Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-08-2014, 02:10 PM
 
1,148 posts, read 1,574,351 times
Reputation: 1311

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
I never claimed San Leandro to be that.

But it is more diverse than Sac, has higher density, higher median house hold income than sac, higher home values, better public transit, and better weather.

So even a blue collar-middle class bay area suburb is better than Sacramento. As far as culture, it is better to be 30 minutes from SF, than be in the heart of Sacramento.

Rathet than hate, Sacramento needs to learn how to emulate. Otherwise the city will never advance itself, and will remain a backwater town.
That's a joke, right? No offense, but I literally saw drug deals going down in downtown San Leandro in broad daylight. Dense schmense. Dense with broken down buildings and abandoned commercial lots. And it's not even close to as diverse as Sac. If you know the bay, many areas of it are segregated into highly concentrated neighborhoods where one ethnicity dominates. Ex: Sunnyvale. This does not = "diversity".

There are lot of decent areas of the bay which you could have picked to argue in favor of Sac. Lol so instead you choose.....San Leandro. Hey why stop there. Heyward is just a gem, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-08-2014, 02:53 PM
 
8,674 posts, read 17,300,284 times
Reputation: 4685
Sacramento is such a wide area and means so many different things, depending on where you are, that it's hard to generalize about it, which is why it's hard to capture into a single image or idea--so some visitors who want a simple, easy to remember image may well overlook it. Just got back from an event in a gorgeous 1885 mansion (it's also a hostel, you can stay there for under $100 a night!) and picking a few tomatoes from my backyard (they won't last long but some are still ripening) for a salad. This evening I'll stroll down the street for Thai food and an art show, then stop at the Bike Kitchen to catch a live band (the Four Eyes) and meander the other art galleries, then hit another live show with more bands tonight. Tomorrow is a science fiction convention in West Sacramento. So we don't have an aquarium...oh well, neither does San Leandro!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2014, 04:44 PM
 
Location: San Leandro
4,576 posts, read 9,169,267 times
Reputation: 3248
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post
That's a joke, right? No offense, but I literally saw drug deals going down in downtown San Leandro in broad daylight. Dense schmense. Dense with broken down buildings and abandoned commercial lots. And it's not even close to as diverse as Sac. If you know the bay, many areas of it are segregated into highly concentrated neighborhoods where one ethnicity dominates. Ex: Sunnyvale. This does not = "diversity".

There are lot of decent areas of the bay which you could have picked to argue in favor of Sac. Lol so instead you choose.....San Leandro. Hey why stop there. Heyward is just a gem, too.

Not a joke, facts.

San Leandro is not only more diverse than Sacramento, it is less segregated. There is no census tract in San Leandro with a racial majority. Not even in the hills where I live, where houses go for 600-800k. Compare this to East Sac, Land Park, and Curtis Park, which are totally white.

I doubt you saw abandoned commercial lots and downtown drug deals in San Leandro. You were in Sacramento, and went down K street, and thought you were in San Leandro. Your city is the poster child for abandoned lots, broken down buildings, and downtown drug deals. Who are you kidding?

Of course I chose the San Leandro hills to live. I wake up and have a stunning view of the bay, SF, and Oakland. What do you see when you wake up and look out the window?

I would not talk down on Hayward either, their real estate is more valuable than Sacramento, too.

That is the thing, you move to the bay, and you realize anywhere in the bay is an improvement over Sacramento.

Your post is almost as comical as when you tried to say Sac was better than San Diego, LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2014, 10:50 PM
 
1,148 posts, read 1,574,351 times
Reputation: 1311
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Not a joke, facts.

San Leandro is not only more diverse than Sacramento, it is less segregated. There is no census tract in San Leandro with a racial majority. Not even in the hills where I live, where houses go for 600-800k. Compare this to East Sac, Land Park, and Curtis Park, which are totally white.

I doubt you saw abandoned commercial lots and downtown drug deals in San Leandro. You were in Sacramento, and went down K street, and thought you were in San Leandro. Your city is the poster child for abandoned lots, broken down buildings, and downtown drug deals. Who are you kidding?

Of course I chose the San Leandro hills to live. I wake up and have a stunning view of the bay, SF, and Oakland. What do you see when you wake up and look out the window?

I would not talk down on Hayward either, their real estate is more valuable than Sacramento, too.

That is the thing, you move to the bay, and you realize anywhere in the bay is an improvement over Sacramento.

Your post is almost as comical as when you tried to say Sac was better than San Diego, LOL
Yawn. And not long ago 1,000 SQ foot homes were going for $900k in Richmond. Yet no one (well, possibly with the exception of you and some east bay rappers) talks up Richmond. No one argued that the price of real estate in the bay is absurdly overpriced. All that proves is that people who work in San Francisco have been priced out of that cityand are forced to buy in places like Hunters Point....or San Leandro.

Stunning my a-- lol. I'll remember that as my car bounces up and down over that potholed stretch of 880. And Hayward is downright scary my friend. I am not going to tit for tat you on this - your city sucks, no yours does more - when every bay area native (such as myself) already knows what the east bay is in a nutshell. Who you foolin' dude. I like what I see fine because I am not stupid enough to pay $800k for it.

Last edited by sacite; 11-08-2014 at 10:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2014, 12:13 AM
 
8,674 posts, read 17,300,284 times
Reputation: 4685
Definitely a case of Inverse Franciscanism. The delusion that any cruddy corner of the Bay Area is better than any place in Sacramento is a desperate attempt to mentally justify spending $600-800K for a house in San Leandro or some other nowhere place like that, when an equivalent house in Sacramento probably costs half that. I'm sure it's a nice view, but is a view and a slightly shorter drive to San Francisco than someone in Sacramento worth $400K?

East Sacramento is pretty white. But Land Park and Curtis Park? Not so much. Seriously, this guy has probably never even stopped in Sacramento, just driven through in the wave of Bay Areans in their lemming-like rush up 50 to the Sierras.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2014, 12:44 AM
 
1,148 posts, read 1,574,351 times
Reputation: 1311
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Definitely a case of Inverse Franciscanism. The delusion that any cruddy corner of the Bay Area is better than any place in Sacramento is a desperate attempt to mentally justify spending $600-800K for a house in San Leandro or some other nowhere place like that, when an equivalent house in Sacramento probably costs half that. I'm sure it's a nice view, but is a view and a slightly shorter drive to San Francisco than someone in Sacramento worth $400K?

East Sacramento is pretty white. But Land Park and Curtis Park? Not so much. Seriously, this guy has probably never even stopped in Sacramento, just driven through in the wave of Bay Areans in their lemming-like rush up 50 to the Sierras.
Everything you posted is spot on. But your first two sentences sum it up perfectly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2014, 05:24 AM
 
Location: San Leandro
4,576 posts, read 9,169,267 times
Reputation: 3248
Rofl, someone from Sac calling a place "no where". Uhh you live in the central valley my friend. I live in a metro with 8 million people.

Hayward? Scary? Rofl, hayward (like san leandro) has a LOWER crime rate than Sacramento. Nice try!

People here pay large amounts of money for homes, but we actually have an economy here. Sacramento's economy is god awful.

Sacramento is not even in a position to talk about real estate. The entire real estate market in Sac revolves around how much people in the bay want to specuflip there. No point in barking up that tree.

Land park and curtis park not white? LoL the census seems to suggest otherwise! Like I said, plenty of segregation in Sac, much more than where I live.

Like I said, I have lived in the Sac metro and graduated from Granite Bay High. As well as chicago and the bay. All of these places have inferiority complexes, but Sacramento has it the worst. Such bitter harvest anger that everyone thumbs their nose at sac.

The past two governors have not even bothered to move to Sac. It's THAT bad.

To quote what Lt. Gov Newsom said about Sac, "It's just so dull. Sadly, I just, ugh, God."


The simple fact that a few of you try to talk down a bay area burb (that I did not even bring up), that is more diverse, higher income, more dense, higher home values, better public transit, and lower crime, is a perfect demonstration of the mentalities found in Sacramento. You can't pick on a city your own size, so you choose a place that is a fraction of the size, and even then do not have much of a leg to stand on. LoL classic Sacramento right there! And I don't miss it!

Last edited by NorCal Dude; 11-09-2014 at 06:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2014, 09:07 AM
 
8,674 posts, read 17,300,284 times
Reputation: 4685
Granite Bay. Okay, that explains it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2014, 09:53 AM
 
Location: Sacramento, Ca.
2,440 posts, read 3,434,376 times
Reputation: 2629
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Rofl, someone from Sac calling a place "no where". Uhh you live in the central valley my friend. I live in a metro with 8 million people.

Hayward? Scary? Rofl, hayward (like san leandro) has a LOWER crime rate than Sacramento. Nice try!

People here pay large amounts of money for homes, but we actually have an economy here. Sacramento's economy is god awful.

Sacramento is not even in a position to talk about real estate. The entire real estate market in Sac revolves around how much people in the bay want to specuflip there. No point in barking up that tree.

Land park and curtis park not white? LoL the census seems to suggest otherwise! Like I said, plenty of segregation in Sac, much more than where I live.

Like I said, I have lived in the Sac metro and graduated from Granite Bay High. As well as chicago and the bay. All of these places have inferiority complexes, but Sacramento has it the worst. Such bitter harvest anger that everyone thumbs their nose at sac.

The past two governors have not even bothered to move to Sac. It's THAT bad.

To quote what Lt. Gov Newsom said about Sac, "It's just so dull. Sadly, I just, ugh, God."


The simple fact that a few of you try to talk down a bay area burb (that I did not even bring up), that is more diverse, higher income, more dense, higher home values, better public transit, and lower crime, is a perfect demonstration of the mentalities found in Sacramento. You can't pick on a city your own size, so you choose a place that is a fraction of the size, and even then do not have much of a leg to stand on. LoL classic Sacramento right there! And I don't miss it!
I grew up in Los Angeles and have lived in Sac Valley for almost 11 years. And have read more negative summaries from Sac natives about other competitive cities than transparent commentary about The Capitol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2014, 10:25 AM
 
8,674 posts, read 17,300,284 times
Reputation: 4685
A lot of these "Sac natives" didn't grow up in Sacramento, they grew up in the "uncity" suburbs or places like Granite Bay, in Placer County. I don't blame anyone for hating Sacramento if they grew up in the Sacramento suburbs--I grew up in the Sacramento suburbs, and back then I hated Sacramento too. But I'm not a native, and yeah, non-natives tend to be the ones who see the charms of our adopted city. There was no "settling" for Sacramento for me--I'm living in a neighborhood I fell in love with as a teenager, where my aunt lived (a fellow Cook County transplant.)

I sometimes thinks that some people are just incapable of seeing what Sacramento has to offer--and I include Lt. Governor Hairstyle among them. Jerry Brown isn't in that group--I think he kept his Oakland residence because Anne Gust Brown didn't want to live above PF Chang's and Mikuni full-time (their Sacramento residence) but if Brown was a bachelor he'd probably be perfectly happy with a small rented apartment in Midtown/Downtown, just as he was during his first administration when he rejected moving into the brand-new Governor's Mansion out in the suburbs. Instead, he chose a small apartment across from the Capitol, and a few blocks from his favorite hangouts like David's Brass Rail and 524. And today when he looks for a place to have parties and receptions, like his election-results/victory party last week, it's almost always the old Governor's Mansion at 16th and H, where his dad lived when he was Governor.

Sacramento transplant and world traveler Thomas Dodson put it very eloquently here: I hate Sacramento - Sacramento Press
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top