Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 07:43 PM

43 posts, read 72,953 times

Advertisements

Hi! I would like know from someone who lives in Sac or visits a lot- the pros and cons of living in Sac.

What do you think about Cal state univ Sac?

Is this city pretty populated with teens everywhere? Or is it mostly older people?

Also, can someone tell me... just out of curiosity what race is very populated there? Like are there mostly Mexicans, whites, blacks, etc? Or quite diverse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 11:49 PM

306 posts, read 701,370 times
Cons:
-It feels like you're in an oven all the time.
-A car is a necessity as the area of "Sacramento" has a weird patch-like way of existing and you will need to drive to places.
-Rent is high.
-Most areas are simultaneously bland and sort of gross out in the suburbs, and downtown is filled with homeless people.
-There's not really that much to do here, unless I guess you want to get drunk, or cycle through the five decent restaurants they have in town.

Pros:
-You can escape to San Francisco in about 1.5 hours by car.
-You can fly to places like Portland, Seattle, Las Vegas and L.A. for pretty cheap, quick plane rides.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:03 AM

528 posts, read 866,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffincake View Post
Cons:
-A car is a necessity as the area of "Sacramento" has a weird patch-like way of existing and you will need to drive to places.
-Rent is high.
-Most areas are simultaneously bland and sort of gross out in the suburbs, and downtown is filled with homeless people.
-There's not really that much to do here, unless I guess you want to get drunk, or cycle through the five decent restaurants they have in town.

Pros:
-You can escape to San Francisco in about 1.5 hours by car.
-You can fly to places like Portland, Seattle, Las Vegas and L.A. for pretty cheap, quick plane rides.
HAHA all Sacramento is good for is how quick and cheap you can leave pretty much. You must not be happy here. I am a little more Northeast of Sacramento and I don't like it either very much and looking to move ASAP.

And it does seem true, Downtown Sacramento does not have all the greatest restaurants. I never had a desire say to go to Jacks Urban Eats or somewhere like Ink, very average. Sometimes you gotta go to the poor parts and even there you won't always hit it for great food either. Chinese food here for instance to me is average. I like it on the East Coast better or on the idea of Trader Vics in L.A, or the Polynesian style places with hawaiian looking walls and a dark dingy atmosphere which are so few and far between here. If you're into Pho which I am really not very often, then I guess its good but too many vegetables in it and it doesn't do too much for me same with Vietnamese and all that crap.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:22 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,839,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCountry80 View Post
And it does seem true, Downtown Sacramento does not have all the greatest restaurants. I never had a desire say to go to Jacks Urban Eats or somewhere like Ink, very average.
Lol, Ink and Jacks both are located in midtown, or downtown as you call it. Although, Jacks is a chain in everywhere in the Sacto region.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:57 AM

528 posts, read 866,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
Lol, Ink and Jacks both are located in midtown, or downtown as you call it. Although, Jacks is a chain in everywhere in the Sacto region.
Oh it is? I thought Jacks was the only one.. oh and I also forgot, some of the Japanese food I had was very average. I don't mean sushi but the cooked stuff more. I found better stuff in the malls in my lifetime and for cheaper. Just seems every Japanese place is the same too and they serve it in different sections of a square bento box instead of all in it and on top of the rice.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:30 AM

43 posts, read 72,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCountry80 View Post
Oh it is? I thought Jacks was the only one.. oh and I also forgot, some of the Japanese food I had was very average. I don't mean sushi but the cooked stuff more. I found better stuff in the malls in my lifetime and for cheaper. Just seems every Japanese place is the same too and they serve it in different sections of a square bento box instead of all in it and on top of the rice.
All of this, and I still only got 1 meaningful reply. lol

Old 11-05-2014, 08:14 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,277,077 times
This isn't a super high traffic forum, it takes a while for people to respond. There are people of all ages in Sacramento, it's not all young or all old. We're a very ethnically diverse city. CSUS (Sacramento State) has a good reputation but isn't considered as highly as UC Davis, since it's a CSU instead of a UC. Sacramento State is a commuter school, so there isn't much college-town vibe around it once you leave campus, but if you're looking for an area with a more youthful feel, you'll probably find it in Midtown, a couple miles west of the campus.

GoldCountry80 has a particular perspective on life, one that not many here agree with. I've had some pretty good Japanese food here, and it's hardly the only city where they use square bento boxes. Jack's Urban Eats is a local chain, the one he refers to on 20th and Capitol is the original location. Jack's and Ink are okay but wouldn't consider them much beyond mid-range for Midtown, let alone the whole city--although, yes, there are some really good restaurants outside the central city grid, most of the local foodies are quite enthusiastic about the Southeast Asian and Mexican restaurants along Stockton Boulevard well south of downtown, or little places in West Sacramento.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:11 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,651,638 times
The easiest way to answer your demographic questions is to point you to the stats. Sacramento, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sac is pretty diverse in terms of age range, ethnicity, sexual orientation, etc, but that varies massively based on the neighborhood you're in.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:57 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,799,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffincake View Post
Cons:
Better an oven than a steamroom. Coming from the humid summer Midwest, don't you agree?

Old 11-05-2014, 07:02 PM

306 posts, read 701,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
Better an oven than a steamroom. Coming from the humid summer Midwest, don't you agree?
But it doesn't get as hot in the midwest and the heat waves are of shorter duration throughout the year. Sacramento is both incredibly hot and it stays that hot for most of the year. So it's as much an issue of tolerance as it is endurance. If the oppressively hot days in Sacramento got broken up by intermittent cold fronts or cloudy/rainy days, that would provide some relief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento