Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 12:21 PM

660 posts, read 1,081,591 times

Advertisements

Now I understand where your mentality comes from, NorCalDude. Granite Bay high school clearly makes you an expert on all things Sacramento. Not even the same county ffs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 01:31 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,306,051 times
If NorCalDude wanted to argue that San Francisco is denser and more exciting than Sacramento, I think he would have a point. If you wanted to argue that Sacramento was lot like Oakland with hotter summers again I would say you had a point. Moreover if you wanted to argue that the Bay Area economy is more diverse and stronger, again I would also still say that you have made some valid points. There are parts of the East Bay that are gorgeous, the views from the Oakland Hills and Peidmont are amazing. Rockridge is a fairly nice part of Oakland. So I am not denying that there are some valid arguments to be made in favor of the Bay Area or even the East Bay against Sacramento. I have acknowledged many of them.

But San Leandro has all of the charm of Broderick or Bryte. Singing the praises of San Leandro is like singing the praises of Hayward. Its a community only rivaled in the Sacramento region by say North Highlands or maybe Rio Linda. There is a reason many of us left the Bay Area because we didn't want to get stuck paying too much to live in that kind of crappy overpriced part of the Bay Area. I am not saying that there are parts of the bay area or even the East Bay that are nice, but like you I couldn't actually afford to live in one of them, that is why I left. What I don't understand is why people like you continue to stay to pay so much to live in San Leandro.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:32 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
I'm glad you like your suburb, NorCalDude.

Great view from San Leandro City Hall's front steps!

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7289...XTX_5J4YEg!2e0

And here's the view from dumpy ol' Sacramento City Hall's front steps:

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.5816...9URA2Ws4mQ!2e0

Last edited by wburg; 11-09-2014 at 07:58 PM..

Old 11-10-2014, 12:19 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,207,935 times
I think ppl who give sacramento a bad rap are either:

ignorant in the fact that they drove by sacramento, stayed only a day or two in sacramento, or never been in sacramento.

or

they're comparing it to world class cities like SF, LA, and SD.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:01 AM

528 posts, read 867,015 times
Ok first things first, that article where that guy mentioned Paris was a little off base. Maybe some time ago when Sac was even more affordable than today it had more redeeming qualities but still, I still don't see much exciting even in the city, its just better to live than the foothills but compared to every other US metro or many, Sac I would say is the most boring or at least out of any area I been. I said it before I'll say it again, while some things present nicely in Sacramento, I have seen more excitement in some places with a fraction of the people (100-250 k population) in other states. I don't know what it is, I have no idea if its the small towners holding it back or the bay area pukes moving in but there seems to be tension and a power struggle between the 2 at the very least. Get rid of that and reduce water consumption some and it could be a better place.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:56 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,761,515 times
It's hot and the city used to be worse than it is now. From what I read, the city has made heaps of improvements and I noticed alot of jobs in my field in the area open up. I heard alot of job opportunities all over pop up. The downtown is in redevelopment and the city is building some more nice suburban areas on the outskirts. The city is also getting a second Whole Foods.

The suburbs like Folsom and Elk Grove are nice too.

Old 11-22-2014, 07:52 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,161,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
If NorCalDude wanted to argue that San Francisco is denser and more exciting than Sacramento, I think he would have a point. If you wanted to argue that Sacramento was lot like Oakland with hotter summers again I would say you had a point. Moreover if you wanted to argue that the Bay Area economy is more diverse and stronger, again I would also still say that you have made some valid points. There are parts of the East Bay that are gorgeous, the views from the Oakland Hills and Peidmont are amazing. Rockridge is a fairly nice part of Oakland. So I am not denying that there are some valid arguments to be made in favor of the Bay Area or even the East Bay against Sacramento. I have acknowledged many of them.

But San Leandro has all of the charm of Broderick or Bryte. Singing the praises of San Leandro is like singing the praises of Hayward. Its a community only rivaled in the Sacramento region by say North Highlands or maybe Rio Linda. There is a reason many of us left the Bay Area because we didn't want to get stuck paying too much to live in that kind of crappy overpriced part of the Bay Area. I am not saying that there are parts of the bay area or even the East Bay that are nice, but like you I couldn't actually afford to live in one of them, that is why I left. What I don't understand is why people like you continue to stay to pay so much to live in San Leandro.

LoL I live in the San Leandro hills, and it has more beauty than anywhere in Sac. North Highlands and Rio Linda's median house hold income is not even close to San Leandro, LOL. It's like 38k vs 62k. Not even close

Now, if we want to use actual facts, San Leadro median house hold income is higher than carmichael and lower than fair oaks. So those of us in the "crappy" parts of the bay make about as much as Sac's middle of the road areas. That's pretty funny, LOL.

I think the bay area is really just too large and dynamic for Sac people to understand. It seems like most of you probably haven't been to the East Bay in a decade. But that is Sac, 10 years behind what is really going on.

And I never held San Leandro up on a pedestal. I merely noted that Sacramento is lacking compared to similar sized metros.

For doing this, I am insulted for where I choose to live.

But that's the "Sacramento Way". A typical low brow, shoot the messenger, type of government town.

That's the Sacramento mentality. Ask why you have a bad rep, people tell you, and rather than working to fix the problems, you get indignant. It's no wonder Sac is competing with Elk Grove for a soccer team, and why west sac is developing a river front and has a baseball team. That's Sac-whine and pout, then lash out.

You can insult san leandro all you want. We are comfy in our own skin. And stats pretty much have dispelled all your petty insults. I go in my backyard and see a view of the bay and am soothed. But going into the valley will always make me cringe. If not for my dad living in Granite Bay, there would be no reason to even bother with the entire metro.

Last edited by NorCal Dude; 11-22-2014 at 08:05 AM..

Old 11-22-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
If you were to say to the grown-ups: “I saw a beautiful house made of rosy brick, with geraniums in the windows and doves on the roof,” they would not be able to get an idea of that house at all. You have have to say to them: “I saw a house that cost $20,000.” Then they would exclaim: “Oh, what a pretty house that is!”
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
I suppose if I grew up in Granite Bay, I'd hate Sacramento too, and assign value to a place solely based on its dollar value and the income of its residents. But seriously, San Leandro looks like basically what you'd expect to find adhered to Oakland's taint, and people have to delude themselves into believing it's worth it to pay twice what Sacramentans do to live there. Love the vacant lots across the street from San Leandro City Hall.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:38 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
LOTS of people here in the North Bay hate Sacramento. They think it's vanilla and bland and big box and hot. Most of them are "quaint town" kinda people who get all squeely-excited over towns with squares that offer lots of pretentious wine tasting shops and farmers markets and cosmopolitan overpriced restaurants with locally made art on the walls and GMO-free food. If you are that person then, yes, you will hate Sacramento.

I am not. I happen to like malls, warm nights, IKEA, affordable homes, a swimming pool I can use more than 3 weeks a year, and being close to I-5.

Whether you like ANY city depends entirely on what kinds of things matter to you. You have to take with a grain of salt the opinions of people who don't live there. It's why they don't live there. It's not for them. Doesn't mean it wouldn't be for you.
I'm with you...we have friends who live in the SF bay area and when we told them we bought a house in Sac they seemed a little shocked that we didn't spend every single penny we had to our names in order to engage in a bidding war for a crap shack in Marin or Sonoma County rather than live in a place like OMG "Sacramento" We love it here, plenty of restaurants, great shopping - IKEA, Koreana Plaza, Fry's more parks than I can count, great weather, what more could you want?

Old 11-23-2014, 10:58 AM

I like Oakland just fine, they have a lot of civic pride that they don't mind sharing with visitors through the "Oaklandish" campaign, and their "first Friday" art walk, which draws crowds of about half what we get at Second Saturday (and a quarter of what Second Saturday got back when it was still a mob scene.) But they're also losing long-held cultural institutions, as San Francisco is, due to development pressure and the superheated housing market.

As I have mentioned above, I don't mind at all that NorCalDude is happy in San Leandro, but he seems to strongly object when people are happy in Sacramento, because he wasn't happy living in a remote suburb outside of Sacramento. And I suppose a Granite Bay native is too erudite and high-class to understand my crass, lower-middle-class Citrus Heights argot--"taint" is a slang term for "perineum."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento