U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2008, 12:18 PM

216 posts, read 340,823 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Getting close to making offers but I'm completely new
to the area and never bought a home in CA before.
So I will need to rely on a good inspector and attorney.

I need some good unbiased
recommendations for home inspectors and real estate
attorney's. Unbiased recommendations is the key since
it's not that your friend or long term acquaintance
is not good, just that they'll give you a better level of service
than a total stranger.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by inpd; 01-01-2008 at 12:40 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 08:05 PM

3,613 posts, read 5,743,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inpd View Post
I need some good unbiased
recommendations for home inspectors and real estate
attorney's. Unbiased recommendations is the key since
it's not that your friend or long term acquaintance
is not good, just that they'll give you a better level of service
than a total stranger.

Thanks in advance!
I will PM you the name of an inspector, so as not to be "advertising" on here.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:11 AM

6,958 posts, read 21,330,634 times
What do you need an attorney for? I seem to remember you using a real estate agent to look at property? No?

Almost all real estate transactions in CA are done without an attorney, although I know back east and in the south it's common.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:53 AM

216 posts, read 340,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
What do you need an attorney for? I seem to remember you using a real estate agent to look at property? No?

Almost all real estate transactions in CA are done without an attorney, although I know back east and in the south it's common.
Firstly, of course please PM me since one cannot advertise on this board.

Right, I've only bought real estate in NY and there there is an attorney review
clause (in facts its a contingency). I found it quite useful since the attorney is paid
for by you, where as the realtor is effectively paid by the seller. I know they are
supposed to work for you but in the end, the seller pays their commission not
me.

Last edited by inpd; 01-02-2008 at 01:23 PM..

Old 01-02-2008, 03:49 PM

6,958 posts, read 21,330,634 times
I really can't help you for a reference in the Sac area on either an attorney or an inspector so no "advertising" isn't really an issue for me. I would shop for inspectors and go with the one that has been in business the longest.

While in fact the real estate agents commission is paid for by the seller, if you were my client, my allegiance would be to you, not the seller. I do have to abide by the "subagency" created by our MLS agreements, but I would definitely be acting on your behalf and not the sellers.

When I was working in another state, a client took our standard form contract (which was 1 page at the time) to his attorney who reformatted it on a numbered down the side legal agreement and charged my client $200 for the effort. Not a word was changed. I honestly think that the CA system of doing business is largely responsible for the ease of transactions here and possibly the volume.

There are agents that work as a buyers agent exclusively and in that model you agree to pay them a percentage of the sales price at closing and in most cases the seller is only obligated to pay the listing agent an amount equal to half of the original listing agreement. The sales price is usually adjusted to reflect the lower cost to the seller. I'm not a big fan of that model as it further complicates the transaction, but it's another path the the holy land.

Good luck to you in any case, as a buyer you're definitely in the drivers seat.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:12 AM

1 posts, read 2,285 times
Hi All,

I'm looking for recommendations on home inspector and real estate attorney (trust) as well and would appreciate if anyone could provide some pointers. Thanks in advance!

Old 05-22-2008, 01:25 AM

7 posts, read 12,174 times
Default Need inspectors rec here too

Hi! I'm buying a house in Sacramento and I need a home inspector and real estate attorney. Any recommendations or warnings? Message me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
View detailed profiles of: