Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 04:19 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,867,015 times

Advertisements

I can't wait for the Republics to join MLS and build a riverfront stadium!

If Sactown can pull off the riverfront stadium, IMO it is going to be the most picturesque of all MLS stadium!!!

I'm a Quakes fan and I can't wait to go to the away game at Sactown!!!! Go Quakes! Go Republics!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 05:00 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,340,373 times
I'm pretty excited about the Giants AAA team coming to Rivercats Stadium.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:28 PM

8,674 posts, read 17,323,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
All the amenities of Sacramento are underwhelming and subpar.

There really is nothing you can do in Sac, that can't be done in most cities and even suburbs.

Nothing cool to do or see.
You're not looking in the right places then, or just not bothering to look. There isn't all that much you can do in most cities that you can't do in most other cities--every city has a few unique things, but for the most part, people do the same stuff in different places.

Quote:
I took my kids to a sharks game last weekend and the aquarium. Can I do either of those in Sac? Nope. Have they even legalized food trucks there, or is that silly law still around?
Where was the Sharks game? I assume that it wasn't in San Jose, because there isn't an aquarium in San Jose, and because San Jose has a food truck law that limits food trucks to 15 minute stops in any location. Sacramento has a 30 minute time limit on food trucks on the books, but that doesn't stop us from having very regular food-truck gatherings, like SactoMoFo or Food Truck Mania. There are usually food trucks at many of the weekly farmer's markets and weekend events/celebrations/festivals, from Farm to Fork Week to marathons and bike races, and outside local breweries like New Helvetia on Broadway. They can also park on state property with no time limit, so I see them downtown quite often feeding state employees on their breaks. You can find them using Sac Food Truck Tracker but I see food trucks all over town. Do we need to get rid of that silly 30 minute law? Yes, and we can thank a handful of jealous restaurant owners for its presence in the first place, but it seems to be turning into one of those "no flogging your mule in public on a Sunday" type laws that is on the books but nobody really cares about enforcing it.

Quote:
The opera and philharmonic cancelled their fall season. I don't know what is worse, the fact that there is no culture there, or the fact that people don't care.

It is so dull, the city has no pulse or energy. The nightlife is minimal and too spotty.

And the economy is horrible.
The Philharmonic and Opera had to cancel due to ongoing financial problems. But there are plans underway to move both organizations into new headquarters, along with Sacramento Ballet. We're a tough city for fine arts because there isn't really a big tradition of philanthropy among the local gentry, and, as you have no doubt noticed, there aren't all that many of them. It is probably too lumpen and crude for your obviously refined tastes, being so interested in opera and orchestra, but the Launch festival happened a couple weeks ago, drawing about 20,000 people, and the big metal festival Aftershock happened a couple weeks before that. There is a constant stream of live music shows happening at smaller venues around town--most weekends are a question of which of several interesting events to attend, but they tend to be relatively small, intimate events, not a gigantic throng of 100,000 people. I had a great time this weekend, saw a couple of live shows including a basement show in a very off-the-radar venue with about 50 people present, a duo from Davis called the Magi-Kool Dudes and local punk band RAD. Next week legendary local funk/soul DJ Larry Rodriguez is celebrating his birthday party with a day-long festival of outsider bands, including a performance art troupe from Estonia (featuring Sacramento expatriate Steve Vanoni) that should be a real hoot. Maybe both of those events sound really boring to you. Sorry 'bout that.

Some might call it dull, compared to Chicago, which is a great city, one I love very much, but very intense, very wound-up, and a whole lot bigger than Sacramento. Comparing any city to San Francisco is difficult because they're one of the biggest cultural centers in the world, and for various reasons the epicenter of a huge economic tide that, at least according to some San Franciscans I know, is coming at a great cost in culture and long-standing social institutions--like all the artists getting priced out and moving to Oakland, or even to Sacramento.

Back in the Seventies, northern California was called "mellow," which was considered a good thing at the time. We're still kind of a mellow place, and a lot of us just plain like to take it easy. We have an energy, but it's a smoother vibe than the jolting pulse of Chicago or the digital zing of Frisco. It's easier to enjoy Sacramento if you can relax and take it easy--that may be why one of our city's nicknames is "The Big Easy Chair."

Old 11-05-2014, 06:29 PM

8,674 posts, read 17,323,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
I can't wait for the Republics to join MLS and build a riverfront stadium!
The name of the team is Republic. Singular, no S necessary. And the stadium will be about a mile from the riverfront, in the Railyards. Should be interesting to see.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:16 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,154,562 times
Quote:
All the amenities of Sacramento are underwhelming and subpar.

There really is nothing you can do in Sac, that can't be done in most cities and even suburbs.

Nothing cool to do or see.

I took my kids to a sharks game last weekend and the aquarium. Can I do either of those in Sac? Nope. Have they even legalized food trucks there, or is that silly law still around?

The opera and philharmonic cancelled their fall season. I don't know what is worse, the fact that there is no culture there, or the fact that people don't care.

It is so dull, the city has no pulse or energy. The nightlife is minimal and too spotty.

And the economy is horrible.
The OP did post about Sacramento and surrounding area so I'm assuming, as your location is listed as San Leandro, you'd consider SF and San Jose as surrounding area. Hence the comment about the Sharks game and aquarium. However, while on a map SF and SJ may appear close in reality you 'd still be driving a distance from San Leandro to get to SF or SJ. Also one would need to account for the hellish Bay Area traffic (been through San Leandro on the way to neighboring Castro Valley). You could always take BART and then MUNI in SF but all that takes time.

I've been to the Shark Tank and it's best to pay for close to the glass seats (don't forget to bring lots o cash) otherwise bring binoculars. On the other hand Stockton has a modern arena where the Stockton Thunder play. Secure parking, comfortable seats and you can view the action close up so that it doesn't feel like you are watching the game on your smart phone screen. Affordable too. Easy drive from Sacramento.

Every year the company I work for puts on an event involving food trucks from the Sacramento area. Good food, yum. So whatever silly law may be around good food trucks exist in the area.

Robert Mondavi Center is located in nearby Davis. The Czech philharmonic is playing this week. Ma Vlast anyone? Ok, they aren't playing that but they are an excellent orchestra!

Been to the Aquarium by the Bay at Pier 39. A nice place for a family outing as well as the Academy of Sciences (they have fish on display as well). A day trip to SF is certainly doable from Sacramento as well.

As one poster indicated the railroad museum is beloved by kids and I would also highly recommend the California Automobile Museum. Sacramento Zoo is also a hit with the kids. Don't forget Fairy Tale Town.

Anyway sorry getting a bit off topic since the OP is likely interested in more adult things to do but just so you know....

Old 11-06-2014, 04:22 AM

528 posts, read 869,750 times
Quote:
Because it is not an impressive city. Nothing really cool to see or do. Ask the locals what to do, and all you ger is some place to eat and drink coffee. It's a very boring town.
Eating and drinking coffee is fine. They can be attributes as well as breweries but it seems when most people advertise cool things in Sac, the outdoors come first and foremost where its a 3rd thing they may bring up in other cities and will mention entertainment, theatre, gay community, music scene and food first. Like native Kansas City BBQ and blues, flat enough to farm, hospitality.. that to me would be more attractive right off the bat. What signature item is native to Sacramento? Burger joints? I mean ya the most popular foods in America can all be found here and theres good breakfast but not much else but also tons of fast food in this city too. Above average amounts easily so if you want that to be your claim to fame great.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,987,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsearcher14 View Post
Im considering moving to the sacramento and surrounding area and all I keep reading about Sac makes it out to be a horrible place to live ;( This post is not meant to offend anyone, as Im sure its a great place to live (god knows I might be moving there LOL) but just wondering why the city gets such a bad rap. Thanks for any insight
for some reason it always has and I don't have a clue. We lived there clear back in the mid 70s, loved it but people would say, the only good thing about it was it was 1/2 way between the wonderful bay area and the beautiful Lake Tahoe. I thought the weather was great, the people friendly, nice homes, not a lot of crime except maybe in a few areas, the capitol is amazing and the cost of living isn't particularly high. You have 2 rivers, the mountains in the background, decent shopping and good medical facilities. What more do we need, right?

Old 11-06-2014, 05:41 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,371,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
I'm pretty excited about the Giants AAA team coming to Rivercats Stadium.
The Riverrats are a dead brand. Jumping on the Giants's coattails, after the successful player pool the A's have given them, was clear desperation. I hope SRFC puts them out of their misery soon.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:12 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,340,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
The Riverrats are a dead brand. Jumping on the Giants's coattails, after the successful player pool the A's have given them, was clear desperation. I hope SRFC puts them out of their misery soon.
You grossly underestimate the popularity of the SF Giants over the A's and how much traffic the Rivercats will bring from the Bay Area now that they are Giants.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:33 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,371,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
You grossly underestimate the popularity of the SF Giants over the A's and how much traffic the Rivercats will bring from the Bay Area now that they are Giants.
haha, the bay is oversaturated with local sports as is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento