehouses/wine bars, local-sourcing restaurants, and farmer's markets, and as to whether the region's sole appeal is to the suburban homebody or the urban hipster. I like to think we're a little of both, and thus confusing to people who assume we can only be one or the other.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:31 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,172,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
NorCal Dude, what sort of things would you like to be able to do in Sacramento? You hear about places to eat and drink coffee because we're a particularly fantastic place for both of those things, but that's hardly all there is to do here.

Interesting that there seem to be some contrasting perspectives here:

And then there's this:

There seems to be some disagreement as to whether we have coffeehouses/wine bars, local-sourcing restaurants, and farmer's markets, and as to whether the region's sole appeal is to the suburban homebody or the urban hipster. I like to think we're a little of both, and thus confusing to people who assume we can only be one or the other.
All the amenities of Sacramento are underwhelming and subpar.

There really is nothing you can do in Sac, that can't be done in most cities and even suburbs.

Nothing cool to do or see.

I took my kids to a sharks game last weekend and the aquarium. Can I do either of those in Sac? Nope. Have they even legalized food trucks there, or is that silly law still around?

The opera and philharmonic cancelled their fall season. I don't know what is worse, the fact that there is no culture there, or the fact that people don't care.

It is so dull, the city has no pulse or energy. The nightlife is minimal and too spotty.

And the economy is horrible.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:23 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,336,853 times
Take the Sacramento critics with a big grain of salt. A browse of their posts on these forums and you'll find most of them don't have anything good to say about anything.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:00 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,435,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
All the amenities of Sacramento are underwhelming and subpar. There really is nothing you can do in Sac, that can't be done in most cities and even suburbs. Nothing cool to do or see. I took my kids to a sharks game last weekend and the aquarium. Can I do either of those in Sac? Nope. Have they even legalized food trucks there, or is that silly law still around? The opera and philharmonic cancelled their fall season. I don't know what is worse, the fact that there is no culture there, or the fact that people don't care. It is so dull, the city has no pulse or energy. The nightlife is minimal and too spotty. And the economy is horrible.
In my 11 years here, I see Sacramento as more like a clique comprised of either people who were born here or relocated because it was said to be quiet, crime-free and most important, so unlike bad places like Looney L.A. or flamboyant San Francisco. It started out intending to be a real city but decided that endless houses and less business development was the way to go and ended up a gigantic suburb. Nice and quiet supposedly, but not much as far as nightlife goes. Fine for old codgers like myself but not much here to keep active people amused. So if you like biking, foreign food, jogging or river activities here is your home. All that other stuff is a short ride east or west, on the 80.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:42 PM

256 posts, read 368,188 times
NorCal Dude, I won't try to talk you out of your opinion because you are right that there are many things that you can do in a big city that you can't do in Sacramento, but if you have not checked out events at the Mondavi Center in Davis, you really should. We don't go there as often as we did before we had kids, but we enjoyed a lot of music and dance events there when it first opened. (People actually travel from the Bay Area to attend events at the Mondavi! Shocking, I know.)

Old 11-05-2014, 12:48 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,336,853 times
My kid was crazy about the train museum in Old Town, and the short walk to the ice cream store. We made the trek several times to Sacramento just for that.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:14 PM

979 posts, read 2,097,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post

It is so dull, the city has no pulse or energy. The nightlife is minimal and too spotty.

And the economy is horrible.
That's like saying I can go to a Kings game and the railroad museum. Can you do that in San Jose? I lived in the Bay Area for seven years, SJ is nothing special. It doesn't blow me away and lacks character. The nightlife is just as spotty of not bland compared to Sacramento.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento